"Gonk... Gonk... Gonk????" What's that you say?

Jet Beetle

Sr Member
Gone but not forgotten.
Okay, my kids are now watching Star Wars episode 4 everyday - my daughter (6) and my son (10) are mostly in love with the droids - especially Gonk. They think it's halarious that he repeats his name over and over again in the Sandcrawler - now here's my question to those on this board far more in the know of such things - My son (after multiple rewinds) swears that in the sandcrawler - Gonk actually says "Gonk...Gonk... Gonk lets see how far it takes me. Gonk"

I've listened to it and I can hear it too. Anyone know if there is any proper dialogue that goes with that scene? Or is it just gibberish
;

George Lucas said:
INTERIOR: SANDCRAWLER -- HOLD AREA.

It is dim inside the hold area of the Sandcrawler. Artoo
switches on a small floodlight on his forehead and stumbles
around the scrap heap. The narrow beam swings across rusty
metal rocket parts and an array of grotesquely twisted and
maimed astro-robots. He lets out a pathetic electronic whimper
and stumbles off toward what appears to be a door at the end
of the chamber.

INTERIOR: SANDCRAWLER -- PRISON AREA.

Artoo enters a wide room with a four-foot ceiling. In the
middle of the scrap heap sit a dozen or so robots of various
shapes and sizes. Some are engaged in electronic conversation,
while others simply mill about. A voice of recognition calls
out from the gloom.

THREEPIO: Artoo-Detoo! It's you! It's you!

These are the noise you're looking for...

I thought it said "Gonk...gonk....gonk.....kickin' in the front seat, sittin' in the back seat, which one should I take.....Gonk."

While we're talking about this scene, did anyone else ever notice how the CZ-1's expression and mannerisms are exactly like Gilda Radner's SNL character Colleen Fernman? (My best friend and I always called it the Gilda Radner droid.)

eu_sm.jpg

GiRa-ColleenFernman.jpg

Whoa. I played the backwards clip just loud enough so i can hear it, then my 3 yr old nephew (the other side of the room) wakes up for a second and whimpers and goes back to sleep hahaha

As an aside, my son's best friend - his stuffed Panda - is named Gonk and speaks gonk.

gonk, gonk, gonk.

And yes - that's from early exposure to Star Wars. He loves the Jawa scenes.

I found something on Blue Harvest that has the "actual" line:

"Gonk...gonk gonkestia kohje."

Not sure where they got that spelling. Couldn't find it in any of the scripts. But a google search does produce a lot of hits :)

It sounds Huttese...

"Gonk...gonk gonkestia kohje."

Not sure where they got that spelling. Couldn't find it in any of the scripts. But a google search does produce a lot of hits :)

"Gonk...gonk gonkestia kohje."...

That's what it sounds like :lol

Ben Burtt used a lot of actual languages for the droids and aliens. He chose words that had a good sound, he didn't care what they actually said. The lines may be total gibberish to people who know the language. It's common for words from one language to sound like words from another language.

I'm sure the droid isn't really saying "gonk" either. I never heard it that way, it always sounded like "comb" or "comm" to me. I never heard any mention of gonk until I saw it on the RPF a few years ago :lol

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back