Halliwax's weird V3 theory

I think the V3 set up is remarkably similar to Bunkers' diagram. The hole in the emitter is the perfect size for a bearing! Not sure how it deep it would need to go?

Lol can't believe we didn't pick up on that hole sooner. Yeah unfortunately he doesn't turn it far enough to see.

I always figured the D ring got swapped later idk but...

Also uhm. Sorry for the quick drawing and probably a bad choice of V3 pic:
View attachment 1427878 View attachment 1427877

Does the scalloped edge seem a LOT thicker than the V3..?

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here. A D-ring is something that can be swapped out at any time---Hell, any part of the hilt can be, really---using that as a basis for a whole new hilt isn't very convincing to me. Considering that they are right next to an open bay door in a dark warehouse, it's the only light source coming in form that side. Could it be that it's just an angular shadow caused by a single light source? Nevermind, Mark is holding it closer to the camera and away from the lens' focal point (his face).

The wide, flat blocky pommel cubes; the rough positioning of the d-ring in the cube (close to the top corner of the cube), and the overall length of the emitter and windvane when he holds the thing upside down to demonstrate to camera the Tusken stunt he did in ANH, have me more inclined to believe this to be the V3 than anything else.

(Also, in the passing years and all the things that have been catalogued and brought out from the Archives, surely, a hypothetical tertiary metal stunt saber would've surfaced and possibly modified for touring ala the V3 as it stands today.)

we really are spitballing here, and it's true these things aren't permanent like dings and holes in metal.

There is some missing info on why the V3 emitter looks the way it does underneath, and why it's missing the blade system. And why other sabers from ANH to ESB don't match.

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here. A D-ring is something that can be swapped out at any time---Hell, any part of the hilt can be, really---using that as a basis for a whole new hilt isn't very convincing to me. Considering that they are right next to an open bay door in a dark warehouse, it's the only light source coming in form that side. Could it be that it's just an angular shadow caused by a single light source? Nevermind, Mark is holding it closer to the camera and away from the lens' focal point (his face).

The wide, flat blocky pommel cubes; the rough positioning of the d-ring in the cube (close to the top corner of the cube), and the overall length of the emitter and windvane when he holds the thing upside down to demonstrate to camera the Tusken stunt he did in ANH, have me more inclined to believe this to be the V3 than anything else.

(Also, in the passing years and all the things that have been catalogued and brought out from the Archives, surely, a hypothetical tertiary metal stunt saber would've surfaced and possibly modified for touring ala the V3 as it stands today.)

To be honest, there is boxes in the archives that haven’t been opened in 40 years. From what I’ve heard there may be big news (non Kenobi stunt related) coming out soon..

From what I’ve heard there is a new team of archivists going through the stuff as we speak..

A example of this is they randomly found the original yoda molds when looking for something else, and those molds were “restored” to make the yoda in TLJ

I want this warehouse stunt to be the v3... but that pommel looks totally different

They could have easily swapped it out at this time..

I can honestly see them swapping pommels rather then swapping d rings..

So many questions..

To be honest, there is boxes in the archives that haven’t been opened in 40 years. From what I’ve heard there may be big news (non Kenobi stunt related) coming out soon..

Then I think it is more reasonable to wait until further information is either provided or leaked before claiming gospel on speculation based on poor sources that have been floating around forever and losing sight on what is tangible and available today. And to be honest, I doubt what will ever be published will cater to the niche group like the RPF (though I hope I'm wrong) who want to focus on more esoteric pieces instead of what the public is more familiar and interested in.

Then I think it is more reasonable to wait until further information is either provided or leaked before claiming gospel on speculation based on poor sources that have been floating around forever and losing sight on what is tangible and available today. And to be honest, I doubt what will ever be published will cater to the niche group like the RPF (though I hope I'm wrong) who want to focus on more esoteric pieces instead of what the public is more familiar and interested in.

What do you think about the pommel?

What do you think about the pommel?

I can't speculate on stuff I've never held or witnessed myself, I can only lay claim to the stuff that I've done.

What I've done is taken my current, most accurate casts that I've cleaned up based on the observable work done to existing V3, and used it to gain rough photogrammetric comparisons to the various BTS images of what we've poured over on the V2 and V3. Now, I've done this in my spare time for "fun" and I've not done anything really "in-depth." I've not really even documented it all; I've just based what I've pulled on comparisons of measurements between my casts, myself (I'm roughly a similar size as Mark Hamill---though a little more slight) and used those to compare and contrast.

My thoughts are thus regarding the question: the pommel is closer to the V3 than V2, but I only say that because I've only compared the entire stunt hilt rather than individual aspects; so proportionately, it's closest to the V3 more than the V2 in terms of its size and shape. For the pommel, the size between the V2 and V3 pommel is very similar. What convinces me, like I mentioned before, are the cuts to the pommel cubes. The butt plate on the V3 pommel, is slightly cut taller than the V2's. This sounds insignificant but it has a great impact on the cutting of the cubes and the way they look; giving it a slightly more squat/square, small shape to the cube "faces" as well as the length of the incline of the cut of the angles to them.

Now, whether or not in the warehouse it had a thick scalloped edge---maybe. But that doesn't mean it's a whole knew thing entire. That could've easily been cut down had it originally been on the V3 pommel. What's interesting to me, is if you look on the V3 as it stands today, you'll see that it has longer faces and smaller faces on the pommel cubes. You can get that by individually cutting them and the angles of the cubes every time you go to cut the cubes, but that's the least likeliest explanation. It's more likely that it was cut "crooked:" the angle it was held in on one end is not the same on the other; so as the pommel spins in the lathe as it's being cut, it will "pinch" on side as more or less material is taken off at a different angle. I go through the trouble of explaining this because not only does this mean you'll get different sized scalloped edges when you go to make you channel cuts to divide the cubes, but you'll also get these progressively small/larger cube faces around the pommel. Now, the channels can be made deeper and the edges fixed... but faces cannot. Not unless you go through the trouble of re-cutting each individual incline on the cubes to match, or realign the pommel cube to flush the bottom again and recut the cube angles. Options which they would not have undertaken for these props. This detail exists on the V3 and this is something I've not postulated but reproduced to certain level across all the V3 hilts I've done so far.

Last edited:
I agree it may be too early to jump to conclusions but it is quite interesting to consider. I initially considered the pommel cube angles to be very similar to the V3 as well PPP. The cut of the cubes and angles do look quite like the V3 to me based on my comparisons too.. But the scalloped edge is the anomaly here, it seems too large of a difference to be due lighting imo. However, if it was the V3 pommel's original state, I don't see any reason that something such as that would be remilled to be touched up later. Note as Halliwax said, pommels can be swapped fairly easily too (but again - I don't think there were many alternate or spare parts). Also worth saying I thought the gash on the side this hilt was a good indication it was the V3 less than 12 hours ago so all of this should be taken with a grain of salt.

If it is another stunt for all we know it might not be at the Archives. The V2 was walked off set, I could imaging some other hilts not making it to the Archives either. (For example: where's the motorized Graflex - this saber's rehearsal twin)

Although I agree with the sentiment regarding waiting for new information whenever that is PPP, I wouldn't discount re-evaluations of old material. Old images and posts are often a treasure trove of sometimes forgotten info that can shed new insights.

I think we should at least entertain the idea of a "v4" for now and see if that leads to something new and exciting, but not necessarily write it in the guidebook immediately for example ha.

SethS the warehouse saber appears to have a pommel geometry different to the V3 pretty much? The scallop on the V3 appears to be a lot closer to the main diameter than the warehouse hilt.
1613805683174.png
1613805689155.png

But for a claim like that based on something as simple as a trick of light isn't enough for me. I'm sorry to poop on people's parade but I think it's no more than just a highlight based on the light source.

I don’t know... thick scallop edge.. different d ring..

Bunker says they made multiple stunts...

We have a changed emitter, which makes me believe the emitter isn’t changing it’s a whole new hilt...

Anyway! This is going to be fun to study and theorize!!

Yea, i just want to remind everyone, its more than just a blurry photo but this is all conjecture. There are some things we know just via pictures and logic so its fun to theorize and analyze, maybe it will lead somewhere. Maybe.

... is the butt section of the pommel longer on the warehouse stunt? The cubes look asymmetrical, while the V3 has almost symmetrical cubes too.
Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 5.47.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 5.47.52 PM.png

... is the butt section of the pommel longer on the warehouse stunt? The cubes look asymmetrical, while the V3 has almost symmetrical cubes too.
View attachment 1428223View attachment 1428225

LOM is the master when it comes to v3 scaling.. I wonder what he thinks

Tom I got something for you to think about...

The stunt used in the throne room clearly has gaffers tape on the neck

IMG_0263.jpg

But then we see a stunt with it just tape on the neck.. but all over the clamp as well
IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

Is this the same stunt? Or are we looking at 2 different ones..

When the stunt broke and the blade and emitter came out.. was it fixed on set? Or did they just hand Hamill a back up?

I'm telling you, with almost complete certainty, it's the V3. The large scallop you're speculating would be seen when the hilt is held up as a longer steep on the bottom corner of the d-ring cube, but the channel runs the length of the cubes. The profile of the booster and pommel are an identical match.

LOM is the master when it comes to v3 scaling.. I wonder what he thinks

Tom I got something for you to think about...

The stunt used in the throne room clearly has gaffers tape on the neck

View attachment 1428232
But then we see a stunt with it just tape on the neck.. but all over the clamp as well
View attachment 1428235
View attachment 1428236

Is this the same stunt? Or are we looking at 2 different ones..

When the stunt broke and the blade and emitter came out.. was it fixed on set? Or did they just hand Hamill a back up?
Gaff tape? Nah, that's easy to add and rip off. I see a strip on the upper clamp in the first photo anyways. Now... lets see what I have..
Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 2.03.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 2.02.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 2.01.38 AM.png
IMG_0300.jpg
BetterResMoMROTJProof.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 2.02.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 2.02.14 AM.png
    472.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 2.03.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 2.03.22 AM.png
    521.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 2.01.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 2.01.38 AM.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 73
  • BetterResMoMROTJProof.jpg
    BetterResMoMROTJProof.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 62

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back