Interest Greedo Killer Accurate Grill

Although $130 definitely seems to be justified, I think I'll stick to my current grill for now. I could see myself wanting to splurge for the scope if there is enough demand to keep the price attainable. Perhaps running the parts individually will encourage some people to go in that might not have signed on for a full kit. Can't wait to hear how this project develops!

Guys I'd prefere definitely the whole kit rather than the single piece and I know how anal on accuracy You two are, so please! please!!

Still in though!

Regards,

Alberto

I think at that price I'm out. I know the quality of Scott's work firsthand, so no doubts on how great these will be. Just can't justify it for now

Ok guys, Aaron said cost for the grill will be $130 NOT anodized. If he makes 30 or 50 it's the same price. It's a lot of man hours and machine work to do these, plus it requires custom tooling to be made.

The ONLY way to make it less expensive is to do 1000, and I think you all know there's no way to justify that since he'd never sell that many to justify his time.

Just some Fyi on what goes into making a complicated part like this:

R&D time
Tooling Cost
CNC Operations setup/programming
Manning the machines as they cut along the program
Setting up EACH operation for multiple pieces
Clean up of EACH part

Two things remain... Anodizing costs... and the consideration of the M2 bolt. IF we include a drilled/milled M2 bolt placement hole that would help with it being easier to hang for anodizing, but would add an operation or two to make the grill.

Aaron was that estimate with that included???

So its many many hours into one single part. The Mount parts are considerably less complicated to make, but are numerous parts, so there's lots of time involved in those too.

Then a Scope... it's a complicated scope, and he hasn't even laid hands on one yet, but I can tell you by comparison to a Hensoldt the Compac Super is WAY more complicated. It will be expensive to replicate in its entirety.

So knowing this info so far...

Who's still in... and I mean... please soul search. We'd need REAL commitment before doing anything. If it comes down to people saying "I'm in" until the time comes to pony up and then everyone leaves Aaron hanging... that would not be cool at all. I'm not saying you have to pay up front, but please let's take it a step at a time and first think about whether you'd be happy paying for a custom accurate part at this price.

Aaron needs at least 30 or he aint doing diddly squat, and I'm backing him up on that. Too much time and effort for a bunch of maybe.

Then, let's talk about the other parts. Take into consideration that the scope will be $$.

Aaron says a Flash hider is possible... but not practical to make (correct me if wrong Aaron). It would cost exponentially more than finding a vintage part, so I don't see the worth. Same with the weaver rings.

The scope almost no one can find vintage, so a replica would rule of course.

quote this

why would we take 3 steps instead of one.. ( its like owning a machine shop, but outsourcing all your work to someone else because they can make it $10 cheaper)

I was asked to look at some parts and figure out how to make them ACCURATE, I did my best to figure out how to make a small volume of grilles for as little as possible.

it can be done, but realistically...

Thanks.. Solo's Hold

Has anyone Contacted DEC about a greedo killer kit?

Last edited:
So it looks like this may be stillborn... so It's up to everyone who actually wants this to make it happen. I've got my GK sorted. ^_^ So you guys are up... make the case.

I got a email back from my anodizer, I can do them all and include that at no additional cost of the grilles.

But yeah, this idea is looking like it died on the doorstep..

Last edited:
Would having them anodized be preferred? I know CE's are anodized but the reason I ask is because Scottjua just finished my GK build. I provided the CE grill. He sent me picts of the build's progress. I noticed he stripped the anodizing off and refinished it.

Or was it because the anodizing on the CE grill was the wrong color/luster?

Just wondering.

Couldn't tell you, to achieve black when anodizing they just leave it in until it turns black. there is a time limit when a part can take no more.

You can get a matte or a shiny black, but when you don't get to choose when you use found parts. That is all part of the goal here.

Hey Frank, I didn't strip the anodizing off the CE grill... I just weathered it a bit.

I think the original part was more than likely anodized or painted. Painted doesn't seem likely as it was probably some heatsink of some sort, so paint would get too hot.. anodizing would seem logical. Then again, I'm not an electrical engineer and am only armchair quarterbacking on something I know little about.

But your grill is still anodized, and it looks right to me.

I would want mine anodized. Painting that with all those grooves would suckdiddlyuck

I'm still very much in for this run over here... I think the anodizing included on the piece is excellent. I'm really excited to see what you all come up with given your previous work ;)

Last edited:
I do believe based on the complexity of the scope, flash hider( mostly the clamp) the minute details of the grill ( unless you know what you are looking at, and from looking at the picture its deceiving. There is not one operation on it that uses anything close to Nominal tools, that is why making it accurate would be so time consuming.) the parts kit would be more expensive than people would feel comfortable spending on the parts. The feeling I am getting is that it would be more work than it is worth, and I am reminded of DEC's last run, and I know as someone who can appreciate what it took to make the more affordable DL kit, and that Dave got hurt doing that run..

I think there are to many unreasonable expectations revolving around this project already.
Unless there are serious committals to any part, I don't see this going much further than it is right now..

After talking with Scottjua, I have expressed my concerns about going through all the trouble of figuring out all the parts. We both agree that no matter what, there needs to be serious interest.

I hope you all understand that taking the time to do this would be a serious labor, while I can appreciate that the economy is not great, and that most collectors and enthusiasts look at the total budget for any build as a primary factor. I am sympathetic in every way.

So lets leave it up to everyone here to show some real interest, and if enough people actually want this to go forward, I will do my best to figure out everything and put together a complete kit that would be as affordable as possible.
You have to understand that if I only made 30 grilles, that the idea of making 30 anything( and I know from lots of experience) makes the cost higher for a low volume highly accurate part. Someone said hey can you make masters and farm it out.. its kind of insulting if you think about what that implies.

You can have 2 parts that look similar, one can be cheaper, but less accurate, a part that has high tolerance and many details is gonna be expensive in low volume.

If there is serious interest, maybe. taking on a commitment and building lots of these things with no guarantee that they won't collect dust forever is not very wise.
Especially if the next guy comes along and wants to make them to cut Scott or my legs off for the glory of it..
Thanks.

Also , all the parts except for the scope don't look overly complicated, I don't see a huge issue with making them. Again its just serious interest..

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back