H. P. Lovecraft

Got all my HPL birthday surprises mailed! They should arrive Tuesday (for the US addresses). Just in time!

Direct from the Harley Warren Memorial Library here in Florida to you.

I feel so accomplished.

-MJ

I'm sure I've posted these before on the RPF, but perhaps not in this thread...

Here are my matchbooks, inspired by Andrew Leman's matchbooks for the Gilman House, et al.

If you're going to print these out, do it on gloss card stock. I tried it on matte card stock and it just looks off.

And yes, you can dissect a real match book for the components! Matches & striker. Stapling it back together was tricky for me however. Real matchbooks use narrower staples than a regular stapler.

You get:

The Morrison (Shipping) Company, a reference to The Call of Cthulhu
First National, a reference to The Shadow Over Innsmouth, using their actual period logo!
Fer de Mal, my fictional cigarette brand, obviously inspired by Andrew Leman's Fleur de Lys

I have so many other ideas for matchbooks, I could be making matchbooks all day long :)

Attachments

• First Nat & Fer de Mal RGB.pdf
    694.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Morrison Shipping Co Matchbook RGB.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 93
Sheesh Mike, you've been busy!

Sadly I don't have anything Lovecraft related going on (well, ready in the next few days)... I feel so lazy, but real life has put a damper on too many projects going on at the moment.:wacko

Oh, the matches are old. So old.... I would love to get real matchbooks made, but I'm afraid of the minimums.... LIke I'm gonna sell a hundred matchbooks....

-MJ

I'm feeling lazy, too, just reading some Robert E. Howard right now :)

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, they're a year old. Still, that's a good long while. I must have shared them before.

Hmm, I wonder what it would end up costing per matchbook out of curiosity...

Oh, the matches are old. So old.... I would love to get real matchbooks made, but I'm afraid of the minimums.... LIke I'm gonna sell a hundred matchbooks....

-MJ

I'm feeling lazy, too, just reading some Robert E. Howard right now :)

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, they're a year old. Still, that's a good long while. I must have shared them before.

A quick search shows $32 for 50 matchbooks, but that's a one-color job, and I don't know if they print on the edges, either. I'd have to ask Andrew Leman how he got his full-color ones done.... I imagine the full color ones have higher minimums....

Still, you could have some fun with a 'budget' color-on-color matchbook....

- - - Updated - - -

Here's one: Red & Blue ink on a white matchbook: $166 for 2,500.

Ok, here's my contribution. Backstory and label to come (my old computer crashed with all my label templates etc. on it)

Made the base out of a little girls butterfly clock, Bondo cap, and a wood plaque lol.

This talk of his birthday has inspired me. A new bar just opened near my house, called 'Lovecraft' (and yes, it's themed, not just a coincidence). I think I'll check it out tomorrow!

Yup yup! That's awesome work man! I seriously need to start framing my paper props so that I can show them off. I keep saying that but that's my next plan. lol

Nice! You check your mail today?

Nice! I just heard about that today from someone else. I went to one in Portland, OR. a month ago. Send me pics if you get any! I would love to make a little trip out of checking out the Storm Crow Tavern in Vancouver BC.

This talk of his birthday has inspired me. A new bar just opened near my house, called 'Lovecraft' (and yes, it's themed, not just a coincidence). I think I'll check it out tomorrow!

The margins on my mummy invitations bothered me, so I've tweaked them. Also set the resolution of the raster art on this PDF very high.

Attachments

• Museum Invitations.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 107
THis will take forever to finish. Which is why it has sat virtually untouched from August 3, 2013 to today. I wish I could just find a good map and Photoshop the name, but HPL gives us all these damn specifics. This many streets and this many bridges and so on. It's a really tiny town, much smaller than Newburyport, which inspired it, IIRC, even as far back as 1851. Newburyport easily has twice as many streets. Much more wharfage, too.

-MJ

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back