Has anyone else fallen out of love with Doctor Who?

To be honest, I don’t even really know how it ended. It got so boring I was only halfway paying attention to it, and I don’t know if the doctor fixed everything, or if it is only earth that is left as the entire universe now.

To be honest, I don’t even really know how it ended. It got so boring I was only halfway paying attention to it, and I don’t know if the doctor fixed everything, or if it is only earth that is left as the entire universe now.
I saw nothing about fixing anything....she sent all the bad guys to eat up the 'final flux' - which stopped that.

Prior to that, the only thing really left in this universe was....earth.

So, unless super purple guy undid things and they didn't tell us, or the address in the next couple specials, mega plot hole. Given the way chibnall's run has gone, i'm expecting mega-plot-hole.

This week BBC America has been running a DW marathon. Haven't really tuned in at all, but this afternoon I switched over while I was cooking supper.

First episode I caught was one of the last 2 with Clara. Watched all the way up to right now, & it's the second episode with Bill. This was about the time during the first run of episodes that I realized I was watching more out of obligation, but I've got to say, as I sit here right now, I've enjoyed these 3 or 4 episodes more than ANYTHING I've seen in the last 2 series. They're nowhere NEAR perfect & barely even good, but it's Doctor Who.

Can't really say I've felt this way about any of Jodie's run & that gives me hope that whatever Davies does, it's going to at LEAST be Doctor Who.

One thing that has bothered me over the years is how once a new show runner takes over you rarely see any of the old characters, River and Jack not withstanding. I know they want to put their own stamp on the show but this last run has completely thrown away almost everything we thought we knew about the Doctor. I didn't like everything Davies and Moffat did but after the last few years I'm looking back on them in fondness.

One thing that has bothered me over the years is how once a new show runner takes over you rarely see any of the old characters, River and Jack not withstanding. I know they want to put their own stamp on the show but this last run has completely thrown away almost everything we thought we knew about the Doctor. I didn't like everything Davies and Moffat did but after the last few years I'm looking back on them in fondness.
Seemed prevalent that way in the classic series as well. People generally didn't get a good start in one an continue in the new one. I mean, there was a tad more crossover then, but it seemed designed to transition the viewer and nothing more or the new companion for the new doctor was hired at the end of the last guys run for the same reason type stuff.

Now it does seem cut and dried, but it almost seems as if the showrunner is signed for 3 years and they sign a doctor/companion for 3 years or so. Or doctor/companion contracts are designed to run out when the showrunner's deal ends so the next guy can pick everything for their run. It does hurt that continuity for me. Frankly, it might actually help the new showrunners to have to keep something from the prior guys reign as a form of connection.

I started slowly watching less and less episodes prior to the Capaldi exit. My kid who was a big fan of 10 and 11 actually lost interest first and watching them stopped being an "event" in my household.

New episode was fine, I didn't have much problem with it.

Except "you are the most amazing person I've ever met"?

Really. Yaz.

REALLY?

I didn’t even know another one came out. Amazon should have it for a few bucks. May check it out.

Let me guess, The Doctor and Yaz are an item now?

After decades of the Doctor being uninterested in Humans, she’s suddenly interested in them and a lesbian too.

Let me guess, The Doctor and Yaz are an item now?
Not quite, but feelings are expressed.
I'm not terribly bothered at this point by the Doctor having romantic feelings (that line was already crossed with Tennant), but.... YAZ? She's boring as hell. In 1000 years the Doctor's never met anyone as "amazing"? Please.

Last edited:
It's just stupid. Now granted, I'm not watching this garbage, but the simple fact is, the Doctor is an alien. It would be like someone screwing their dog. Any romantic involvement or interest between a Timelord and a human is reprehensible. It's pure bestiality.

I was very excited when the show returned, back in 2005, having grown up with it in the 1970's and 1980's, then having had almost nothing for years.

Thing is, despite everything being new, flashy and modern - it just looked cheap and the stories seemed to talk down to its audience and treat them like morons, which just got worse as each series wore on. It also seemed to age very quickly and date badly, more so than the Classic run - and all the design work on it just felt drab, samey and very grey - it just wasn't attractive to look at any more. Where were those distinctive designs that the show was known for? As I watched, all I could think of was that this was "Doctor Who" in name only, with only a few of the original trappings.

I liked Eccleston, but simply couldn't take to Tennant at all and I really didn't like many of the stories or RTD's type of story telling. It was here that I started to skip the show and do other things instead. Things got slightly better with Smith, I really liked his Doctor, but by the end of his run, I began to loathe the preachy nature of the show, on top of everything else.

The straw the broke the camel's back was Smith's last story in 2013, it was just garbage and so I gave up watching then and there because I knew I'd been tuning in up to this point out of loyalty and habit. A few years later, my son did want to watch one of Capaldi's episodes, which turned out to be the first of his last season, an episode called "The Pilot." I loved it, but none of our family were motivated to continue any further and I had to agree with their sentiments. A pity because from what I saw, Capaldi was the best Doctor of the new era.

So with RTD returning, I'm still not bothered with the Doctor Who any more - after 10 years of not watching... I'll simply keep it as a memory and remember it through my rose tinted nostalgia glasses where in my head, it's perfect.

I prefer the classic episodes, I loved when the show returned, but lost interest after David Tennant left. I do actually want to make a replica of Bessie and the Whomobile from the Jon Pertwee era.

I was excited by the concept of the 2005 return but the actual show wasn't that great. Sure, it looked better than the old quarries but it was mostly flash and little substance. Plus, Russell T. Davies introduced nookie in the Tardis which I absolutely hate with a passion. It is kind of what he does so I'm not surprised, but the show has largely turned into a CGI monstrosity with a political agenda. It's why I stopped watching a long time ago. Come back when you're telling decent stories and not just masturbating to the effects like most shows do these days. Until then, I'm done.

Just watched the first new episode in a very long time the other day, the Sea Devils one. One word: MEH.
I never thought I'd say (or even think) this, but I just don't care about new Dr Who anymore...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back