Golden Age Catwoman cowl - Attempting pattern on my own - Complete costume pics added

Bizarro Lois

Sr Member
My sister-in-law asked me to help her with this version of Catwoman.
1954: Catwoman in Batman #84.
She wants the cowl to be made from stretchy fabric, as opposed to leather or rubber. I'm using a styrofoam head to mark the basic shape, and eventually, a pattern. Does anyone have any tips, especially about where/how to attach the ears so they keep their shape and remain standing? I have an idea of how to get the basic hood shape, but could use some help on how to do the rest.

Last edited:
Re: Tips for Catwoman's cowl?

You should look into using buckram or a starched felt (Pellon makes some)for the ears. This design is similar enough to the Yvonne Craig Batgirl cowl that you may find some tips on the 1966 Batman Board

Re: Tips for Catwoman's cowl?

Thanks for the link and the buckram idea. For the pattern, I ended up connecting the dots made by my pins and drawing those lines directly on the styrofoam head.
catcowlwip1.jpg

catcowlwip2.jpg

Then, I started tracing what should be individual sections onto tissue paper. Right now, all I have cut out is the piece that covers the forehead and eyeholes. In some artwork, it's black.
catcowlwip3.jpg

Here are pictures of a quick trial fitting:
catcowlwip4.jpg

catcowlwip5.jpg

catcowlwip6.jpg

I attempted pinning the ears for the first time. I tried a few different shapes, but I think these look the best so far.
catcowlwip8.jpg

catcowlwip9.jpg

I've had to do a lot of messing with the pattern. I was trying to incorporate the ears directly into the hood sections, but it just didn't work.
catcowlwip12.jpg

catcowlwip11.jpg

catcowlwip10.jpg

I ended up redoing the front piece to make the inner edges of the eyeholes wider, and took some pictures of how I assembled it. I also added a little bit of wire around the nose to make it fit better. I probably could have used more, but I was afraid of making it too bulky.
catcowlwip13.jpg

catcowlwip15.jpg

catcowlwip16.jpg

All of the basic hood parts are stitched together. I have to sew the ears, hem the bottom, and add a snap at the throat.
catcowlwip17.jpg

Here's a view of the ears. I had limited time/resources, so I just cut triangles of upholstery foam, and covered them with fabric. There's a little bit of curve to the ears, but when I tried to make it too distinct, they wouldn't lay right.
catcowlwip19.jpg

And the finished cowl, hemmed and with a snap at the throat. It's a terrible picture of me wearing it, so maybe I'll get a better one later.
catcowlcomplete-1.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Tips for Catwoman's cowl? Attempting the pattern on my own. See pics.

I'm seeing those ears as having a good depth to them, perhaps 1/2" at the thickest, with a hollow in the "ear hole." Couldn't you simply cut them out of upholstery foam from JoAnn fabrics stuff them in the ear and maybe even glue the fabric onto the foam core to create that look? Depending upon how involved you want to make it to get the shape in the comic reference, you could sculpt the ears, mold, and cast in a 2-part soft foam, such as FlexFoam-iT.

I like the upholstery foam idea. It would give me the shape and thickness, but shouldn't be heavy enough to pull the ears down.

Added pics to the third post. I cut out the pieces from scrap fabric and pinned them together for a quick fitting. Next I'll start experimenting with the ears and how I want to sew the eyeholes.

Last edited:

Added more pics. I'm not sure if I want the ears to be separate pieces or part of the section they'd be attached to. I'll probably try stitching the whole thing together and see what works better. In the pictures I posted, they're just stuffed with tissue paper. I will probably use upholstery foam or something similar.

Re: Tips for Golden Age Catwoman's cowl? Attempting the pattern on my own. See pics

I finally got a pattern that fits the way I want it to. A few things, after my sister-in-law tries this on tonight, I'll probably be redoing the eyeholes. I either need to make them closer together or make the holes bigger on the inner edge. Just putting this on for a few pictures and having fabric that close to my eyes drove me nuts, even though it doesn't really affect my vision.

Re: Tips for Golden Age Catwoman's cowl? Attempting the pattern on my own. See pics

Lookin' good thus far! This costume is on my list of "must-do's"!

I fixed the problem with the eyeholes and sewed the pieces together. Added pics.

I would recommend looking in to fosshape for the ears. It's a foam you can sew, heat and mould.

Fosshape

Re: Golden Age Catwoman cowl - Attempting pattern on my own - Complete 4/15

Updated with pictures of the finished cowl. I'll photos of the complete costume once it's done.

I would recommend looking in to fosshape for the ears. It's a foam you can sew, heat and mould.

Fosshape

Oh, and thanks for the recommendation. I didn't have to chance to look into that, but I'll keep it in mind for the next time I need something with ears like this. Looks like a good option.

The costume turned out great! I got plenty of pics and will post some when I get home and upload them.

Here are some of my favorites!
(Yes, I know it's not the real TV Batmobile)
011.jpg

012.jpg

DSC00613.jpg

DSC00623.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back