Ghostbusters: Afterlife

I thought it was good. Sure, I have some nit picks, but when don't folks like us always have them? Overall, I felt like it had soul and its heart was in the right place. I'll probably go see it again in Imax and I will definitely own a copy and re-watch it in the future.

The hardest part for me was that our Dog was named Gozer, and she passed from a super aggressive Cancer just over a month ago at only six years old. So, some plot points
Like Gozer themselves being in the film, and a large part, along with Egon's spirit helping and supporting from beyond the grave, as well as the general theme of moving on and forward after loss
hit pretty hard and made me realize how much I miss Her and how raw the loss still is.

You see, though, it’s exactly this understanding of why the original is great that makes it so I enjoy the new one.

This sums up the crux of the movies shortcomings. Everything you love about Afterlife has to do with the original movie, not what little new material or characters were introduced and believe me there was not much new here. There's nothing wrong with that but it reinforces the idea that what makes this movie so beloved is not how fresh it is, but how well it brought back the original cast.

This was the problem Michael Arnt faced with developing TFA with Luke's presence overshadowing everything. No one is really starry eyed over the new characters. Everyone is just happy with how they brought back the original cast with respect. The new cast weren't so much characters but plot devices to bring the old gang back together.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing because ultimately, it was done with a lot of sincerity. I'm just saying that's the most honest way to approach it. Which is why I hope going forward they really develop the new cast better.

They were really close with this one and it showed far more potential than their predecessors in reinvigorating a franchise. Again I'm not faulting Afterlife or suggesting it was an awful movie. It was fine for what it was though from my perspective I don't feel it was as great as most here do. But that's just my take on it.

Last edited:
I thought it was good. Sure, I have some nit picks, but when don't folks like us always have them? Overall, I felt like it had soul and its heart was in the right place. I'll probably go see it again in Imax and I will definitely own a copy and re-watch it in the future.

The hardest part for me was that our Dog was named Gozer, and she passed from a super aggressive Cancer just over a month ago at only six years old. So, some plot points
Like Gozer themselves being in the film, and a large part, along with Egon's spirit helping and supporting from beyond the grave, as well as the general theme of moving on and forward after loss
hit pretty hard and made me realize how much I miss Her and how raw the loss still is.
So sorry to hear man… 6 years isn’t very long.. sorry for your loss

This sums up the crux of the movies shortcomings. Everything you love about Afterlife has to do with the original movie, not what little new material or characters were introduced and believe me there was not much new here. There's nothing wrong with that but it reinforces the idea that what makes this movie so beloved is not how fresh it is, but how well it brought back the original cast.

This was the problem Michael Arnt faced with developing TFA with Luke's presence overshadowing everything. No one is really starry eyed over the new characters. Everyone is just happy with how they brought back the original cast with respect. The new cast weren't so much characters but plot devices to bring the old gang back together.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing because ultimately, it was done with a lot of sincerity. I'm just saying that's the most honest way to approach it. Which is why I hope going forward they really develop the new cast better.

They were really close with this one and it showed far more potential than their predecessors in reinvigorating a franchise. Again I'm not faulting Afterlife or suggesting it was an awful movie. It was fine for what it was though from my perspective I don't feel it was as great as most here do. But that's just my take on it.
I guess my point is, as much as I like the original Ghostbusters, I don’t really care enough to get upset about the flaws of Afterlife. I didn’t grow up with any of the toys or show or anything. My first introduction to Ghostbusters was actually in the movie Be Kind Rewind, so I don’t have any warm fuzzy memories of watching it from a very young age. Maybe it’s unfair of me to be saying Afterlife is entertaining, since I don’t have that perspective, but I also don’t care enough to really fight anybody on whether the film is good or not. If you liked it, great! If you didn’t, great!

Just as long as we all agree that 2016 was awful and the original probably won’t ever be matched.

A lot of people are saying the movie didnt introduce anything good or new, and that the characters were all rehashes or boring. But I really liked Phoebe and Podcast, and I think they hold their own apart from the nostalgia. We got an entirely new setting, tone, new tech, new twists on existing tech, etc. I think there's more there than people are noticing because of all the nostalgia that is also there.

Last edited:
I guess my point is, as much as I like the original Ghostbusters, I don’t really care enough to get upset about the flaws of Afterlife. I didn’t grow up with any of the toys or show or anything. My first introduction to Ghostbusters was actually in the movie Be Kind Rewind, so I don’t have any warm fuzzy memories of watching it from a very young age. Maybe it’s unfair of me to be saying Afterlife is entertaining, since I don’t have that perspective, but I also don’t care enough to really fight anybody on whether the film is good or not. If you liked it, great! If you didn’t, great!

Just as long as we all agree that 2016 was awful and the original probably won’t ever be matched.

I'm glad everyone loves this movie. Sincerely I am. I'm just offering my take on things and I think it goes without saying everyone is entitled to their perspective. I hope my post didn't come across as argumentative because that was certainly not my intention.

The 2016 movie was atrocious. Which is a shame because the cast was great and I love a lot of Paul Feig's work. That script or lack thereof was the problem.

For the record I don't think you should feel any type of hesitation in saying a movie entertained you. If something speaks to you then by all means enjoy it without shame. It makes me sad that you would suggest it may be "unfair" for you to be entertained by a movie. If I'm the reason you feel that way I apologize.

Last edited:
WARNING FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE!!!

The new HASBRO PULSE video for the Fan First Monday has a toy reveal near the end that is probably the biggest spoiler for the film. Just a heads up.

I saw it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was mad that We let after the first post credit scene not realizing there was a second one at the end. Was told about the content but want to go back and see it again just to catch that end post credit scene

Just watched the half in the bag video, boy do I have a lot more relief now. Watching that video is a mirror image of my experience and my thoughts

I do however think.. we will learn there is a lot more footage we have yet to see.

I have a gut feeling the ivo Shandor scene was heavily cut.. he had a whooping 12 seconds of screen time.. think there was a lot more going on with him

And the mini puffs… 100% believe that scene was a after thought once Sony saw disneys success with baby yoda

“How can we top this baby green frog?!? Bring in a mini puff!! Wait! A whole bag of mini puffs!! No even better THOUSANDS OF MINI PUFFs!!!!”

As I rip the best dr evil laugh lol

Glad I’m not the only one who left the theater like

4F7452C4-3A0C-4845-A079-F32EAA91EF70.gif

Throwing all of this behind a tag so people who don't want to know can gloss over. Psab keel and CB2001, some of what's in here you'd probably make something of...

To me, this was perfect. I have, for a long time, treated GB, GBII, and GB: TVG as "the trilogy". Each was tonally different in ways that have been dissected to death. GB was the quirky lightning-in-a-bottle phenom, as mentioned. GBII was perfectly meta. The novelty had worn off, the gang was trying to be relevant, there was character growth going on, and it ended up with them finding their direction. The video game capped it off nicely and, I feel, segues into Afterlife better than it gets credit for. Evo Shandor was ignored in GBII. The game brought in his granddaughter, and went into some of the other stuff he had done. I can totally see the backstory in Afterlife spinning off of that. Peter goes off to have a life with Dana. Ray and Winston try to keep the company going. Egon deep-delves into Shandor more and learns something that causes him to go off as he did.

Afterlife is a good title on many levels. It's the "afterlife" of the original films from the '80s and their legacy. It's the afterlife of Egon, who dies in the opening scene. It's the afterlife of the company from the original films. And a good interlude. The slow pace and no huge leaps make a nice -- as was said upthread -- palate cleanser. Not in the sense of getting a bad taste out of one's mouth, but to prepare one for the next course. The huge, obvious missing pieces I am hoping will be gone into in a potential future offering. This was a gamble, and it needed to work as a standalone story, and I feel it does -- serving as a poignant eulogy for both Egon and Harold, and also commemorating the Ghostbuster feel from before 2016. But it sets up many ways it could go from here. Ray and Winston have Ecto-I back. I think Ray never realized how much Winston had been doing. He must have seen something to make him think the firehouse was now a Starbucks, even though we see it wasn't. Maybe next door? Maybe a front Winston had put on to protect the building from unwanted attention, given what's in the basement?

I am hoping that we see more of Janine in a potential sequel, and that she's with Lewis, and that he's still part of the Ghostbuster family -- as we saw by the end of GBII -- just having also faded back from it into mundanity over the years. I want to see a jumpsuit in his closet with a "TULLY" nametag. I feel Rick would come back for that, even having stopped acting-as-job. I would also love to see Alyssa Milano come back as Shandor's granddaughter, after the events in Afterlife. I want the question of Egon's baby-momma answered. That's too glaring a hole to leave. His daughter obviously wasn't an orphan, and her mother was obviously keeping Egon in the loop. I actually like the fact that Gozer came back. They weren't destroyed in GB, just the gateway. This also leads to the question of: How do you keep a god trapped? I figure they've got more oomph than ghosts and demons. The more I've sat with it after seeing it, the more I feel Afterlife was meant to resonate the original storyline and prepare for a new one. In a way I did not feel with The Force Awakens.

I watched the HITB review: as much as they complained about it, I'm still down to see it when it's streaming.
If it's nostalgia bait them I'm a rat. :cool:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back