H.P. Lovecraft inspired CERAMICs

Okay, so this is a bit different from the busts and such on here, but I figure someone out there can use the following pictures as reference for their projects.

First, a bit of background. I am a three time art school drop out and one time make-up school drop out. Currently I am cleverly disguised as a biochemistry senior at a local private university.

Anyway, biochemistry isn't the easiest course load for an old fart like me. I needed two general education credits...and needed to pad the GPA a bit...
As it turns out at this university, art classes fit the bill. So last summer I took Introduction to drawing and introduction to ceramics. Easy As for me as I have been there done that.

Anyway, turns out the ceramics class was taught by nationally known sculptor, Leslie Brunning. Lucky me. This guy ain't no slouch and quickly recognized that I was a bit further along than most "intro" students. As a result he basically turned me loose in the studio and pretty much let me make what I felt like making- no basic technique garbage for me!

Anyway, as a longtime H.P. Lovecraft fan, I felt it was only fitting to show off a bit to the poor beginning students. The following is a sample of the results. (And yes, I pulled As in both clases and boosted my average 2.7 GPA up to a 3.1....)

First up is a stoneware texture study with colored slips, stain and clear glaze. Sort of a Giger meets Lovecraft bit of incised slabwork.I called it R'lyeh

texturestudy2a_zpseab7a5d9.jpg

texturestudy2_zps9f736d5e.jpg

texturestudy2b_zpscd415ab4.jpg

texturestudy2c_zpsd2059561.jpg

texturestudy2d_zps7e8b105f.jpg

From there the syllabus made me take it a step further and build a BIG slab contstruction. This is 19 inches high after firing. Same sort of techniques, just big and heavy. Titled this one Nameless Horror
texturestudy1_zpsa559a613.jpg

texturestudy1a_zps7b02053b.jpg

texturestudy1b_zps1305b3ac.jpg

texturestudy1closeupA_zps3735d9ce.jpg

Then the teaching assistant and the professor "called" me on my skill level as in "You shouldn't be taking intro, more like intermediate..." Okay, guilty as charged. They handed me about 15 pounds worth of porcelin clay, something I have never played with before AND challenged me to throw it on a wheel. Not one to resist a challenge, I kept the Lovecraftian theme going and produced these:
This is unglazed, unstained, fired white porcelain.
lovecraftporcelin2_zps27630843.jpg

I titled this two tiered vase "Old One"
lovecraftvase_zpsd4c4a96a.jpg

and this hollow yet completely enclosed paperweight "Shoggoth"
lovecraftpaperweight_zps7e58c39e.jpg

lovecraftporcelin_zpsc5aa55d1.jpg

And finally, what is the point of playing with clay and abusing Lovecraftian themes without doing a rendition of The High Priest himself into a functional sculpture? I have filthy teenagers running around the house that like to loose my car keys for me, so now they are protected by C'thulu himself and gods-know-what nastiness. I titled this custom glazed stoneware piece "Idol"

cthulukeygaurd_zps6c5e739f.jpg

Thanks for the complements, all. This was kind of a lark for me. Ceramics is a medium I hadn't worked in for 20 years and when I did then is was really basic stuff- lots of lopsided pots and coiled stuff.

I was shocked by what can be achieved by poking the heck out of some wet clay.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back