Hal 9000 Panel

Look at all of those wonderful momentary switches. Sourcing illuminated switches like that hasn't been easy.
I agree, these look great. And, yes, I can't find ones like these at amazon, ebay, or aliexpress.
But these here look good:
at the bottom, the 34mm x 17mm switch with the flat cover.
But probably you need to purchase a thousand at a time...

I agree, these look great. And, yes, I can't find ones like these at amazon, ebay, or aliexpress.
these look good as well. the LEDs can be modified for different colorsref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

these look good as well. the LEDs can be modified for different colorsref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image
I agree, and I used them before.
But, in contrast to the movie, they have a frame and they are not flat.
Unlike those:
1616691717435.png

The buttons in 2001 were made out of colored acrylic, with a small base and were flat. Light source at the back did the trick, as well as with numbers, "technical indicators" , etc...There's a few framed buttons (pic with Poole's parents) in the centrifuge, if my memory serves me well;)

I sent an email to the company inquiring about the SPG2 34.8x17.4 mm flat cover and the 17.4mm square flat cover switches. They are about $7 ea. but have a $100 handling charge for orders under $1000. So yeah, we are small potatoes for a company who is a supplier for manufacturers. But I guess it depends on how much it is worth to someone.

I sent an email to the company inquiring about the SPG2 34.8x17.4 mm flat cover and the 17.4mm square flat cover switches. They are about $7 ea. but have a $100 handling charge for orders under $1000. So yeah, we are small potatoes for a company who is a supplier for manufacturers. But I guess it depends on how much it is worth to someone.
Thanks so much! I was really curious, but also too lazy to check with them. But now we know. And it's not very attractive - maybe for those who also buy the original Nikkor lens - but that's not me... :D

I forgot how finicky getting all the metal trim to be perfect it. Those corners are tricky.
View attachment 781797View attachment 781798View attachment 781799

The face of Hal will have an aluminum plate to even out the surface. Cut by hand them glued to the body.
View attachment 781800View attachment 781801
What tools did you use for cutting the 45's on your frame and what kind of saw did you use for the hole through the aluminum?
What thickness was your aluminum plate?

I cut the aluminum to length with a hacksaw. A little over my mark. Then I set up my small disc sander to 45 degrees and fed the material in until I hit the mark. The aluminum was thin hardware store aluminum sheet. I think I used repeated drill holes. Then carefully files up to the line. You have to be real careful not to kink or buckle the metal when you’re cutting and filing or it will show through on the final finish.

Last edited:
Hi Valor. Working on my HAL right now and very inspired by your build. I have a couple of questions: what vinyl wrap did you end using? Was it a mate black or bright? Looks bright to me and looks fantastic, but I thought I'd better ask Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Valor. Working on my HAL right now and very inspired by your build. I have a couple of questions: what vinyl wrap did you end using? Was it a mate black or bright? Looks bright to me and looks fantastic, but I thought I'd better ask Thanks!
There might be other options out there. But what I used was this.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back