Harry Potter: COS Skele-Gro Bottle REDUXE!!

Rhett J Martin

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello RPF!

Well, having 'read the signs' I beelive it's time to get aonther old friend out of storage and recreate it better than before!

This time around we're re-tackling the Skele-Gro bottle!
I was so lucky to have folks who were grabbing pictures of the prop at the newly opened Universal, and we were able to get a great replica made!
This was a succesfull run back in 2011, that did have it's share of problems, but nothing that wasn't solvable!!

So here we go . . .

I have been deep cleaning my studio recently, and have begun finding a lot of stuff that got shelved and unfinished. I stumbled across the final pull from my beaten to death mold, and could see across the years all the mistakes I had made.

My first stops are the difficult ones: the bottle/main body and the clever base (no treble) I had come up with to help deal with the top heavy issues.

The main body was a pretty good sculpt, but casting in resin and back filling with foam can produce negative results if you're rushing or your supplies aren't treated well. I had some shrinkage sometimes in the foam, and sometimes my resin was too thin. As the mold aged, bubbles started showing up, as this was my first jacketed split mold. So having an old copy in my hand (and as it happened, the original 3M spray bottle I sculpted over) it was time to make some changes!
attachment.php
attachment.php

"Regrowing bones is a nasty business!"

The main body
One of the things people really reacted to negatively was the 'crockery' style of the base of the bottle. Wavy, dented and bulgy in some spots, what I thought was a handmade look was interpreted as sloppy sculpting. I also thought the shoulder 'sockets' were a tad small, which gave the bottle's skeleton arms more of a C-3PO look to them than a skeleton with his hands on his hips.

So, after making a quick split mold of the upper bottle and casting up the things that wouldn't change and gluing those in their original spots, I completely resculpted the sternum, shoulder sockets (now with hex shaped slots for the arms), and a completely smooth and round crock section, with some nice water spun clay texture. I also made the lip on the bottom a touch stronger and more accurate.

attachment.php
attachment.php

The base

I also had some time last night between other projects to tackle the base. It was also a final casting from a beat up mold, and had very soft details, and some funky resin curing issues (probably moisture). A quick one part Oomoo mold would give me a nice new base to work with. Simple carving, sanding, and puttying fixed bubbles and soft details. I flattened the seat and made it look more handmade, and redid the texturing around the legs.

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

More to come as I correct and ad to the arms, and restyle the head!

More updates!

Skull has been cast from a quick mold, and modded by chopping out the jaw, and resculpting it to look a little more 'boney'. I added round pin points for the jaw to be glued onto. I also took and opportunity to smooth up a few spots on the head, and redefine some of the cracks in the skull.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The arms are all cleaned up, and a hex shaped post locks the arm into the socket.
attachment.php

Collar bones are thinner than the last set, and are pegged as well.

There's still some polishing to be done before all this goes into silicone, but I'm not worried.

I'll also be adding a nice thick coat of satin clear to give this a more porcelain look.

Looks promising. Are you going the ship the bottles with the pegged pieces seperate? I guess this way chance of damage would be smaller. I remember that my first bottle came with different pieces broken off, and the replacement I got also had one arm broken off (which I could glue on fine). So maybe leaving to collar bones, jaw and arms seperate, for the buyer to just super glue in place, would be safer?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back