Had a weekend chatting with Ian Whyte

TECKNOVIKING

Well as the title say`s a few weekend ago`s (Nov 2-5),I had the pleasure to be at the Leicester Space Centre`s Scifi weekend con. I was there as a Colonial Marine of the UKCM & AlienLegacy board.
Anyway the hotel I stayed at also was the same hotel Ian & his wife were staying at, as well as Trevor Steedman (Wierzbowski from Aliens) & Terry English (Original Aliens Armour maker),Spat Oktan (Plastic Colonial Marine fans armour maker) & Harry Harris (Aliens Archives Collection) too.

What a fantastic guy Ian is & he had as much fun as we all did at the con & back at the hotel. He was certainly keen to join in with all of us fans.

I actually asked about AVP-R & also said due to contracts I understand he cannot give much away either.

Anyway my first question to him was about the newer trailer that we see a fair amount of the "sports shop massacre". I asked due to this being showed in length this is not a typical Hollywood cruising stunt of the juicy bits to sell the film?
Ian said NO there is plenty more & lots of neat tricks,gadgets to be seen yet too.

I asked about his making "Wolf" a homage to Kevin Peter Hall`s portrayal of the original Predator.
Ian was happy with his homage but of course at the same time wished to keep the character his own.

I asked about the Whip "Wolf" uses.
Ian said he`d spent plenty of time training & had on set the instructor. They went through several whips throughout the film too.

Oh I also asked about prop keeps,alas Ian hasn`t kept any props of his roles from either AVP film.

Along with our resident "Bug" abe (played by Gareth),we had a chat about the suits coming to life. How the acotr becomes the creature & not leaving it to the suit to do the work. That was pretty interesting to listern to.

Ian seemed very excited for the new AVP-R film & even when asked said he`d Jump at the chance to play a Predator again given the chance. That the fans seem to have taken to him & how he wants to give us the fans something via the film that really meant a lot to me at least. He was pretty sincere & at ease too as this was all in the hotel bar during the weekend.

So overall,I think we`ve got a Great guy bringing the Predator to life. The passion is certainly there & that he`s eager to be accepted by the fandom,well that is great to hear IMHO.
So I was already looking forward to AVP-R,now I`m really excited.

Here`s a few photos of that weekend.

Myself & Ian
NSC060.jpg

Now this was a beaty of a weapon & Ian was keen to have a hold
NSC061.jpg

NSC062.jpg

A costume Pred (friendlyskies),Myself & Ian
NSC074.jpg

NSC076.jpg

Ian on the UKCM rifle range...Shooting ME!!!
NSC078.jpg

Ian meeting Predators (Not my photos)
0711040073.jpg

nov07127.jpg

Sunday evening meal with the best bunch of guys & gals
0711040077.jpg

Well hope you don`t mind my sharing this story.
Sorry I didn`t have anything more juicy though I understand the part of contracts so wanting going to push.As I for one would love to see Ian in the future return to the role of Predator.

Jason

Ya bastards , i hate you all hehe

looks like you had a great time, and Ian looks lie he was keen to be a part of it.

congrats all around.

Thank`s & it was excellent to meet him in such casual conditions too as well as at the NSC (National Space Centre) too.

On the Sat night we had a NSC Scifi Dinner which was excellent & raised a fair bit for charity too. Ian was awarded the ALG (AliensLegacy Gold Award) Gold Dropship pin & certificate. To which I have the honour of being part of the team responsible for the pins. Ian was also given a UKCM NSC 2007 T-shirt & the cake was shaped like a 1:1 M41-A1 Pulse Rifle with LED counter. The cake made by Mike Rush (the other half of the Pin design team too).
Here`s the 3 Dropship Pins PROOFS. Top: Pewter,Middle: Silver,Bottom: Gold
3some003.jpg

As said Ian seemed very genuine & very sincere for the fans of the Predator franchise.

Anyway the photo of the Sunday Dinner,was an improptu of those who couldn`t be bothered going out for Chinese. Those who stayed asked if we could have tables together for one big party & Ian & his wife were keen to join us. How`s that

As said Great guy,Great time with Great people & made money for charity. what could be better
I`m truely hoping 2008 NSC (all being well there is on),I`ll have a Pred costume sorted & would be fantastic if Ian was there again too :)

Jason

If they do have another, I should be trolling along with a couple of preds of my own. Looks like a blast mate shame I couldn't make this one but other commitments dragged me off to far flung and sunny Wales.

WOW!!!

What an OUTSTANDING opportunity you had there! Thanks so much for sharing it w/ us here! It sounds like you'd acted quite respectfully towards asking Ian stuff about AVP-R as well. In my experiences, you're far more likely to get some form of a suggestive hint in regards to a secret or two out in those types of relaxed situations when you mention it in advance that you aren't going to even ask to get certain info that just can't be give out yet, rather than trying to keep pushing to get all that you can out of 'em. You've made a lot of us here incredibly jealous about your time spent w/ him! Looks like all of you who were there had a really great time!

Way cool, bro! Thanks again for sharing!!!

That sounded like a fun time. Thanks for sharing it.

OK, this picture signifies the reason I'm always telling everyone here to platform their feet as much as possible........

nov07127.jpg

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back