Han Solo costume for Manchester Comic Con

curtinparloe

It's Manchester Comic Con tomorrow, and on Tuesday I decided to go as Han.
I had an old work waistcoat and blaster, and previously when I've dressed as the scoundrel I've just added a shirt and black trousers.
This time, however, with four days' notice, I decided to put in a bit of effort and make it a bit more screen-accurate.

Impossible?

Yes, it is.

But I think I have a rough approximation that at least looks passable.

I bought and crafted the bits and bobs for cheap (on a tremendously low budget here), but it all hung on whether the footwear I ordered on ebay would arrive in time. There is a parcel waiting for me at the post office, so I'll pick it up tomorrow bright and early. If it is, as I suspect, a pair of riding boots, I'll post pictures of the finished outfit before I set off in the merciless heat to the GMEX.

In the meantime, I have a question:
If my outfit incorporates some women's clothing, does that mean I'll technically be in drag? :confused

1004649_10153022727655258_768047104_n.jpg
1078790_10153045062195311_1279067898_o.jpg
Here it is, along with some of the lovely people at the con.

As you can see, gaffer tape played an integral part of the outfit. Here's a rundown, ground up:
Boots - £8 from ebay, synthetic riding boots. A little snug, it took two of us to get them off last night.
Trousers - £12.50 from Sainsburys, a pair of women's jeggings (fashion and comfort!)
Corellian Bloodstripe - £1.99, white gaffer tape with red and black permanent marker stripes (th cost was for a pack of markers). They didn't look great, to be honest, but the time frame made six months of embroidery unlikely...
DL-44 Blaster - £0, swapped for a CAP-2 back in the '80s (I had two).
Holster - £0, made from cardboard and gaffer, covered in an old t-shirt, lashings of PVA glue before and after. the gun strap was two velcro strips, and the leg strap was the t-shirt hem (which refused to stay attached). Against screen accuracy (but for practicality), I attached my sunglasses case in lieu of a droid caller, and made a small phone pouch.
Belts - £0, I had them lying around.
Top - £1.99, from a charity shop. A woman's size 8 (UK) polo neck with a bit of scissoring. I need a proper shirt, really, although I was pleased it fit!
Waistcoat - £0, I already had this. Might have cost me a pound from a charity shop about ten years ago.

So there it is, cost me less than £25 and looked passable (I think so)...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back