HAL 9000 SD Studios Replica

bodhicitta7

Let me lead by saying, please don’t troll me for creating an SD Studios thread. I have read the history of his business practices and am thankful that I wasn’t one of the unfortunate victims. Having lost $$ to replica prop makers in the past, I sincerely feel for those who got caught up in in the BS of this company.

That being said...I have one of the SD Studios HAL 9000 units that I purchased via private sale in 2016. SD Studios recently (February this year) listed an auction on eBay for “2001: A Space Odyssey HAL 9000 GLASS LENS, RED FILTER, WHITE LED for Moebius kit” for $49.95ea with the following comments in the auction description:
  • “Way back in 2013-2016, some company produced some "license-challenged" HAL 9000 replicas. They were the cat's meow. But they knew that they had to have the lens done properly, so they went to a big optics company in NY that did lots of work for the military. Normally, they wouldn't take on such a small, dopey project, but their project manager was a big fan of 2001 and agreed to make these. They still had to buy 250 for the minimum order, but they pulled it off.”
  • “There are only a few dozen left from that long-long-ago project and they are now being offered AT COST as a service to the collector community.”
  • “So this is OPTICAL GRADE. Copied from an original lens and is EXACTLY the same with the same optical properties as the original lens. These lens replicas also have a black coating (NOT PAINT! It's NOT! Seriously!) on the rear just like the original. Each one also has a scratch-resistant coating applied.”
The auction showed that 20 lenses had already been sold, and that there were more than 10 still available for purchase. Based on the above info, I have a few questions for my fellow RPF-ers:
  • Does anyone know if the original run was really limited to 250?
  • Were there additional runs beyond the original 250?
  • Since he is auctioning off at least 30 units, is there a way to determine how many finished units exist? (220 is the obvious answer, but hoping someone knows an exact number)
  • Other than me, do any other RF-ers own one of these?
  • What do you think the value of the replica is? (I know it’s very subjective, and at the mercy of the market, so maybe what I’m asking is – If you own one, what would you let it go for? And also yes, I did see that there was one that sold for £250 in the junkyard recently, but that seemed extremely low to me, hence this post)
  • Lastly, there is a motion sensor connection port on the motherboard, but all my attempts to add a sensor to activate the HAL voice via motion have failed due to the fact that the sensor cannot penetrate forward of the metal composition of the unit (even through the grill holes). Having a sensor hanging outside of the unit is not ideal, but I haven't been able to figure out a better option. Would love to be able to activate the HAL voice via motion versus sound. Has anyone determined a way to make the motion sensor work while keeping it hidden?
Really hoping that someone can provide info, given the experience and expertise of this community. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20210303_010639.jpg
    IMG_20210303_010639.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20210303_010716.jpg
    IMG_20210303_010716.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
The "HAL9000" decal on that looks a bit funky, and the speaker grilles on those always seemed a bit too light in color. They were nice pieces though.

The "some company" and "license-challenged" wording on that Ebay lens auction struck me as odd. Frankly much of the auction wording struck me as odd, almost smarmy. So what is the guy saying, exactly? That he's not that guy from that company? He had the license, or he didn't? Regardless of the auction text , and past "drama", I still bought one based on the premise that if he did run out, I may regret not buying one someday. Morbid curiosity makes me wonder how many he does have. Maybe they were "seconds" from some quality control process? Who knows.

It does suck to get ripped off, and my avatar attests to that. But the lens is a nice piece, and I got exactly what I was promised, so no issues with my transaction. With Ebay and Paypal protections in place, I figure I don't have to like someone to do business with them.

Well, that piece have the beveled sides that the original prop had...now, about that HAL 9000 logo :rolleyes:

The "HAL9000" decal on that looks a bit funky, and the speaker grilles on those always seemed a bit too light in color. They were nice pieces though.

Yeah, the original sticker was damaged during shipping (had a gouge in it). I was able to track down an aluminum plate that had the logo screen printed on it, so I replaced the damaged sticker with it. To be honest, I always thought the sticker nameplates looked a little tacky, so I wasn't that upset about replacing it. I think the aluminum plate looks way better on the piece than a sticker does given the overall quality of the replica, just my opinion.

Last edited:
I wonder if the 2013/16 timeline is correct coz I have an SD HAL9000 bought way before 2013, also a prototype SAL9000. The HAL came with a COA confirming it was a limited edition (but no mention of how many). As to value of the piece, that's difficult to say as it depends on the market. I have no plans to sell off mine but I would have valued it at around £500 (I certainly wouldn't accept less), however, get 2 fans desperate for one on an ebay auction and who knows where it would end up (getting the word out on forums like this is a sure way to get the price up). Mine is currently only voice activated but I do have the gubbins to make it motion activated as well (and had it working that way for a while). The only way I got it to work was to put the sensor behind the speaker grill so it can 'see' through the holes, it worked for me, not sure why it doesn't work for you. Are you sure you've plugged it into the correct port?

Finally, if you're not 100% happy with your replacement HAL9000 logo, why don't you put a post on here? There's lots of talented guys in the forum who may be able to make an accurate one for you.

Attachments

• 2001 HAL9000  - SD Studios.JPG
    2001 HAL9000 - SD Studios.JPG
    876.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 2010 SAL9000 - SD Studios.JPG
    2010 SAL9000 - SD Studios.JPG
    611 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
I wonder if the 2013/16 timeline is correct coz I have an SD HAL9000 bought way before 2013 also a prototype SAL9000. The HAL came with a COA confirming it was a limited edition (but no mention of how many). As to value of the piece, that's difficult to say as it depends on the market. I have no plans to sell off mine but I would have valued it at around £500 (I certainly wouldn't accept less), however, get 2 fans desperate for one on an ebay auction and who knows where it would end up (getting the word out on forums like this is a sure way to get the price up). Mine is currently only voice activated but I do have the gubbins to make it motion activated as well (and had it working that way for a while). The only way I got it to work was to put the sensor behind the speaker grill so it can 'see' through the holes, it worked for me, not sure why it doesn't work for you. Are you sure you've plugged it into the correct port?

Finally, if you're not 100% happy with your replacement HAL9000 logo, why don't you put a post on here? There's lots of talented guys in the forum who may be able to make an accurate one for you.

I did try the motion sensor behind the grill, but couldn't get it to work. I bought the motion sensor from Fry's, so curious as to which one you tried.

I also have the COA, instructions paperwork, and the cards that originally came with the replica.

Lastly, I am very happy w/the aluminum nameplate as I think it adds a more "authentic" look than a sticker does. It could probably be more screen accurate, but I'm cool with it as-is.

This is the motion detector I used. It's not one that allows you to mount the HAL flush on the wall, however,
20210305_162044.jpg
as it sticks out the back slightly. My HAL was on a stand in a display case at the time so that wasn't an issue.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back