Han's ESB Hoth Coat and pants

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by frozone, Dec 12, 2005.

1. frozone

frozone New Member

I've been looking around for a long time to try to find out more about the costuming used for the Hoth scenes. Can anyone point me more information? Specifically I'm looking for information on Han's Hoth coat, what was the original item used, and the pants that were used.

Thanks

2. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

I've always wondered this, too.

Does anyone do replicas of Han's Hoth jacket? I'd love to know more details if they do.

3. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

[​IMG]

This is complete shot in the dark on my part, but the coat looks simiar to a (modified?) Parka:

[​IMG]

4. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Sportsmans Guide had something similar to Han's about a year ago.
    Same color even.

D6

5. frozone

frozone New Member

Thanks..... I've been looking hard at alot of the real arctic gear for while... LLBean makes a regular blue one that is similar as well, just nothing is completely accurate.

I'm wondering if it maybe it belongs to a foriegn company where they did the actual filming. Where was that again? Greenland? Finland?

6. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Norway. Nice country. :)

7. frozone

frozone New Member

Outstanding, Thanks much Tom.

Here's a link to their site:
    http://www.woolrich.com/

I'm sure the next debate will be if the jacket is black or blue, but honestly I'm starting to think it's a black jacket that got a little weathered.

Tom, anything in the mental rolodeck about what pants/boots/visors they used?

8. frozone

frozone New Member

The pics from their site:

[​IMG]

9. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So what color is Han's jacket? I seem to recall that is was a blue-ish color...

10. BAlinger15

BAlinger15 Community Founder

The jacket is brown.

-Brandon

11. frozone

frozone New Member

Maybe they used 2 jackets.... I can see the jacket above as a brown jacket, but in most of the scenes in the hanger before he goes out to find luke it looks much darker.

I pulled several pic from the movie and then color sampled them in photoshop.

All my samples came out blue in hex:
    #576B8D
    #2A365B

The shot from above came out as:
    #4C4E40

which is definitely a brownish color

Ideas?

[attachmentid=5520]
    [attachmentid=5521]
    [attachmentid=5522]
    [attachmentid=5523]

12. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It sure looks dark blue to me- like the lighter jacket he wears the rest of the film

13. defyitall

defyitall Sr Member

There's a lot of blue lighting in those Hoth interior scenes. Then again the exterior snow scenes have a tendency to wash out colors.

14. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Call me crazy, but that coat looks scratch built. Aside from all the blue light in that scene, the coat looks black or charcoal gray.

15. Trallis

Trallis Well-Known Member

i have a feeling the best chance you're gonna have at getting an accurate one is DavidYR1

16. DAVIDYR1

DAVIDYR1 Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for the plug. :)

From what I can see, and looking back at the thousands of parkas similar to this one I've already made in the past, yes, I said thousands...popular winter item for retailers and designers...it looks to be either completely custom made or at the very least so heavily modified that the original is no longer clear as to what it was.

I did toy with the idea of making this a few years ago but for now I am so booked up that even entertaining a new garment is not possible. I am frantically trying to complete the BTTF2 Marty jacket and have a bunch of other garments to do after that.
    I will be happy to chime in here to help the research thread as best I can though. :)

From the pics posted, I'd say he either wore 2 different jackets OR something funky with the lighting is making it look that way. Also note the abnormal length of the jacket. Over a 3/4 length from that side pic. Unusual for this type of jacket but not uncommon. The other thing is in the top pic where it looks brownish, there is some kind of panel on the chest, not seen in the other pics where it looks bluish. Does that mean it was a differnent jacket? Not for sure but it does add to the confusion as far as I'm concerned..:)
    I see all sorts of vertical quilting on the sleeves and a checkered pattern on the top back. This thing is full of detail that probably doesnt easily show up on film. Quite a nice jacket actually. Complex to say the least...

David

17. defyitall

defyitall Sr Member

Lacking David's garment building expertise there's a practical reason why there would be 2 different jackets: the top one would need to probably be actually well insulated for the exterior scene shot in Finland in the bitter cold whereas the hanger scenes were shot in the relative comfort of a soundstage; thus probably require less insulation.

18. DAVIDYR1

DAVIDYR1 Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's actually a very good point. I didnt think about it that way. :)

David

19. BAlinger15

It's def Brown.

I'll see if I can post a pic

-B

20. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it is brown. ESB has a heavy blue color cast in most scenes. The icey background probably looked pretty white in person, however it looks bluish on film.

You can see the effect of lighting and the color cast in the screen cap above. We know the rebel guys had brown scarfs, but look at the trooper to the left of Han. His scarf looks black or dark blue when we know it is brown.

21. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Don't forget that the digital color correcting has done strange things to the OT.

22. frozone

frozone New Member

I'm thinking that everyone else's costumes are brown or brownish..... why would they have his go against the grain? it doesn't make sense.

I will research this more with the woolrich corp, to see if they provided any materials for that movie. I'm certain they would tout it if they had.

23. Dr. J

Dr. J Active Member

Because Han Solo is a major character and Harrison Ford is a major star. It makes sense that he stand out from the rest.

24. yodakiller1138

yodakiller1138 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

From what I have read in the past I believe the winter gear was made for the production. I seem to remember someone mentioning in an interview that someone forgot to make the gear weather worthy for the Norway shoot. Can't remember where I read it though as it was years ago.

25. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

*....I was going to ask about producing a copy of the ESB production crew parkas....I always wanted one of those...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

[attachmentid=5582]

It's definitely brown. I did an adjustment to remove the blue saturation caused by the lights.

I think you'll agree that the other colors in the scene look correct, and the Solo coat becomes it's true brown.

27. frozone

frozone New Member

Nice job thanks much.... a little teamwork and we are on our way ;)

28. Reel Fakes

Reel Fakes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Those are sweet. I searched Ebay for the brand "Ski-Peer" - nada. However, when I searched for it on google, I got a bunch of Norweigian pages - maybe the coats were made locally? Could be it was a stock style with the patches put on later - I've seen replicas of those patches...

Sorry for the hyjack. :$

29. BAlinger15

Nice pic of the Norway suit. That one is mine. :)

Yes, it was sourced locally in Norway...

-Brandon

30. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

OK Brandon....now ya gotta post a pic of it... I've always wanted one of these parkas since I was a kid and saw a "Making Of" special of ESB on TV many moons ago....

31. BAlinger15

No great pics unfortunately but here's another one.

One of my favorite pieces.

[​IMG]

-Brandon

32. Kris

Kris Sr Member

Did you bring that one to C3 ? I remember seeing it there :)

33. BAlinger15

34. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

*, Brandon.....that is nice. :thumbsup

35. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice parka, but deammn an original Johnston sketch. :eek

36. wolverine solo

wolverine solo Well-Known Member

was watching the ESB and just after Han shuts 3po up and walks away from he walks past a light inder the falcon and you can make out the brown. this is a nice coat, hope somebody out there can do it.

37. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I think I might attempt one if I can get enough reference material to get a complete picture of the design.

38. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

It's blue.

And here is proof :p

Sorry , I had to.

39. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

i swear i was about to do that if someone else didnt...

well heres another age old SW question appearantly answered here.

i like the blue that it looks, but even as a kid did notice that sometimes it appeared brownish...

hmm.

well.

ive got a 95 POTF red card han, and the coat is a greyish brown with a hint of blue...

40. frozone

frozone New Member

Too funny... I was waiting for that to happen. My favorite action figure and I've been BETRAYED... :lol

41. wolverine solo

funny part is the new Han esb figure with a lightsaber outfit is BLUE also.

42. Kris

Kris Sr Member

There are 2 versions, a brown and a blue coat.

43. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I take it this coat has never been on display anywhere. Wonder why that is...

44. Pauleysolo

It is probably lost- though Lucasfilm is pretty good at keeping track of wardrobe and props- especiallly after a number of items just "walked away" following filming on the original Star Wars.

45. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

Where is the evidence for a blue coat?

Han's coat from the Action Figure Archive book is clearly brown. The coat used in the hanger is clearly brown (from the color corrections), the coat worn outside is clearly brown.

46. frozone

frozone New Member

I think they were talking about the action figures vs the prop in the posts above.

47. Pauleysolo

I don't know- after reading this entire thread and checking out the DVD the coat still looks dark blue to me.

48. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I think the simple solution is to offer the finished coat in both brown and navy blue, and let people get what they think is more accurate.

49. wolverine solo

well till one gets made and or offered its nice to know I still have his rank badge to tide me over. LOL... I agree on the brown or blue preference.

50. Golgo13

Golgo13 New Member

How about these? :p