Interest Greedo Killer Accurate Grill

Price is a huge factor four us all, if it's $200 for an accurate grill, then I'd personally pass. Also, just as a strange note, Corellian Export's resin Greedo Killer grill seems to have the correct number of fins, while their aluminum one has too many... Weird. :confused Still hoping for more available Greedo Killer parts too! A machined Compac Super 2 1/2 scope would be ace... :cool

Scott and I are talking about doing a whole parts Kit, please raise your hand if you are interested in the whole kit... THanks Solo's Hold.

The price on parts is directly proportionate to how many numbers of each part I would make.

Ok guys, just got off the phone with Aaron (Solo's Hold)

The Grill estimates will come soon.

On the WHOLE KIT:

FIRST: Even figuring out the costs of this will take time and money on mine and Aaron's part. I need to ship him my prototype, and my SUPER RARE... super hard to find real GK scope to reverse engineer and work out a replica plan. I don't want to take a chance on losing that scope AT ALL, and I would be livid if it went missing.

So... there's going to be time on Aaron's part too. Lot's of time just figuring out if its viable and how. He says anything is possible to do, and he's right, but we need lots of people to spread the costs, and it aint gonna be cheap.

In fact... I think a Dark Energy Creations run 2 price is probably in the ball park for the kit. That Kit would have to only include the grill, mount, and replica scope. Meaning you'd have to source your own flash hider, and weaver rings for the version you want (screen of chronicles).

The weaver rings would be TOO EXPENSIVE to replicate due to their complexity, and you'd save a ton by just finding them online.

The Flash hider... I don't see a cheap or easy way to replicate that either. It's welding and stamped steel, Parkerized. The parkerizing alone would be expensive. Better off finding that part as well.

The Flash hider adapter would/should be included as it's simple. But then we have the issue of sizing it for Denix and MGC...

The scope replica would be pretty expensive to do, because it's much more complicated of a design compared to the Hensoldt Wetzlar 3x for the ANH hero. Plus, my scope is 99% accurate, so we'd have to get some outside help for the windage known screw placements for accuracy, as mine is a little different from the prop version. Otherwise mine is spot on.

I think we'd have to leave everything bare metal though, aside from the grill. The grill anodizing won't be cheap, but I think that part need to be anodized. The rest would need to be end user painted.

The scope however... painting that would probably suck, but the original finish is paint. So unless there's an overwhelming majority on wanting anodizing, the scope would have to be bare metal.

Make no mistake... we can do it... but it's gonna be a decent outlay, and we'll need lots of people on board.

If we could team with Bobadebt, or if he could offer his denix service, that would be great.

The only hold backs would be the weaver rings and the real Flash Hider.

Hey Aaron, Do you think the Flash hider is even possible???

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1949.jpg
    IMG_1949.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 82
I think that obtaining a real flash hider is a viable option for most people, you can buy them online at most gun auction sites, I even got mine off ebay. As for the flash hider adaptor, one clever solution is to make them like Michael did on his here: http://www.therpf.com/f79/han-solo-anh-greedo-killer-blaster-buildup-104079/ By cutting the four slots into it, you can use the original fastening mechanism to make it interchangeable between different bases. The replica scope I would imagine would be like DEC's Hensoldt scopes from run 1 and 2; see through, with glass lenses in both ends, but with no actual adjustment mechanism on any kind of sight enhancement magnification, like in a real scope. The only part that I would like anodized/painted/colored in any way would be the grill. The rest of the parts are painted anyways, excluding the flash hider, so I imagine that we could manage that by ourselves. The weaver rings I could manage myself too.
BTW, I didn't catch run 2 until JUST after it was over :facepalm, so I wasn't able to get any of the parts. What was the cost of run 2 parts? I imagine that it was expensive, but I just don't know what it was.

Sure... we could include the screw, and leave it up to everyone to add it on their guns in the end.

Vanitas, I've made them like this before too (the adapter). I think Delrin would be a good choice for the adapter as it would be even more flexible. Cheaper too for the simple part.

the flash hider could be done in Aluminum with tight tolerance. I would want to cut the slits in it prior to turning the cone.. the clamp is the tough part, I would want to have all the parts to reverse engineer. First thing is first. I will have the numbers worked up by morning on the grilles. I think if I do at least 30 grilles that should satisfy the masses cost wise.. It doesn't make much sense to make 10 or 6 or 13 . I am working on the grill ATM, racking the parts for anodizing will be a trick..

Sorry I have been busy finishing up other work, and had to deal with fixing the Falcon this weekend..

Solo's

Could all the parts be available separately? I already have a real flash hider that I could use, and I don't really want to buy extra things that I don't need.

Could all the parts be available separately? I already have a real flash hider that I could use, and I don't really want to buy extra things that I don't need.

I have a GK build going right now and have the proper flash hider, scope rings, the 12 fin anodized CE grill, and an inaccurate but close scope. Waiting on the scope mount and flash hider from Scottjua. If purchasing parts individually was an option, I'd consider the scope and grill. Either way, look forward to following this run!

Check out my build thread here!

http://www.therpf.com/f79/first-build-greedo-killer-accurized-denix-216859/

Ok guys, Aaron said cost for the grill will be $130 NOT anodized. If he makes 30 or 50 it's the same price. It's a lot of man hours and machine work to do these, plus it requires custom tooling to be made.

The ONLY way to make it less expensive is to do 1000, and I think you all know there's no way to justify that since he'd never sell that many to justify his time.

Just some Fyi on what goes into making a complicated part like this:

R&D time
Tooling Cost
CNC Operations setup/programming
Manning the machines as they cut along the program
Setting up EACH operation for multiple pieces
Clean up of EACH part

Two things remain... Anodizing costs... and the consideration of the M2 bolt. IF we include a drilled/milled M2 bolt placement hole that would help with it being easier to hang for anodizing, but would add an operation or two to make the grill.

Aaron was that estimate with that included???

So its many many hours into one single part. The Mount parts are considerably less complicated to make, but are numerous parts, so there's lots of time involved in those too.

Then a Scope... it's a complicated scope, and he hasn't even laid hands on one yet, but I can tell you by comparison to a Hensoldt the Compac Super is WAY more complicated. It will be expensive to replicate in its entirety.

So knowing this info so far...

Who's still in... and I mean... please soul search. We'd need REAL commitment before doing anything. If it comes down to people saying "I'm in" until the time comes to pony up and then everyone leaves Aaron hanging... that would not be cool at all. I'm not saying you have to pay up front, but please let's take it a step at a time and first think about whether you'd be happy paying for a custom accurate part at this price.

Aaron needs at least 30 or he aint doing diddly squat, and I'm backing him up on that. Too much time and effort for a bunch of maybe.

Then, let's talk about the other parts. Take into consideration that the scope will be $$.

Aaron says a Flash hider is possible... but not practical to make (correct me if wrong Aaron). It would cost exponentially more than finding a vintage part, so I don't see the worth. Same with the weaver rings.

The scope almost no one can find vintage, so a replica would rule of course.

Definitely I can understand wanting to have people stick around for a project like this, especially considering how much $ and effort will go into something like this. Still, I think that I should stick to this, especially since this will provided us with everything that we need for a proper GK.
If I had to pick, then specifically I would want just the mount, scope, flash hider adapter, and MAYBE an un-anodized grill, if I have enough $. I am still definitely in, though I very much hope that specific parts are available instead of just a kit. I do understand that it is still early in the project to ask something like this, but I'm only just trying to be clear from up front, as I don't want to cause any confusion or misunderstanding to anybody.
Still, I have 0 doubts that this run will be ace, and the parts will first-class. :D:thumbsup

Let me talk to Scott about these other parts , I dont see a big issue with a counter bore and a thru hole and including a screw..

Ultimately, I think a different run of parts would be fine, a kit would not change the cost of the parts as they are individually. But this really is not something I can take on if no one commits to them. its just not worth doing if not enough people want them. That is reality.

As far as making grills go, the run would get structured like most, but it being such a small part we can probably just make a checkout through my site, and it can walk through shipping. The other thing is on the grilles, I could get them done in a timely manner so from the time the run officially closed and production started it would not be a long wait..

We can figure it out. Solo

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back