Han's ESB Hoth Coat and pants

frozone

I've been looking around for a long time to try to find out more about the costuming used for the Hoth scenes. Can anyone point me more information? Specifically I'm looking for information on Han's Hoth coat, what was the original item used, and the pants that were used.

Thanks

han_hoth.jpg

This is complete shot in the dark on my part, but the coat looks simiar to a (modified?) Parka:

image1l.JPG

Thanks..... I've been looking hard at alot of the real arctic gear for while... LLBean makes a regular blue one that is similar as well, just nothing is completely accurate.

I'm wondering if it maybe it belongs to a foriegn company where they did the actual filming. Where was that again? Greenland? Finland?

Outstanding, Thanks much Tom.

Here's a link to their site:
http://www.woolrich.com/

I'm sure the next debate will be if the jacket is black or blue, but honestly I'm starting to think it's a black jacket that got a little weathered.

Tom, anything in the mental rolodeck about what pants/boots/visors they used?

Originally posted by BAlinger15@Dec 16 2005, 02:01 PM
The jacket is brown.

-Brandon
[snapback]1137375[/snapback]​

Maybe they used 2 jackets.... I can see the jacket above as a brown jacket, but in most of the scenes in the hanger before he goes out to find luke it looks much darker.

I pulled several pic from the movie and then color sampled them in photoshop.

All my samples came out blue in hex:
#576B8D
#2A365B

The shot from above came out as:
#4C4E40

which is definitely a brownish color

Ideas?

[attachmentid=5520]
[attachmentid=5521]
[attachmentid=5522]
[attachmentid=5523]

There's a lot of blue lighting in those Hoth interior scenes. Then again the exterior snow scenes have a tendency to wash out colors.

Originally posted by Trallis@Dec 20 2005, 06:43 AM
i have a feeling the best chance you're gonna have at getting an accurate one is DavidYR1
[snapback]1139844[/snapback]​

Thanks for the plug. :)

From what I can see, and looking back at the thousands of parkas similar to this one I've already made in the past, yes, I said thousands...popular winter item for retailers and designers...it looks to be either completely custom made or at the very least so heavily modified that the original is no longer clear as to what it was.

I did toy with the idea of making this a few years ago but for now I am so booked up that even entertaining a new garment is not possible. I am frantically trying to complete the BTTF2 Marty jacket and have a bunch of other garments to do after that.
I will be happy to chime in here to help the research thread as best I can though. :)

From the pics posted, I'd say he either wore 2 different jackets OR something funky with the lighting is making it look that way. Also note the abnormal length of the jacket. Over a 3/4 length from that side pic. Unusual for this type of jacket but not uncommon. The other thing is in the top pic where it looks brownish, there is some kind of panel on the chest, not seen in the other pics where it looks bluish. Does that mean it was a differnent jacket? Not for sure but it does add to the confusion as far as I'm concerned..:)
I see all sorts of vertical quilting on the sleeves and a checkered pattern on the top back. This thing is full of detail that probably doesnt easily show up on film. Quite a nice jacket actually. Complex to say the least...

David

Lacking David's garment building expertise there's a practical reason why there would be 2 different jackets: the top one would need to probably be actually well insulated for the exterior scene shot in Finland in the bitter cold whereas the hanger scenes were shot in the relative comfort of a soundstage; thus probably require less insulation.

Originally posted by defyitall@Dec 20 2005, 12:21 PM
Lacking David's garment building expertise there's a practical reason why there would be 2 different jackets: the top one would need to probably be actually well insulated for the exterior scene shot in Finland in the bitter cold whereas the hanger scenes were shot in the relative comfort of a soundstage; thus probably require less insulation.
[snapback]1140026[/snapback]​

That's actually a very good point. I didnt think about it that way. :)

David

I'm pretty sure it is brown. ESB has a heavy blue color cast in most scenes. The icey background probably looked pretty white in person, however it looks bluish on film.

You can see the effect of lighting and the color cast in the screen cap above. We know the rebel guys had brown scarfs, but look at the trooper to the left of Han. His scarf looks black or dark blue when we know it is brown.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back