Has Nolan ruined Burtons Batmans for you?

Mr Webber

Master Member
For me yes. Both the Burton movies were on the box the other night and after not watching them for a while was surprised at just how poor they were by nearly every standard, only some elements of the production design stand up.

Batman Begins really drew me in, The Dark Knight completely blew me away and The Dark Knight Rises could be the best movie i have ever seen, still processing. I got caught up back in the day in all the hype and was left a little flat but now after seeing Nolans trilogy, I dont think i could sit through any of the Burton ones ever again. Anyone else feel the same way?

Not in the least. I love the performances and art direction of the Burton films. I really liked Keaton, and thought Pfeiffer's Catwoman was terrific. And as much as Ledger's Joker was an amazing performance, I equally appreciate Jack's hamming it up.

Ive been a fan of Keatons since Nightshift, a young Kevin Costner in the freezer party scene, but now it (Batman) just doesnt work for me.

Burton ruined Burton's Batman for me.
BAZINGA!

And on-topic, yes for me. I was never a huge fan of the Burton Batman flicks, but I could enjoy them to an extent. The Nolan films do a GREAT job (again, for me) of bringing the batman mythos into the "real world", & they are literally the Batman films I've been waiting for since I was a kid.

Not at all. They're two completely different takes on Batman. Both Burton's and Nolan's films have their own aspects that I enjoy and appreciate. I recently watched Batman Returns again, and I still love it.

I did love the art direction of Burton's films. I wouldn't have minded more gothic architecture in Nolan's.

I'd have to say no. I'd choose to watch a Keaton Batman any day over ANY other. Granted, I do think that Batman Returns went a little off track, but the first Batman movie will forever be my fan favorite.

Keep in mind though, like the Adam West Batman, the Keaton Batman is from a different era now (23 years old now). Socially, technologically, etc...a lot of time has passed. So I don't think it's entirely fair to try and stack it up against a newly polished film series that's still in the theaters.

I liked Batman Begins and loved TDK, in fact it is my favorite movie. I like the Keaton Batman flicks but Clooney/Kilmer can be forgotten if its up to me.

Nope. I can still enjoy the first Burton Batman. I always hated Batman Returns so that's not a factor. I enjoy the old Batman serial from the 40's and I still like watching the Adam West Batman.

To me the quality or lack of quality of one does not ruin the enjoyment of any of the ones I liked from the start. They are all very different takes on the story and entertaining to me from both a design and story standpoint.

I'd have to say no. I'd choose to watch a Keaton Batman any day over ANY other. Granted, I do think that Batman Returns went a little off track, but the first Batman movie will forever be my fan favorite.

Keep in mind though, like the Adam West Batman, the Keaton Batman is from a different era now (23 years old now). Socially, technologically, etc...a lot of time has passed. So I don't think it's entirely fair to try and stack it up against a newly polished film series that's still in the theaters.

I think its fair to compare the movies regardless of time differences and the producers take on the character, im not a massive fan of the comic scene so i judge them simply for their cinematic qualities, obviously the tech differences are huge but good old fashioned movie making is timeless.

Comparing Nolan's to Burton's is like comparing Burton's to Adam West's. They're different visions, much like how certain writers and artists depict the character. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. I loved the Adam West Batman and Burton Batman when I was younger, and I love the Nolan version as well, all for different reasons (I'm going to ignore the neon-ridden Schumacher universe...)

And no movie version will ever soil this incarnation of the character...

batman_tas.jpg

Nolan smashed it out for me, its not perfect, but compared to the ridiculous tripe that Burton spewed out......its leaps and bounds a better movie.
I felt for Keaton, really liked him as the Bat/Wayne, just happened for him in the wrong directors "scissor" hands :lol.

lee

I love both series. I grew up loving and constantly wearing out burton VHS's and I'll always love em.

I agree with Moo though, TAS is the greatest Batman incarnation ever.

Not in the least for me. I still enjoy Burton's version as well. In all honesty, I prefer the campy 60's Adam West over all the Batman incarnations, with the Nolan films a close second.

The thing that REALLY made me loath Nolan's Batman was Bale. I never felt that he seemed mature enough to be Batman. Then every time he'd open his mouth (as Batman) it would drive me through the roof to hear him try to make a deep scary voice.

They are enjoyable/entertaining movies, but I don't get the excitement factor I get out of watching Jack and Michael on screen.

89 is my fave. Returns is booooring and killer penguins are just dumb. Both are gorgeous to look at though.

I just hate Christian bale. L never get past that simple fact. He just comes off like a ********* and his weird back of the mouth lisp thing keeps him from sounding tough to me.

Im a Nolan fan but I want a little more romanticism in my batman stories. A story that embrace the theatrics and absurdities of the batman world than trying to explain them away for a jaded and cynical audience.

Something that falls in between 89 and dark knight would probably be the perfect batman for me... And I think its called batman the animated series. ;)

Nick

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back