GhostMinion's Fallout 3d Models and Props

Thanks guys!

Alright, let's talk Nuka Nukes. Those who have played Nuka World have likely seen the added variant of the Mini Nuke called the Nuka Nuke. On the surface, it looks almost perfectly identical with the exception of the glowing blue band, and a different paint job. Originally my plan was to use the molds I have already to make a Nuka Nuke. However, after further inspection, some of the details in the texture are slightly different. Some are kinda up for debate here, too. Read below and you'll see what I mean.

Here's a basic comparison. From this pic, you can see the Nuka Nuke is a lower poly model than the Mini Nuke. We'll get more to that down the post.

nuke%20compare%201_zps4uqxsoxi.png
[/URL][/IMG]

And here are the main differences in the textures. Regardless of why they changed, whether it be a simple mistake or an intentional change, it did clearly change. Note how the two bands/ribs under the red nose of the Mini Nuke are changed on the Nuka Nuke to one band/rib. And how the lower band became wider.

nuke%20compare%202_zpsnuo05akc.png
[/URL][/IMG]

nuke%20compare%203_zpsn2mzlntt.png
[/URL][/IMG]

And there's even another "change" that actually has an explanation. You can see in the pictures below that there was in fact a lower resolution Mini Nuke in the game files. Has a much lower quality texture, and the model is the same lower poly model used for the Nuka Nuke. Now, I have no idea if/where they use this model and texture, possibly the nuke that's loaded into the Fatman. Every Nuke I've ever seen was the higher poly model (oh yeah, I look). You'll see in the lower poly version that every other side of the lower ring has two screws instead of four, and they are centered. Yet, in the high poly version there are four on each side. This was likely a mistake, or as I said earlier, it's the one they use for the nuke loaded into the Fatman, and the simpler texture/model help keep the number of faces down for the Fatman weapon as a whole. You probably wouldn't (or didn't) notice this with the nuke in the weapon, especially with that bracket thingy that holds the nuke in place.

nuke%20compare%204_zpsya0tx7tr.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Anyhow, as you can see, they applied the same texture to the Nuka Nuke's bottom ring, and just recolored it silver. So the unseen mistake of the Mini Nuke is clearly shown on the Nuka Nuke. Again, no way to know if it was done intentionally, or by accident. There is, for some reason, no higher poly version of the Nuka Nuke. Just the one version in the game files. It's the only version you'll see, you can even notice the lower poly when inspecting the item. Now............the question is, do we consider this "screen accurate" and change it, or ignore it as a mistake from reusing crappy model and texture files? In all honesty, I'm considering doing one of each. One with the different screw array like seen on the Nuka Nuke, and one with the regular screw count set up (basically the parts I already have from the Mini Nuke build) like seen on the standard.

nuke%20compare%205_zpsnjyjy4fm.png
[/URL][/IMG]

So, anyways, I made the changes on my 3d model. The idea is to cast the glowing part with Ignite colorants in Smooth Cast 326. The rest will be ONYX. The halves will be set up so they can be taken apart, so electronics can be installed and maintained, as well as batteries. I'll either drill a hole for the on/off button, or I may use a magnetic switch (don't know much about them). At the very bottom you can see a test cast done on the Mini Nuke mold, using the ignite colorant.

nuke%20model%20update_zpst2dk0m2k.png
[/URL][/IMG]

nuka%20nuke%20assembly%202_zpsdjbhezwv.png
[/URL][/IMG]

nuka%20nuke%20assembly%201_zpsfufdmcpc.png
[/URL][/IMG]

nuka%20nuke%20head%201_zpsjqkaj9fm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thoughts?

I would call them identical other than the glowing band. I don't know why they would intend them to be different when the Nuka Nuke was supposed to be a modified Mini Nuke with Quantum added to it to boost the yield.

I would call them identical other than the glowing band. I don't know why they would intend them to be different when the Nuka Nuke was supposed to be a modified Mini Nuke with Quantum added to it to boost the yield.

Oh Jason, I think we both know my OCD won't allow me to do that! :lol

But yeah, in all honesty I doubt they meant to do it. They probably drew it on how it looked on the Mini Nuke, but didn't get every tiny little measurement right. Still, it's how it looks. I can't say 100 percent game accurate unless I change it. I needed to redesign for the electronics anyways.

Maybe the nuka nuke is a model from Fallout 3 they grabbed lol. Makes me want to get another mininuke game collection and mod it but man it already takes up too much space. I love that glow though.

Oh Jason, I think we both know my OCD won't allow me to do that! :lol

But yeah, in all honesty I doubt they meant to do it. They probably drew it on how it looked on the Mini Nuke, but didn't get every tiny little measurement right. Still, it's how it looks. I can't say 100 percent game accurate unless I change it. I needed to redesign for the electronics anyways.

Well part of me was thinking that way too, but I thought maybe you'd want to save costs on making another mold! :lol

Well part of me was thinking that way too, but I thought maybe you'd want to save costs on making another mold! :lol

Yeah, I gotta make new molds anyways. The ones I have are worn out. Two of which pretty badly. Plus, I've had zero success trying to layer cast it the way I did on that test piece (the glowing one). I've already wasted too much material trying to get it right, better off re designing it specifically for the band to glow, by making it a separate part. Plus, the old design has no way to open the nuke back up again for electronics/batteries. The two halves would just get fused together with JB Weld. I needed to redesign it so they can be taken apart and reassembled for battery swaps, and now the big screws on the lower teir will fasten the two halves together.

Not too worried about the cost. I made the costs back pretty quickly on the regular nukes. I'm expecting to do the same with these. Long story short, though, I just can't let it go after seeing the test part glow so well. It's gonna look so awesome and I just gotta do it.

Hey guys, wanted to let everybody know I've started a thread in the Project Runs section for Jet Inhaler kits. Check it out if you're interested. :thumbsup

jet%20kit%201_zpsvx3nyscx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Don't the slaves got them too in fallout4?

Yup, in Nuka World. It's the same model and texture from FO3/NV. The only difference is in New Vegas, the red thingy isn't a light, it's a speaker. In Dead Money, Elijah talks to you through the slave collar. In FO4, it's a light, and it pulses. I don't remember if it illuminates in FO3, but I don't think so.

Might be a good project to revisit.................

Yup, in Nuka World. It's the same model and texture from FO3/NV. The only difference is in New Vegas, the red thingy isn't a light, it's a speaker. In Dead Money, Elijah talks to you through the slave collar. In FO4, it's a light, and it pulses. I don't remember if it illuminates in FO3, but I don't think so.

Might be a good project to revisit.................

Yup, I'd love to have one of these too haha

Alright, a little bit of the same with a different twist.

Did a Jet Inhaler with a clear red canister, like they were in New Vegas. Nothing about their look in FO4 makes me think they are clear, but what the hell right? I think it turned out pretty good.

jet%20v2%20a_zpsjhpl7kr4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

jet%20v2%20b_zps7hmkyiz1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

jet%20v2%20v1%20compare_zpssg1uhwyo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back