Grey Fox's Arm Cannon (Metal Gear Solid) COMPLETED!

Beer_Money_Props

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A friend (and fellow RPF'er Jose Robles ) and I started talking about future build ideas on Facebook one day, and he mentioned he wanted to give Grey Fox a shot. I instantly saw an opportunity to expand on my foam building skill set (I'm terrible at coming up with challenging ideas for my own stuff) so I asked if it would be alright if I gave it a shot for him in exchange for some shout-out style recognition to help build some buzz around my upcoming business, and possibly a few beers the next time we hung out.

Long story short, everyone likes free stuff so a deal was struck. :cheers

He dug up a lot of screen shots and found a picture on Deviant art of a roughed side-view line drawing (Turns out the original artwork is from fellow RPF member Escher. Big thanks to him for that!). Using this to play with I got myself situated in InkScape and vectored the cannon with a little more precision to make it easier for me to understand how it went together...

11787984273_e1e2e49606.jpg

11788114234_1462f65a1e_z.jpg

From here I printed off a 1:1 scale side view on some cardstock, and went to work cutting it into manageable pieces to build. I had a lot of leftover foam and various fiddly bits that needed some purpose, so I went about using up some scrap foam floor mats.

11788317036_106db490d4_c.jpg

Since this is my first scratch build, the picture above is the product of about 3 different attempts to get it right. Angles and hill/valley cuts don't always make themselves readily known to get clean edges when you don't have a Pep plan to work from...I ended up redoing pieces a few times till I finally had a grasp of working with foam in 3 dimensions from a 2 dimensional drawing. Practice does make perfect...Or in my case...Close enough for government work. Then it was just a matter of cutting out pieces of foam, test fitting them, adjusting where needed, and gluing it up...

11787547685_23a27c9074_c.jpg
11787970754_1bfc15fb2e_c.jpg

Of course, at this stage I couldn't help try it on...You know...Just because...

11787577375_75f6ab93a1_c.jpg

With the rough shape done, it was time to start adding all the little bits that make it "pop" (hehehehe...get it, pop! Because it's a barrel...Man, I kill me...).

11787977754_90c7f70ece_c.jpg

...Then I added some 3mm foamies to fill in the barrel bits (and yes, that's a water bottle cap on the end...Budget build yo!), the rear forearm "shroud", and the clip/magazine/whatsit under the foregrip....

11787982234_cda207c70b_c.jpg
11787979724_1867c23299_c.jpg

Once I was happy with the overall build, it was time to add some little details with the Dremel and my hot knife.

11787984994_81cdd2be83_c.jpg

Next came two coats of Plasti-Dip to seal it up...

11787988684_49c9653266_c.jpg

11788346476_c105a40bd2_c.jpg

Another 2 coats of Rust-oleum Hammered finish gloss black is going on now (You really can't tell there's a difference, otherwise I'd post a picture)...Tomorrow should be a weathering and clear coating kinda day and this bad boy is just about wrapped up...

*********EDIT AND UPDATE***********

Paint and Weathering COMPLETE!

Stage one is just a single pass of gunmetal silver acrylic along all the edges (this also helps hide seam issues if there are any...)

12033125096_557a3b5d7a_z.jpg

Stage two is going back over all the areas again to bring out the color. I tend to blob mine on and then play around with it with the wrong end of the paint brush in places where it's slightly heavier than everywhere else...

12032565163_d9a99854b6_z.jpg

Which gives it this (IMHO) cool effect

12032568753_1991b3214b_z.jpg

Then it's dirt and grime time...I make up my own filth color with yellow, brown, and a metallic black acrylic paint concoction. Swirling it all together makes for some pretty convincing dirty spots. A quick heavy brush-on followed by a wipe down with a clean cloth leaves just enough behind to give it that used and abused feel.

12032276935_ac9b537e6b_z.jpg

Couple of beauty shots while being worn and static (apologies for the horrible cell phone photos and my kitchen floor back-drop).

12032547373_ab38347885_z.jpg

12032545073_f745ae9039_z.jpg

12032556733_4013d61f3a_z.jpg

In case anyone is wondering, this one weighs in at right around 6lbs ready to wear. The entire body of the cannon is hollow, and I left the end of the barrel removable to add lights or sound if the person wearing it decided they wanted something like that.

Thanks for watching!

Last edited:
thanks for the cred

Very impressive on how you figured out the shapes so well. I based my blueprint on the action figure by Play Arts Kai, which has a small laser module mounted on the right side, along with some decals of safety/tech gibberish. I think that would make a great addition to what you have if you feel up to making that part

thanks for the cred

Thanks for pointing it out that it was deserved man. Credit where its due!

Very impressive on how you figured out the shapes so well. I based my blueprint on the action figure by Play Arts Kai, which has a small laser module mounted on the right side, along with some decals of safety/tech gibberish. I think that would make a great addition to what you have if you feel up to making that part
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/844/l741.jpg

Thanks!

I did build it with the scope and laser "thingy" in mind though. I left an intentional gap between the body of the cannon and the handle that will allow a piece of 10mm foam mat to barely squeeze through to attach those detail pieces to. I just didn't have enough info or images on those parts to make a good judgement on what they should look like. I also didn't quite get the rear upper detail right, and the front lower piece ended up getting built rounded instead of square. It looks good, but it's definitely accuracy-lacking.

This was a one off, (and more or less just a challenge build) and I've already passed it off to my buddy to do with whatever he wants. At some point I'm going to build another one for myself when I have more room to display it. Right now I'm working out of an apartment with limited wall space and my little garage/workshop isn't conditioned...in the summer I'm pretty sure anything I left out there would melt into a puddle of parts and goo.

I'll definitely have to get (or possibly beg for) more info from you when I start one for myself. It's a cool weapon for sure and it was "a blast to build". :lol

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back