Hammer's Slammers - Bigass Hovertanks & Such ...

Mike J.

Master Member
I'm sure some of you have read one or more of the Hammer's Slammers type books by David Drake. I first read one a few years ago, and I'm reading Paying the Piper right now.

I was just wondering if anyone had made a hovertank (of any style, really). Frankly, I love the concept, and I've seen some good takes on it at around the net (especially in the Starship Modeler user gallery).

I've been doodling various design sketches while I read, trying to lay my tank out logically... and still have it look 'right'.

I'd like for everyone to share what they've done / are doing / want to do... I know the "hovertank" can cover a wide range of styles, from Maschinen Krieger to fairly normal tanks-with-no-treads type things, so I hope there are a lot of relevant models out there.
icon_smile.gif

-Mike

I've avidly read that series of stories, and saw the resin hovertank you've linked to, previously - somehow it didn't seem 'right' - not massive enough, or something. The short 'The Tank Lords' has a great deal of descriptive info, and there are bits and pieces of description scattered through all the stories.
Next time I speed-read the series, I'll have to take notes on all the details, and do some sketches
icon_smile.gif

The general weight of the tanks is said to be 170 tons... Combat cars are about 30 tons...

For comparison, the M1A2 Abrams weighs 69 tons.

icon_biggrin.gif

-Mike

"This is what I am saying."
icon_smile.gif

The stories speak of huge machines, 2 man crews, and 6? 8? huge nacelles. That's a much bigger machine.

Back