Harry Potter Chocolate Frog Box - An in-depth look

nicom1234

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A process thread, to go alongside my listing over in Project Runs: Chocolate Frog Box kit

I wanted to share some of the process involved in getting as close as I could to the original prop. I know a few of these have been made on the forum but there are always a few details that werent quite right, so I wanted to make my own.

I started looking at templates and noticed the top of all the lids only had one seam, however when you look at the one in the film, it is cut unlike any I have seen available online:

Movie screencap 1 (original).jpg

You can see the two lines that intersect the 'C; and 'E' on the word chocolate. Also notice that the base is flat and overhangs the lid. Also all the designs I have seen, including prints by MinaLima say '70% Finest Croakoa' on them, which isnt on the box in the first film.

Looking at the inside and where all the seams for the gold star foil, you can see that the one seam is glued onto the inside and the two flaps of foil left at the front is where the gold cord tears open the packaging - a small detail I added to my version.
This is a photo I took of the prop at the Studio Tours in Watford, London:

ST frog box.jpg

Strangely, the name says 'Elbus Dumbledore' on the wizard card - does anyone know why? Underneath the desktop printer paper is a layer of very thick, black-core card - possibly to stop any bending and assist the Chroma key as there are no markers on the green screen?

A few screenshots of the wizard card sold at auction, however there is not enough information to show that these are truly production used or not:

Wizard auction.JPG
Harry-Potter-and-the-Sorcerer-s-Stone-Chocolate-Frog-Wizard-Trading-Card-SFX-Version-1.jpg

I coudn't find any photos of the underside, other than a frame from the film. Looking at this, it seems the layout and the design is very similar to the underside of the commercial gift box you can buy on the studio tour:

Bottom of box.JPG

A few photos of the different stages before I decided to go to print:

You can see the slight change between the old and new wizard card, including the 'Pull Me!' tab.

IMG_7340.JPG
IMG_7343.JPG

Testing a cord on a glued box to see if the tear is similar to the screen used prop:

IMG_7341.JPG
IMG_7342.JPG

The finished version:

IMG_7346.JPG
IMG_7347.JPG

and a snippet of the instructions I made to go with the kit:

Instruction snippet.jpg

I still havent decided if I prefer the actual making of a prop or the research behind it! :D

Anyway, thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back