Gladiator - Maximus Carthage Armor WIP *PIC Heavy*

Gator Fett

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been wanting to make this costume for a long time, and I really got inspired by Apelords work earlier this year. I am going to attempt to use the Cuir Bouilli or wet forming method that Apelord mentioned in his work. I have no where near the experience or tallent, but I am going to give it a shot. :)

attachment.php

I wanted to do a torso body cast and use that to make a mold for the chest and back armor, but as the year went by I never got around to making that happen, so now I'm running out of time and I'll have to make a few short cuts. I ended up making a duct tape dummy torso, which I filled with expanding foam, to use a the base for sizing the armor.

Once I had the torso, I took a scrap piece of canvas I had laying around, placed it over the dummy, and outlined the shape of the armor using reference pictures. With the outline of the armor on the canvas I printed out the chest horses, tree and griffins to scale and tweeked the size of the chest to fit both my size and the scale of the pieces. Once I had what I liked I cut out the canvas chest piece.

attachment.php

I repeated the sizing for the back armor and cut out the canvas. I fit the chest and back pieces over the dummy and checked again for sizing. I tried in on also and I was happy with the fit. I'll be making the sided and shoulder straps a little long, then can trim them up once I have the armor formed.

attachment.php

I then cut the back piece out of 7oz vegitable tanned leather and soaked it in hot water till the leather was like a wet rag. Since I was not able to make the molds this time around, I used a plastic manequin that has nice muscle definition to use as the base for wet forming.

attachment.php

The back piece is drying right now, so I am crossing my fingers that is turns out ok tomorrow. If it goes well, I'll move on to the chest piece. If not ... :cry

Gator

Last edited:
Re: Gladiator - Maximus Carthage Armor WIP

How ur going to make the horses design ?

I plan on carving them in clay, molding then casting each piece for the chest armor.

Which brings me to my latest update.

Got the chest piece drying on the dummy. I should be able to tweek the fit of the chest and back tomorrow, then start puting on the finished leather on the base leather.

attachment.php

Also made some progress on the chest pieces. I Have the tree finished, and am working on the horses.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice carving work, man!
I would love to try out making some armour one day I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread to pick up a few pointers!

Very cool project and good work so far. I look forward to seeing this one.

Gator Fett this some awesome craftsmanship nice sculpting on th' tree an horse i can't wait ta see this finished!!!! i look forward ta seein th' updates subcribed.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I have the cuirass just about finished. I took the back and chest off of the mold.

attachment.php

Then I covered the base formed leather with a finish grade leather that had a nice grain and was already dyed black. I used a leather glue which was a little like rubber cement. Applied glue to the base leather and the under side of the finish leather. Let the glue get a little tacky, then stick the two piecs together.

Once I got the front and back covered, I used plastic car door trim for the edges as Apelord suggested in his build. Stuff was a pain to get on, but it looks good and does the trick.

attachment.php

Next was connecting the two pieces at the shoulders and adding the four buckles and straps. For the shoulder straps I cut strips out of the 7 oz. leather that I used for the base. For the buckles and straps I cut strips out of some left over 4 oz. leather I had from another project. Once cut, I dyed all the lether black, then rivited to the armor. Took a little longer than I expected, but the base is done.

attachment.php

Still have to do the shoulder strap, 3 purteges, wrist gauntlet and hand wrap out of leather. For now it's back to carving the chest pieces.

Gator Fett , when ya were fitting th' leather to th' front an back pieces did ya have ta wet th' leather it order ta fit it better / or was it thin enough ta work /w/ ?

Gator Fett , when ya were fitting th' leather to th' front an back pieces did ya have ta wet th' leather it order ta fit it better / or was it thin enough ta work /w/ ?

Yes, I wet formed the leather for the front and back pieces. I am working with realatively thick (7 oz.) and thin (4 oz.) vegatable tanned leather, and regardless of thickness leather has to be wet formed to hold a shape.

that is what i was thinkin i used ta work /w/ leather when i was a teenager i love th' results that ya gettin from this build bra keep up th' good work!!!!

I have a pepakura file of the maximus helmet. PM me with an e mails adress and i will send it to you.

I have a helmet already, but thanks for the offer.

I have been neglect in making updates to this thread since I was working to get this finished for a costume party on Saturday. I was not able to get it all done, but I did get it wearable and it was a fun costme for the party. I will get back on track with some updates as I finish it up for display.

I got the horses carved, molded and cast along with the tree. Here are Argento and Scarto about to go under silicone.

attachment.php

I knew I was not going to have time to do the details on the purteges this time around, so I checked out Joann's and found some buttons that were about the right size, color and detail. I just attached them with hot glue, so I can upgrade them down the road.

attachment.php

I was able to get the right shoulder strap made and attached. I have to make the whole left shoulder armor. Couldn't even get that one started.

attachment.php

Here is the armor with the tree and horses painted and attached, along with the chain mail for the front.

attachment.php

Still a long list of items to finish up, but will keep the updates coming as I move along.

Gator

I have a helmet already, but thanks for the offer.

I have been neglect in making updates to this thread since I was working to get this finished for a costume party on Saturday. I was not able to get it all done, but I did get it wearable and it was a fun costme for the party. I will get back on track with some updates as I finish it up for display.

I got the horses carved, molded and cast along with the tree. Here are Argento and Scarto about to go under silicone.

attachment.php

I knew I was not going to have time to do the details on the purteges this time around, so I checked out Joann's and found some buttons that were about the right size, color and detail. I just attached them with hot glue, so I can upgrade them down the road.

attachment.php

I was able to get the right shoulder strap made and attached. I have to make the whole left shoulder armor. Couldn't even get that one started.

attachment.php

Here is the armor with the tree and horses painted and attached, along with the chain mail for the front.

attachment.php

Still a long list of items to finish up, but will keep the updates coming as I move along.

Gator

Gator, this is a tremendous undertaking it's lookin good keep up th' good work bra.

A Hero Shall Rise ... and so shall this old thread.

I made a push to get this wearable for last Halloween and I was able to wear it to a few parties, but it has sat half finished since then with work and other projects taking priority.

With some spare time this summer, I've been able to make some progress on the remaining chest and shoulder sculps. My goal is to get this finished for display.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Another slow moving update.

I got the griffons painted and applied to the curias. The whole thing needs to be weatherd, but I am very happy with how it is coming together.

attachment.php

Moving on to the shoulder pauldren. Over the winter I made a few attemps to form and sculpt my own shoulder pauldren using card stock like ob1al did in his Gladiator Thread. I could not get the card stock to a shape I was happy with, so I got some plaster bandages and tried that route. Still no luck.

As I said at the beginning of this thread I was inspired by Apelords work on a Gladiator Armor Commission for marsattack, so I contacted Tim to inquire about getting one of his shoulder pauldrens. The shape was exactly what I wanted for my suit and the piece for mars looked fantastic finished. What I did not know from the mars thread was that Apelord maked the pauldren from hammered aluminum. :love I thought it was a cast piece. Having it be a hand worked piece was over the top awesome for me. Thanks Tim. :thumbsup

Here are a few shots of the shoulder pauldren as I test fit the pauldren on my curias and test fit the details on the pauldren.

attachment.php

attachment.php

It's been awhile, but I am still plugging away at finishing this up.

Got the shoulder pauldren ready to be attached to the curias.

gladiator-maximus-carthage-armor-wip-pic-heavy-gator-armor-28.jpg-153159d1364831378

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back