Has anyone made boots from scratch?

Murdoch

Sr Member
Just wondering has any of you made boots from scratch, specifically the rubber soles. Something that would last a good bit, I mean I know that making them equivalent to store bought is out of the question. But something that will last a few uses, then I could just make replacements when they do wear. Thanks so much in advance...GM

I have! There is a great tutorial for making boots out of marine vinyl, an old pair of dress shoes and shoe goo. (or E6000). Some skill with a sewing machine is helpful also. Of course, this method uses an existing pair of shoes, but they seem pretty sturdy and work well for continued use.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Grimwood but not quite what I was looking for. I want to make a boot sole, from rubber. I would make a mold and cast it in rubber just like a boot sole. Is there some sort of kit available, would anyone be aware of. Thanks again...GM

I spent a fair amount of time looking at making boots for my niece's Rey costume and did find a company that sold stuff for molding and casting soles.
Unfortunately I deleted the bookmark when I found the correct boot used.

For the soles you could take a look at this video: Tested: How To Make Kill Bill's '***** U' Shoes (NSFW for language)

I have made boot coverings to make one boot look like another but my pattern did not require any wet-forming.
You can't sew multiple layers of boot leather with a regular sewing machine. You would also need a special leather needle with a triangular tip for hand stitching.
What I did is that I made the holes in single layers of leather with a regular sewing machines and then I pulled the thread through the ready-made holes by hand but with a pair of leather-needles. This was a couple of days' work.

I guess I should have retitled this as- Looking for help making rubber soles for boots lol.
Sent off an email to a shoe maker and hopefully I'll get some input on it. Thanks for the suggestions guys...GM

MrGreene did just this for his Vash boots. He modeled and 3d printed the soles, then molded and cast them in rubber

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=203103

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back