Glue, Velcro, leather straps?

oneuglymf

I've been searching the forums and huntorials and I see different methods of attaching the armour. Could anyone provide their opinions on which method is best (based on experience would of course)

I'm leaning towards velcro patches glued on to the skin and then attaching the armour, I just want to be certain it holds fast and wont peel off should I brush by someone.

Thanks kindly in advance for any advice and help that you can offer.

Simon

industrial velcro. you might need to fix armour in the future. just my 2 cents.

Thanks doode. I figured Velcro would be easiest and minimize damagine my Mr. I suit. I'm betting on spot repairs, based on the past 2 yrs experience. I have a repair kit all set up. but Velcro is the best eh?

Any other members care to offer a different opinion or confirm this is the best way?

I use a combination of Velcrow patchs super glued. THEN i sew around the four corners of the velcrow. On both items.

Also if you goto your local arts crafts store in the sewing Aisle they have Snap Button kits. You buy the two parts. The rivets and the snap. Then there is a small metail cylinder tool you use to hit with a hammer. The hammer hit pounds the button parts together. Hard to explain if you have never done it.

I can take a pic of all the parts and how they look and work if you need.

I use a combination of Velcrow patchs super glued. THEN i sew around the four corners of the velcrow. On both items.

Also if you goto your local arts crafts store in the sewing Aisle they have Snap Button kits. You buy the two parts. The rivets and the snap. Then there is a small metail cylinder tool you use to hit with a hammer. The hammer hit pounds the button parts together. Hard to explain if you have never done it.

I can take a pic of all the parts and how they look and work if you need.

thanks Gene. If you don't mind snapping a couple of pics, it would be greatly appreciated.

Simon

For most of the armor, I use rare earth magnets. That way I can reconfigure different armor ideas without marring the skin

59fc9ff2.jpg

Here is what I was talking about.

thanks George. I haven't had much luck with rare earth magnets. Tried them with my latex mask /bio combo and they were poor at best.

Thanks Gene. I'll keep that idea in the front runners of choices.

I just tried velcro on my spandex suit... wow.

Like, 2 minutes later after my body heat got to it, they all started to peel off. So awesome.

So, Gene... lemme get this straight:

The buttons can fix themselves onto the fabric after applying them of course, and stay there?

I mean... I'm in a quandary here

thanks George. I haven't had much luck with rare earth magnets. Tried them with my latex mask /bio combo and they were poor at best.

Thanks Gene. I'll keep that idea in the front runners of choices.

Really? ..what size magnets are you using? ..the ones Ive installed take quite a bit of pressure to separate them

Really? ..what size magnets are you using? ..the ones Ive installed take quite a bit of pressure to separate them

I think the are 3.5mm or 5mm. I can't remember truly. They are damn near impossible to separate when no substance is between them. this was with the mander mask you sold me a while back, I cut into the foam, and placed the magnest as close to the surface of the mask as possible. the hez bio helmet had the magnets glued into position, and the hold was extremely weak at best. I didn't trust it for a second with my investments. I ended up using a piece of leather to hold the bio in place over my mask. it went around my dreads, almost like a hairband. UGH!

That could be it ..the head to bio configuration is the trickiest. The head needs to be installed first ..when the foam is already in, placement of its magnet are more random. I lay my bio over the mask to judge basically where the fins of the bio lay closest to the crown of the head. I usually use the ridges above the dread holes as visual markers. Then I use an exacto blade to make about a half inch incision in the foam inside the mask. I tear the rest away with my fingers making a slit all the way to the latex. I then pull the foam away from the latex a bit again with my fingers, giving the magnets a "cradle" to sit into. I slip them in and have them sit flush against the inside of the crown. I re-seal the holes in the foam with some hot glue. Now I take my corresponding pair of magnets and place them on the outside of the mask..the will stick firmly to where the other magnet is hidden underneath. I then mark the positive and negative sides of the magnets with a sharpie so I know which side to glue down. I place my bio over them and trace with a sharpie where the need to be exactly attached inside the helmet. I then glue them in using a CA glue and hot kicker..after that I further secure the bond with more hot glue ...works like a charm. Your problem seems to be that you tried to install them into the head to line them up with already installed Bio magnets ..you kinda worked backwards. It harder to line them from bio first to head rather then other way around.
With armor this is way easier to line up ..after gluing the magnets into place on the skins...I back it with glued in leather or sued for extra support ..

tried the velcro once again. No go!

I just ordered industrial magnets with a pull force off 11 lbs. they're about the size of a quarter.

I'm just going to hot glue them to the armor, then place the other pices in under the suit.

This is all I could think of! blah.... so $36 later after shipping.... eeeeew

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back