Ghostbusters flight suit for 5 year old

venkman86

Hi,
I’m looking to create a ghostbusters flight suit for my 5 year old niece. I’ve purchased a khaki rothco flightsuit since that was the best budget friendly and in youth sizes. Even with a youth size small it’s about 7 inches too Long! The rotchco suits are more of a yellow color and I’m hoping someone could share some advice on dyeing this to the correct gb1 style khaki (anyone try the RIT Taupe?). Lastly, I’m stuck on what to do for elbow pads as it’s pretty difficult to find any that would fit her small arms. Any help here is appreciated!

Not a super helpful answer, but GBFans may be a good bet for more of the info you're looking for! Best of luck !

I recently picked up the Rothco in Small for my 4 year old, it fits him well enough, but then we are a tall family. A little long but the suit is supposed to be a bit baggy. I didn't notice the color being particularly off from Khaki either, a different batch perhaps? Anyway, for elbow pads I was just going to cut up a couple gray socks. Close enough for a kids costume.

If it is 7" too long, can you cut some of the excess length out of the legs and make fabric swatches to do dye tests? That is what I did when i needed a specific shade of orange velcro, RIT dye + swatches. Keep a timer going so you know how long the swatches were in the dye, and mark them (or you could mark them before dye, and make a key to what came out when). Wash and dry the swatches to see what looks best and then you should be able to get reasonably repeatable results with the garment. Just be sure you make the full batch of dye for the garment you are going to be dying when you do your swatches so you have the same dye lot for the swatches and garment.

I'd be surprised you aren't able to find sports safety equipment for a 5 year old.
Maybe repurpose velcro-adjust foam kneepads and cut them to size?
All else fails, you could glue/sew a small round silicone trivet to some 2"-wide black velcro or elastic.

But honestly, my concern is more for how awkward a full-body flight suit would be for a small child who (generally) needs the bathroom more than adults do.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back