Has anyone ever tried to 'shorten' a Mannequin?

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a mannequin that is over 6', around five inches too tall for the costume I want to display. In the UK (I don't know about elsewhere) practically all the mannequins available are giants!

I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted shortening a mannequin by cutting a section out of the legs or other means?

There are posts from people who have done hacked mannequins. Cutting a torso down, taking a female mannequin and cutting the breast portion off.

Hardest part will be making it even. If you are covering it up, then it doesn't matter as much as making it sturdy again.

One that I remember posting process was in the Star Wars forum tab with a full room display but I can't remember who the member is.

I cut a mannequin down to my height, so I ended up shrinking him by about 4". I took it out of the legs, I just made sure to take an even amount from each leg. I took it out twice, one below the knee and one above. This was because I wanted the knee proportions to be the same as me, and also because it meant there would be more glue joints opposed to if I just took a big chunk out.

When gluing back together, I used Gorilla super glue as an instant bond in the few places where the legs joined. Then I covered the seams and the gaps with Milliput. Finally, I fiberglassed them. They don't budge, although they creak a bit when I'm dressing him.
IMG_20180615_181906.jpg

Be careful though, the more you remove, the less chance your edges will butt to glue.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back