Halloween Props: Knight Sword, Shield and Flail

franz bolo

Sr Member
Making these props for my son's Halloween Costume.

Sketches
flail05.jpg

PI started with the Flail. Before the handle stain was applied
flail01.jpg

Final next to the prototype which was too big!
flail04.jpg

Done
flail02.jpg

Done
flail03.jpg

FB

Last edited:
Re: Knight Costume 2010

Next is the sword.

Parts
flail11.jpg

Prior to paint and weathering
flail06.jpg

After paint
flail07.jpg

Almost done.
flail08.jpg

FB

Last edited:

Started on the shield yesterday. I wrapped the sword handle yesterday with nylon string but didn’t like the look so today I bought some hemp string and it turned out better!!

I also repainted the shadows on the blade. I did a sloppy job the first time and had to sand it down and start again. I’m pretty happy with it this time.

I have to figure out how to add the arm strap to the back of the shield, then paint it, then I’m done.

Final Sword before handle wrap
flail10.jpg

Final Sword after handle wrap
flail09.jpg

FB

Last edited:

It's looking good so far- Question on the sword blade- are the edges and blood groove painted shadows or physical features? (They look pretty convincing in the photos-)

It's looking good so far- Question on the sword blade- are the edges and blood groove painted shadows or physical features? (They look pretty convincing in the photos-)

Thanks! It's painted. I've been drawing a lot lately and I thought that painting the effects might work. I first thought of the idea to make the shield look angled.

I've never seen anyone paint a prop like that and I was quite happy with the results. Before the paint the blade looked like a tongue depressor! :lol

FB

Very Cool FB!!! Is your son happy so far with the results? I know mine would be going crazy. Very cool.

I painted and added the straps today. I weathered the cross some more and will take better pics later. I also added some pin striping.

I was going to spend more time on the paint but I'm out of time since the Halloween party is coming up and I won't have time to do any more.

flail10.jpg

FB

Yeah, I did weather it a bit too much!! :lol

Here's the final costume. My wife sewed the hood and tunic.

flail11.jpg

flail12.jpg

FB

Thanks!! He loves the LEGO Universe characters and wanted to be one of them so we compromised!!

We took these right before we went to a Halloween party.

flail14.jpg

flail13.jpg

FB

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back