HAL 9000 Panel (2001:A Space Odyssey) - pg.5 final Update

Okay, I dug back into my Amazon purchase history from 2016 when I made my HAL. THIS .... THIS might be the correct one:

Thanks for doing that, man!

Wow. it looks superb! The flecks are very subtle, unless the metal plate you are waitng on is better, this would be a winner in my opinion. Very much appreciate the gif!

Rock on!
J

First post. I'm recently retired (computer programmer) and have gotten into 3D printing and CNC. I wanted to make a HAL 9000 replica and found this amazing thread. I took pieces from a this thread and a few others that I found. Here is what I have so far.

I used black acrylic that I cut out on a CNC machine using the dimensions from this thread. I created the texture by running it back and fourth over 220 grit sand paper. The eye is the large arcade button from Adafruit that I took apart and painted - removing the diffuser and adding a lens from a small flashlight. I replaced the white LED with a red one. I cut the Hal 9000 signage on a CNC machine using 4 mm clear acrylic, which was then painted from the back. The lettering was painted from the front and the mostly wiped off. The logo is not screen-accurate but I actually like my version better. My Hal uses a raspberry pi and is voice controlled. Hal engages in conversation with you and will display system functions (LIF, FLT, HIB, DMG etc) on a screen. My version is a combination of things from this thread, the Adafruit instructions, a 3D-printed frame on Thingiverse, a 3D printed speaker grill from someone else on Thingiverse, and some Python programming for a voice assistant that I found on YouTube. The graphics are from The Hal Project website. Note that this is still a work in progress. The new logo hasn't been added yet in the YouTube video. Currently it's using an external microphone and speaker while I wait for some electronics that I ordered for the Raspberry Pi.

Attachments

• HalLogoAcrylic.jpg
    HalLogoAcrylic.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 135
  • HalTexture.jpg
    HalTexture.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Hey, this is absolutely fantastic! The way you synchronized HAL's responses and the computer screens. Congratulations!
But I would really encourage you to start your own build thread here. There are many things that I would like to learn from you, and it would be more appropriate to have your own thread for this. I hope that you can provide us with more details soon, like the python voice assistant. I'm really looking forward to this.

Hey, this is absolutely fantastic! The way you synchronized HAL's responses and the computer screens. Congratulations!
But I would really encourage you to start your own build thread here. There are many things that I would like to learn from you, and it would be more appropriate to have your own thread for this. I hope that you can provide us with more details soon, like the python voice assistant. I'm really looking forward to this.
Sure. The main reason I posted to this thread was that people were asking about the texture for the main panel. Using sandpaper to add texture lines to black acrylic looks just about perfect to me.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back