H.M.S. SOJOURNER Steampunk Airship scratchbuild

JP Modelworks

H.M.S. Sojourner
Steampunk Airship
“N” Scale

This project is a 99% scratch built model of my own design. I was fascinated by the Steampunk genre and wanted to build my own version of a Victorian style flying machine.

After making a sketch of the side and rear view I started working on the build. I decided to make it “N” Scale so I would have access to various ship building parts that were readily available.

The main hull was vacuum formed from a RENSHAPE master I carved in halves as I wanted to be able to split the part in half and add a beefy center spar to the hull.

The only kit parts that were used in this build were the two “lift” tanks taken from two Monogram Mack tanker trucks, the three rotary engines which were Roden Gnome Monosoupape 9B kits and some crew members from Preiser and cargo pallets from Woodland Scenics. Real rope coils were also made and added to the deck. Custom brass engraved plaques for the name on the back of the bridge and the main base. The patina was then added and sealed with clear. All the chain used was real miniature black chain and the connectors were jewelry making accessories.

The entire model was painted with Tamiya acrylics and Bare metal Foil was used for the side details.

This build was done over a 6 year period when I could find the time to work on it. A totally enjoyable project.

Attachments

• front view 3.jpg
    front view 3.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 799
  • Front view 2.jpg
    Front view 2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 584
  • Close up 3.jpg
    Close up 3.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 359
  • Close up.jpg
    Close up.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 547
  • Close up 2.jpg
    Close up 2.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 352
  • Close up 6.jpg
    Close up 6.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 299
  • Close up 4.jpg
    Close up 4.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 255
  • Close up 5.jpg
    Close up 5.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 420
  • Front view 9.jpg
    Front view 9.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 365
  • Rear view.jpg
    Rear view.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 543
I love it!- a great blending of style and retro-engineering. What really sells it for me is that the actual mechanics of how it works are unknown, but when you look at it you can see how everything functions together and is logically laid out so it looks like an evolved technology, just one we are unfamiliar with. The ship itself looks like a product of those times instead of some mechanical greebly box- it has the style and grace of a vessel designed by someone who takes pride in their work instead of just a housing to hold the equipment and crew.

Very well done!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back