Pocket Detail:
1256.jpg
Rear View:
1258.jpg
Side detail with pockets and holster pads:
1260.jpg

Full costume laid out:
1261.jpg

First off, I didn't make these myself. A colleague of mine's wife and sister-in-law are former cosplayers and excellent seamstresses. When i told my buddy about the pants, he said his wife and her sister might be able to help, and boy did they deliver. They were so focused on getting the details and proportions correct. So i pulled together a number of photos and reference shots to help them with their pattern making. I bought this pair of pants:

http://www.amazon.com/Dickies-Skinn...d=1406325110&sr=8-1&keywords=dickies+slim+fit

I chose these for the simplicity and the fit. All the photos i've seen of Star-lord, the pants are snug, like riding pants or motorcycle pants. So I wanted to avoid a pair of baggy cargo pants, keeping a slim figure was key. From there, we met up at a fabric store, and picked out fabric to make the details, then i put them on and they started marking me up with a fabric pencil for the details. From there, they took my pants and went to work.

You might be asking, why brown? Well, a few days into their work, i found this pic:

starlord-back2.jpg

The seamstress team was convinced that the pants weren't all black, but black and dark brown. I was a little nervous, but they were confident, and went back to the fabric store to find a new fabric. In the end, i think it was absolutely the right choice. Why? The red leather jacket. The jacket is such a statement on its own, that no matter how much detail you add to a pair of black pants, the jacket overshadows them all. But with the touches of brown, the pants come alive visually, and moves your eye down the costume. Once i add some dirt and dust to the pants, I think it will help the black/brown contrast to level out a little, but I'm so happy with how they turned out. Every detail is included, even the front pockets still function under the little button flaps they added on the hips. They also hemmed my tee-shirt, so it's the right length. I'm so excited with how this is all coming together!

1249.jpg

Last edited:
Re: GOTG: My own Star-Lord Build

I think what they are seeing as dark brown is a black waxed cotton canvas or oilcloth. It's used a lot in riding gear. They did an incredible job, though!

As for the holsters, I figured them out!

I blew this image way up, then colored in the clips for illustration purposes:

holsterillustration_zpsdeb6b7f1.jpg

Basically it's vertically clip that the crossbar of the grip snaps into. You can also see it here in this render:

IQoIu8g_zps0f991647.png

I'm going to see about getting this modeled for printing. Just wanted to share!

I think tension should work, I plan on printing slightly smaller than that bridge so it's a tighter fit

Here's a question for everyone: With the movie coming out this friday, I'm planning to dress in my Star Lord costume to the premiere. I'm sure some of you are planning to do the same. But i'm debating whether or not to bring the blasters. I'm really proud of how they turned out, but considering the recent gun violence at some theaters, and the fact that I know there are always cops posted at my favorite multiplex, I'm thinking I might leave the guns at home, or in the car. I don't want to be seen as a potential threat to cops, even though the blasters look nothing like real firearms, the fact that they're painted silver and black, have triggers and will be hanging off my hips like a cowboy makes me nervous.

I've heard of cosplayers being put on the ground, and their hand-crafted weapons thrown on the concrete. I want the attention for the costume, but I definitely don't want THAT kind of attention at the premiere.

Any thoughts? I'm fully planning to bring the blasters to DragonCon, but the theater? Don't taze me, bro!

I don't have a problem introducing myself to the cops...it's the moments before introducing myself with blasters on my hips that I'm worried about.

I suppose I could go in first without the blasters, talk to the cops, then ask if it's ok to go get them from my car after they understand im in costume.

Talk with the theater now. They will most likely be happy to have you there and may even ask you for photo ops. If they know you are coming in advance they jump around helping you as it is s promotion for them. This has bern yhe case I have had over the years with Trek movies.

Well, we have a local superhero club here in Minnesota. We do movie premieres for every movie. And we sure do bring fake guns to our theater. But, as stated above: it's established clearly from our previous relationship not only that we are harmless (unless you faint easily, in which case, ladies and gentlemen. please control yourselves), but I give itineraries of who to expect with information on what 'weapons' might be present. They work with the cops to clarify that we are appearing there in concert with them for promotional purposes and it's all on the up and up.

Although our local Joker is always VERY hesitant to go, understandably. One maniac can taint a thousand innocent people's pure intentions.

Thanks for the insight, Kix and Commodore. Does the movie theater do anything for you guys in exchange for your club showing up?

I think i'll give the theater manager a call tonight.

Well, we have a local superhero club here in Minnesota. We do movie premieres for every movie. And we sure do bring fake guns to our theater. But, as stated above: it's established clearly from our previous relationship not only that we are harmless (unless you faint easily, in which case, ladies and gentlemen. please control yourselves), but I give itineraries of who to expect with information on what 'weapons' might be present. They work with the cops to clarify that we are appearing there in concert with them for promotional purposes and it's all on the up and up.

Although our local Joker is always VERY hesitant to go, understandably. One maniac can taint a thousand innocent people's pure intentions.
I'm from MN too! What club is this? Where are you guys?

I'm from MN too! What club is this? Where are you guys?

Well, we're the MN Superheroes United (MNSU) and we're mostly in the Twin Cities area. I, for example, am in Bloomington. We do charity and community costuming, like an amateur-hour 501st Legion, and we're a pretty big hit locally. It's a lot of fun.

I'll give you the links to us and to me, in case you want to talk business with me one-on-one about it.

MNSU: https://www.facebook.com/mnsuperheroesunited
Me: https://www.facebook.com/bowie.sessions

Thanks for the insight, Kix and Commodore. Does the movie theater do anything for you guys in exchange for your club showing up?

I think i'll give the theater manager a call tonight.

YMMV, but yes. We get a good deal. Free tickets for our costumers and our non-costumed support, reserved seats and free concessions. We patrol (what we like to call walking around as superheroes!) the theater for 2-3 hours and pose for photos, all of that, then go on in. We do a lot more than just movie premieres, but it's one of the things we like to do.

Yes on bonuses sometimes. Like passes, table set up in the lobby for club recruiting. For Star Trek 5 and 6 the theaters gave me access to a display case for prop display. And both theaters had me setup Transporter. The sooner you start working with them the better it gets.

image.jpg

Just about ready for the premiere tomorrow. I called the theater and they're going to give me 4 free tix for showing up early for pics...Score!

Spats made by a leather worker on etsy. Rockets are secured directly to the spats with some screws and metal brackets. Pretty happy with how it's all coming together. :)

Pics from the premiere last night! I had alot of fun, got free tickets, and a friend brought his camera to get some shots of me with the fans.

DSC_0516.jpgDSC_0517.jpg
DSC_0519.jpgDSC_0523.jpg
DSC_0549.jpgDSC_0558.jpg
DSC_0560.jpg

A few more. The theater gave me 4 free tickets to the 3D IMAX show, and they reserved the best seats in the house so I could stay in the lobby for as long as I could and not get stuck in the front row. I had a lot of fun posing with fans, explaining all the costume pieces, and just hanging out. People were really nice, kids really liked the costume. Now on to DragonCon!

DSC_0562.jpg
DSC_0561.jpgDSC_0553.jpg
DSC_0563.jpgDSC_0567.jpg
DSC_0575.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0573.jpg
    DSC_0573.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 332
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back