Grusderk Predator Info

"Search" and you shall find. I can give you my honest opinion if you want. As of last year the guy has been producing sub standard masks and suits for the price. His undermask is potentially dangerous and his latex is strange and ultra thin. His paint ups suck as well. Since I havent seen a pic or a review of any changes since, I would say it is safe to assume they still suck. If you want to be a guinnea pig and order something from him, I would say do at your own risk. Hope that helps

I ordered a mask from him and overall I was satisfied. However, like ptgreek said, the mask is very thin. Mine has a hole in the cheek already. The bio i got was horrendous. very heavy and not durable. The dreads are foam (which is okay but the rings are cheaply constructed. So $500.00 = overpriced for the overall quality) The undermask will only work if the measurments match you head precisely. So I would avoid that. People have been getting poor quality masks from him as of late. Im assuming its because of the demand. If you do order from him, be very stern about how you want it done and if its not right demand that it be taken care of. Ive done orders with Gabriel and I liked doing business with him. However, there are many other talented artists on the lair that can do a more thourough job for about the same price.
here is my very mask:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnumWIsw6c4

The poor quality has little to do with demand and more to do with sloppiness and an overall lack of knowledge of how to cast. There are plenty of other makers who get a high demand for orders, yet they still provide quality castings. As for being specific and asking what you want? read my posts about the second mask that he sent after the first bad one he sent....it was worse ...and trust me I was very specific about what was wrong

Oh no, you misunderstand me! I know of your situation. What I meant was if Dboyslade really wanted to pursue business, that would be the best route for him. Based on what "sold" me to buy his mask, the quality seemed fine and I loved his sculpt. During the process he constantly sent me pictures and I was able to comment/criticize and he adjusted what i didnt like. I mean Obviously, I came across similar problems as you, but i got my mask 3 years ago maybe, and the quality is nothing compared to what ive seen produced by him lately (as in your case). Thats why i recommended that Dboyslade may want to look around first before he makes his decision.

What do you think about grusderk latex quality? my opinion, any can make error or mystake when build , but atm i mean suit, because i search a very very nice model base suit, body fit with nice muscles and strongest latex, i don't want buy a suit, paint and after no much time the suite will broke, don't know if you can put more latex for make a more strongest suit.

George (ptgreek) speaks the truth, and I know this because he gave me his Grusd mask to see if I could figure out a more efficient way to make the jaw system work. First off, the fiberglass frame he uses to fit the head could potentially put an eye out with all the fiberglass shards pointing off of it. Seriously, if you put that thing on right out of the box without looking at if first, you could actually take an eye out. The jaw system, while good in theory, is so stiff that you'd have TMJ after a few times of trying to use it. There may be some hope for the overall design, but it needs to be seriously re-tooled, and I'll be starting with a new frame, maybe going with a semi-rigid resin like Task 14 for a more comfortable (and safer) frame. Now, maybe it's possible that the mask George got just happened to have a VERY "stiff" jaw mechanism in it... Maybe they're not ALL like that... But, you can barely move it using both hands with strong force, and you want to put that kind of pressure on your jaw?... And if they're all like that, I can't believe anyone would claim that it actually works.

But the thing that really blows me away is the poor quality of the mask overall. Even if the jaw system worked flawlessly (and it barely works AT ALL), the mask itself is beyond sub-par at ANY price. The sculpt is small to begin with, there are really no dread holes to speak of, the molding job was horrendous and the casting is so thin you can just about see through it in places. Now, yes, I realise for a functional working mandible system, you don't want a super thick casting, but to be honest, I don't even know how he gets castings that thin. Maybe it's the latex available overseas, but even if I do an uber thin casting with a quick dwell and dump, mine will still come out at least twice as thick and would still be plenty flexible enough to accommodate enough movement for a system like that. The only thing I can figure is that he does a couple brush in layers and leave it at that.

I'm generally not one to slam someones work, but I can tell you in all seriousness, if you take a look around these forums, you'll find MANY examples of first time sculptors who do FAR superior masks. In my opinion, for the few hours that you'll actually have the suit on, you'll impress FAR more people with a great looking mask (for the same amount of money or less) than you will with a crappy mask with a shoddy jaw system that works sub-par at best... so, as stated above, enter at your own risk.

I don't have dubts, i take mask from Usurper, USURPER FTW ;) but no one here have see and touch gursderk suit?
As far as his suits go, I've only seen his tutorial and pics on his pages. No reviews.

I think this thread needs a direct reminder of Usurpers mask review...
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=13071

and of course ptgreeks experience...
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=13119

These are a couple of the first threads I read on The Lair.

The only thing Grusderk-related that's going into my suit is a HEAVILY-MODIFIED version of his underskull design.
I built a proto based off his original design and it was an absolute pain in every way, so I spent ages tweaking the design to the point that my version only vaguely resembles his (and is a vast improvement in range of movement, structure and wearability).

I don't recommend using stuff made by him.

I don't have dubts, i take mask from Usurper, USURPER FTW :D but no one here have see and touch gursderk suit?
I have his suit, and one of his masks. ptgreek is correct with the drop in quality control. When I first built my pred I was attracted to the Grusderk design for the same reason as everyone else, the moving mandibles. So I followed up on it here's the story:
Ordered a "Scar" mask and body suit, delivery time 6 weeks (quote) actual delivery time 7 months. The mask overall quality was pretty good, the bio was **** and the suit fit me perfect although the latex is pretty thin, and the jaw system only sort of works. This was a little over two years ago. The suit has held up pretty good, but I don't wear my pred that often, the mask itself is okay, the dreds are not as hard as rocks and the teeth are coming off. The mask is at the point where I will need to replace the dreds and fix the teeth before I can wear it.
About a year ago I ordered a Wolf from Grusderk and it was junk, he sent me another one, just as junky. He has since, I have heard anyway, taken a hiatus in order to work on his molds and casting techniques.
Here is my advice to anyone, if you really want a functioning mandible system look into some of the animatronic that can be added to masks. Yes they are expensive (I was quoted around 300 just for lower jaw system), but I would rather get a good quality mask that has been expertly painted and then spend the extra money on animatronics, than have to deal with or mod a next to useless prop. Food for thought for anyone who is enthralled by the moving mandible fantasy.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back