Interest Guardians of the Galaxy Infinity Orb with Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so things have still been happening, but this has been a bit of a process of trial and error.

The molds for everything are all done, and they cast perfectly - no problems, no bubbles, no nothing. In that sense, I am at least reasonably able! And the cold cast parts feel great - really nice and heavy, especially the bronze.

My problem has to do with the actual finishing of the parts. The cold cast bronze parts are coming out okay with simple steel wool polishing, but the cold cast aluminum is not inspiring a ton of confidence. Here's a look:

Quite happy with the finish on that - it's simply polished. The orb exteriors you see in that picture were spraypainted black, and then I sanded the paint off the outer surfaces, polishing them up. This helps make the recesses darker, which I think is necessary, but they're not quite as shiny as I would have hoped for. I might try using shoe polish in the recesses instead or something - I need something to make the holes darker. And before it's suggested, yes, I am mixing black dye in with the cold casts!

But here's an example of some of the aluminum problems I'm having:

Steel wool, high grit sandpaper, polishing wheels, even tried a headlight buffing kit to try and bring these things up to a good and consistent shine, but I end up with somewhat blotchy looking finishes on the flat surfaces. I'm not really happy with that.

Every polishing wheel I've tried on the orb exteriors gets shredded pretty quickly due to the design of the part.

Any suggestions? Anything obvious I'm missing? This is the only thing keeping me from getting final assembly done on some of these things, since I'm not really happy with the look of the aluminum parts.

Also: There are non-cold-cast finishes I could try that would probably be a lot easier and consistent, but end up not having the weight or authentic shine of the cold cast metallics. Would people consider that an adequate substitute?

Personally I would be fine with that finish. I would also take a non cold cast finish too so I could finish it myself. Whatever is easier for you I'll make it work. That being said obviously I don't speak for anyone but myself but I would take it either way.

I have to say whilst it's always difficult to tell from pics, I like the finish as well. :)

Hello, been following this project in the shadows for a while now, very interested in this prop, I am a prop maker in LA , formerly with ISS,I just have to chime in here, I know exactly what the painter used on these ,cold cast aluminum is a good base, but once the anatomy of the surface is smooth enough with steel wool, then a light base of a product called " Alumaluster " followed with a very light coat of " shrapnel " is applied with an airbrush, these are the very best metal simulation products on the market, unmatched realism. The company who makes it is not a huge company but a smaller operation,called Imperial.Ask for sam, Here is the link, :http://imperialsurfacetechnologies.com/ist-imperiflex.html
Kinda pricey, but these systems are the paints that legacy fx and Iss and most shops use now for just about anything,Iron man suits included. On your particular project, I would suggest using a auto clear matte to seal the alumaluster in. We also use a floor wax shine product as well. My two cents, The orb you have there looks absolutley real, and I really want one now lol. Hope all that helps!

Sorry about the delay - we are back on track. I had some pressing personal stuff going on regarding my job and I had to spend a lot of my days working on finding a new one! Didn't want to get too tied up in producing orders until I had my financial situation stabilized, but I think by the end of the week we should be good to go again.

The finish on the orbs that I'm getting from cold casting is a bit hit-or-miss, to be honest. A lot of the problem is still the post-casting finishing work, from what I'm seeing, since the orb is such a weird shape. I've tried polishing wheels, polishing compounds, a headlight refinishing kit, various grits of sandpaper, steel wool of different grades, and even that weird nylon-esque artificial steel wool. Biggest problem seems to be that the polishing tools snag all over the surface of the orb, given its' design.

I'm considering offering a black-resin cast version (similar to Onyx) instead of the cold cast, just because I feel like based on my testing, you can still get the 'best' finish out of these things by simply applying silver rub 'n buff overtop a black base. I'll post some comparison shots in a little bit so you guys can see what's going on.

Ein,
As to the cold casting problems, it may be down to the mold. In my experience working with the Loki Spears/Scepters, for cold cast aluminum to really shine (huh..pun), the prototype and mold has to be pretty smooth for a real metallic finish, and even then, it still needs good weathering to sell the finish. How smooth was the prototype? How are you applying the powder? Are you using any fluids with the steel wool? What's the grain size/maker on your aluminum powder?

In my experience, I made sure to have a super sleek prototype, lots of sandable primer and working down to 0000 steel wool on the proto before molding, I try to get it glass smooth. On the casts, I brush the aluminum on with a very soft bristle brush with no mold release. Once the resin is cured and pulled, I use just the 0000 steel wool OR sometimes I've done it with just a stiff terry cloth or t-shirt scrap, always with very light pressure. The less you work the surface, the better I find for the aluminum. For tricky bits, I also use mineral spirits as a polishing fluid.

Are you still accepting people for the interest list? If so I would like to be added for the whole package please and thank you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back