GHOSTBUSTERS: Medrad Mark IV Angio Injector AKA orange device in Venkman's office

vengecore

So Ive recently changed jobs. Some of you may remember that I worked in the Airsoft industry. Obviously having a job like that lends itself to being a great place for prop collector. Well I work in the Preowned Medical Equipment Field now which is needless to say, a bit less awesome.

Anyway, we have a lot of dinosaurs come through our warehouse from time to time and some of this stuff looks perfect for medical labs, secret lairs and Pseudo scientific psychologist offices.

As a kid i always wanted to know that the hell that orange thing in Peter Venkman's office was. you can also see it later when they get expelled, as the coolest dude on campus wheels it out of the room whilst jamming to his Walkman.

It turns out that this thing is the console from a MEDRAD MARK IV Angiographic Injector.

ghostbust.36h.gif

We dont have a Mark IV here but we do have a MARK V which is different but has similar markings that i recognized.

Its kinda neat as this device is used to inject ink into your brain, or other venous organ, that can been seen through imaging equipment like an MRI or XRAY. so It actually make since that a Psychologist could use it in some aspect.

I often joke with my wife that with my previous job I had learned so much about the guns of the world that I could identify most screen used firearms. It appears now, with my new occupation, I may be calling out the medical gear in the movies and TV shows we watch. I dont think she really cares :p

Considering the length that RPF members go to in order to recreate movie sets and collect and replicate props, this may be useful for someone looking to collect Ghostbusters stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info man, really cool to know that. Now everytime I see Ghostbusters I will know it injects ink into the brain...like a Rorschach test...for real. LOL Cool stuff!

Thanks for the info man, really cool to know that. Now everytime I see Ghostbusters I will know it injects ink into the brain...like a Rorschach test...for real. LOL Cool stuff!

Sure i was eager to share the info!

There are few other things in the movie that would be neat to ID. When Egon is evaluating Vince Clortho there are variety of devices that are being "used" onscreen.

Nice find! I always wondered about that thing since it looked like something off the set of SPACE:1999 or Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.

Nice find. I linked this thread over at GBFans.com's community pages.

And of course, I went looking for one on eBay, but don't have $750 to throw at it.

Alex

Now that I know what I'm looking at, I noticed the Medrad in the foreground of an earlier shot in the film.

1223_330106817102888_1106502822_n.jpg

By the way vengecore, any idea what the make and model of this 'AVL electrolyte analyzer' is, in the same lab?

295313_262485127198391_172834864_n.jpg

292402_262485137198390_1476268138_n.jpg

65172_330109633769273_1032203651_n.jpg

542113_330109760435927_82936765_n.jpg

Alex

Last edited:
Oh wow thanks for the screens. I was wondering what that device was too.

Unfortunately we probably wont find any info online unless someone has it for sale and I cant find any.

It does look like it has a model number following "AVL ELECTROLYTE ANALYZER" but its just too out of focus to tell what it says in these screens.

Yeah, I browsed a few search engines but I didn't find any examples of 'AVL electrolyte analyzers' that matched this older shape.

734804_330830253697211_505548285_n.jpg

I cobbled this together from a couple of different frames.

Alex

Yeah, I browsed a few search engines but I didn't find any examples of 'AVL electrolyte analyzers' that matched this older shape.

734804_330830253697211_505548285_n.jpg

Alex[/QUOTE

It reminds me of a desk top copier, or photo printer. You can see where the paper would feed from the bottom.

David.

Alex[/QUOTE

It reminds me of a desk top copier, or photo printer. You can see where the paper would feed from the bottom.

David.

Back before display screens, devices like this presented the data by printing, like a polygraph. its probably from the 70s like the medrad.

Last edited:
Hey, I was watching one of the bonus features from Looney Tunes: Back in Action today, and spotted set designer Bill Brzeski gesturing to this piece of familiar-looking equipment!

601188_340527279394175_904295926_n.jpg

734423_340522162728020_1157793088_n.jpg

So I cued up the movie to the 'Area 52' scenes, and sure enough, there it was lurking at the edge of a few quick shots.

554432_340522176061352_2050207811_n.jpg

Alex

Hey, I was watching one of the bonus features from Looney Tunes: Back in Action today, and spotted set designer Bill Brzeski gesturing to this piece of familiar-looking equipment!

So I cued up the movie to the 'Area 52' scenes, and sure enough, there it was lurking at the edge of a few quick shots.

Alex

Wow, now that's an odd find! I would have never thought that one of these would turn up in another flick. it looks like this one is complete on the set compared the GB unit. You can see the actual orange injector arm just behind the console in the movie screen.

Do they actually talk about it in the feature since it looks like its was functional.

Ive never seen this film, is that a Dalek back there too?

Last edited:
No, he doesn't really do much more than put his hand on it in passing.

Yes, according to the imdb, when they approached Steve Martin about the role of the villain, he read the script and said he would be in the movie on one condition: that among the other recognizable film aliens in this scene (Metaluna Mutant, Robot Monster, etc.) a dalek also be included.

They happily included two.

Funnily enough, Steve's character isn't even in that scene, so it must've been something he just really wanted to see.

Alex

Well thanks for the Share!

I can understand why this thing is in GB, as I'm sure this model was still in medical use in the 80s. but the early 2000's? it must have just been around and they thought it looked neat. The orange does seem to match the handrails. :p

i feel like we are sinking down the rabbit hole with this thing. where else is gonna turn up?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back