Harvey Birdman helmet - Now with Pep File!

Helmet help needed
I'm working on a Birdman mask, and am stuck on the helmet (the yellow portion). After looking at several toy and costume helmets online including construction, soldier, and police, I decided I don't want to take a chance with the fitting. Also, I've never tried cardstock with bondo before, and Birdman's yellow helmet is probably as basic as you can get for a first time project.

BM_MS.jpg

harvey-birdman-attorney-at-law-takes-the-case.jpg

Now the issues:

1. Does anyone know of an existing pep file that could be constructed and cut down to closer resemble the Birdman helmet?

2. If there is such a helmet file, would someone be able to export it as a PDF for me?

Also, if anyone has reasons as to why I should just continue to look for an existing costume helmet instead of going the pep route, I'd love to hear it. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

My Birdman progress thread is here:
http://www.therpf.com/f24/who-man-suit-99957/

Last edited:
Re: Harvey Birdman helmet - Need advice.

It's not pepakura but I think this method could work for you
The Spacesuit! - a set on Flickr

Paper mache' a balloon (probably sideways for the shape you're looking for), apply resin for strength, and bondo to smooth it all out.

Here's where I really highlight my n00b-iness: "Resin?" he asked with a blank stare. I'll need a bit more info...

Paper mache seems like a good place to start. I'll likely give it a try this weekend. Thanks!

EDIT: Do you mean fiberglass resin?

Last edited:

Yeah, fiberglass (polyester) resin is what you need. You can find it in the auto section of Walmart or the like. In pepakura, you brush fiberglass resin on the outside of the piece to strengthen it, apply resin impreginated cloth or chop mat to the inside, then use Bondo on the outside to smooth everything out. As long as you use a good 4-5 layers of newspaper, you shouldn't have to glass the inside of your helmet. Good luck,

~Kevin

Yeah, fiberglass (polyester) resin is what you need. You can find it in the auto section of Walmart or the like. In pepakura, you brush fiberglass resin on the outside of the piece to strengthen it, apply resin impreginated cloth or chop mat to the inside, then use Bondo on the outside to smooth everything out. As long as you use a good 4-5 layers of newspaper, you shouldn't have to glass the inside of your helmet. Good luck,

~Kevin

Thanks for the advice/patience Kevin. First the lenses, now this!

Now for paint...
I was going to hold off asking this until I had a completed helmet to paint, but might as well throw it out there now: Does anybody know the best way to achieve a sparkly yellow finish? I don't want the helmet gold, but not a flat yellow either. Ideally this mask should look like it belongs next to the 1966 Batman stuff: well-made but goofy-looking nonetheless.

I found this but have never used it before:
4 oz Glistening Gold Glitter Spray Paint

Ideas/suggestions?

Don't use glitter paint. I tried it for a play (we had to have shiny candles because the director said so .... *shudder*) and it SUCKED.

I'd use a flat yellow to give it the color, then I'd layer it with a little bit of the glitter paint. It won't look sparkly, but it won't look flat. It'll give it just the right amount of shine. Just remember to get a good two layers of the flat yellow.

Don't use glitter paint. I tried it for a play (we had to have shiny candles because the director said so .... *shudder*) and it SUCKED.

I'd use a flat yellow to give it the color, then I'd layer it with a little bit of the glitter paint. It won't look sparkly, but it won't look flat. It'll give it just the right amount of shine. Just remember to get a good two layers of the flat yellow.

What about it sucked? Was it TOO sparkly? I'll keep that in mind though. Would you use a clear coat on top after the two layers of flat yellow and light use of glitter paint? Thanks!

Having always watched harvey birdman on Adult Swim, I feel that his helmet, realistically, is just a shiny yellow, no sparkling. I'd suggest using like the Painter's Touch brand from rustolium(?) Very durable paint and you can get a really nice shine from it if applied right.

Having always watched harvey birdman on Adult Swim, I feel that his helmet, realistically, is just a shiny yellow, no sparkling. I'd suggest using like the Painter's Touch brand from rustolium(?) Very durable paint and you can get a really nice shine from it if applied right.

Yeah, it likely is only intended to be a shiny yellow. I just thought this'd look funnier. The costume won't be 100% screen accurate because (1) my suit has pinstripes and I'm not buying a new one just for Halloween, and (2) I'm not cutting wing-holes in the back of the jacket. :lol

If what I have in mind for the sparkly yellow doesn't work out I'll just go with the shiny stuff per your suggestion. Were you thinking brush-on or spray? I'm leaning towards spray paint right now. Thanks for the input!

It is. But it's much more yellow than gold.

Okay cool. I'll add it to the list of paints I have to consider.

I thought I'd get started on my helmet today, but the hardware store that's supposed to be closed at 7pm was already closed at 5:45pm, and no store hours were posted anywhere. Maybe tomorrow...

why not just paint it yellow and put a high gloss clear coat over it.

I caught a few episodes back in the day, but it was one of my favorite adult swim shows...cant wait to see final product

why not just paint it yellow and put a high gloss clear coat over it.

That's my backup plan if I can't get it to look silly enough. :lol

True story. I'm looking to make a helmet similar to this for Birdgirl :)

Be sure to post progress pics! It's a shame Birdgirl doesn't have the blue hood that Birdman does; I could've learned a thing or two from you on that item.

Also though, without the hood to attach the helmet to, any idea how you'll keep it on your head? I suppose you could just make it fit tighter than Birdman's.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back