Hal 9000 Panel

It's run by the excellent Adafruit FX Soundboard. This little board is incredible – and cheap. Nothing to program. Just drag sounds on it from your computer, hook up a battery, button and speaker and you're in business. I have a small momentary button at the top of Hal that cues a series of random Hal-isms.
Does it need soldering of the button and speaker etc?

Last edited:
Thanks Marcus,
I've decided to go with my glass lens for the build. Just need to replace the broken led :(

Attachments

• 20201004_131055.jpg
    20201004_131055.jpg
    633.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 20201004_131109.jpg
    20201004_131109.jpg
    626 KB · Views: 152
Yes:

Replacing an LED should be super simple as well..

Yes:

Replacing an LED should be super simple as well..
Much obliged friend. ;)

I'm new to the group and am looking to enhance the Moebius kit with sound and video displays. A lot of good information and tips from what others have done.

I'm new to the group and am looking to enhance the Moebius kit with sound and video displays. A lot of good information and tips from what others have done.
Hi,
Here is a simple way to add sound...
Or the more elaborate Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board are what most people use.

Since I'm rebuilding the ring, I incorporated the engraved lettering on the ring in my model. I'll be printing this out on a SLA printer so the copy holds up. I'll fill the engraved letters with white paint an get a pretty realistic look. Below is a test file I had printed showing the lettering ... a little messy... I'm still paying with the technique.
Did you ever share the STL for the 3D printed ring? I'd like to try to incorporate it into my model if I can to make it feel more authentic with the NIKKOR letters on it

Since I'm rebuilding the ring, I incorporated the engraved lettering on the ring in my model. I'll be printing this out on a SLA printer so the copy holds up. I'll fill the engraved letters with white paint an get a pretty realistic look. Below is a test file I had printed showing the lettering ... a little messy... I'm still paying with the technique.

View attachment 1339486View attachment 1339487

This is awesome. Any chance you'd do a run of rings?

Last edited:
Looking for some advise from the experts. Is this the most accurate speaker grill model available? It's quite different from the Mobius speaker grill (the holes being cut off on one side, most notably)

I think that's the right number of holes, the wave pattern is fairly flat, and the holes are on the slopes and not the summits of the grooves. That looks reasonable to me. The centrifuge HAL had the holes start close to the verticals. The Moebius kit does not have a screen-accurate grille from what I can see.

I think that's the right number of holes, the wave pattern is fairly flat, and the holes are on the slopes and not the summits of the grooves. That looks reasonable to me. The centrifuge HAL had the holes start close to the verticals. The Moebius kit does not have a screen-accurate grille from what I can see.
Thank you, sir. The holes on the very edge of the print were throwing me off. But I think Valor's has the same detail, so I was guessing it must be accurate

This isn't the best shot - I'm working on getting an improved view. But this is the centrifuge HAL faceplate grille.

The black dots are me just experimenting in Illustrator with hole size for the grille.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 03.39.40.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 03.39.40.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 113
I too wonder if the speaker grill wasn't something repurposed from a ready made speaker piece and was just a corrugated plastic that the prop shop drilled holes into. Much like this material...

EwNy38RVIAAYQrv.jpg

There are soooooo many close-but-not-quite corrugated AND drilled speaker covers from that timeframe. I find it hard to believe a busy prop maker would really sit there drilling all those holes. It's out there ... the real thing ... we just haven't identified it yet.

There are soooooo many close-but-not-quite corrugated AND drilled speaker covers from that timeframe. I find it hard to believe a busy prop maker would really sit there drilling all those holes. It's out there ... the real thing ... we just haven't identified it yet.
I`m not so sure (my two cents of course ;)) It would be easy to use a corrugated piece and drill holes. I did and it took me a little more than an hour. I know, who in their right mind would do that as a project...well, I did and it`s not impossible since you`ll have to make 4 grills for the different HAL cover plates. So in half a day, a prop maker could show what Stanley wanted:D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back