Has anybody here made props through 3D printing technology?

that part was made with FDM which has lower resolution than you want. use one of today's sla plotters, and you'll get a much nicer surface. polyjet is awesome, objet printers are really smooth. use the high detail from shapeways and you'll be happy. you can get an even higher quality print from quickparts or zoomrp but it might cost a little more...

They are using the facegen software to make their physical prints. It is really low quality modeling and it's basically the paint application that creates the likeness.

Yeah I know thus the reason I said they are using a known shape and taking shortcuts... If time is taken with a front and profile view though the likeness can go beyond just the paint detailing...

There are companies working on making this into a home friendly technology for inventors but I don't see it being affordable or really useful for a while though for those of us with no milling machine it would be nice. That's my face also seems to be rather expensive for what they give you. I want to try shapeways if i can figure out how to make the model of the part.

Last edited:
Lanterny_by_Natfoe.jpg

They can be a tad gritty, but polish nicely with a little effort.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back