Ghostbusters: Afterlife

The real question I'd like to know is if the Ghostbusters: The Video Game canon or not. I mean, it's stated that there hasn't been a ghost sighting in 30 years, and since the film released this year, 30 years ago is 1991, the year the game is set. Not to mention, the Mattel Spiengler Wand (made to tie-in with this film) features the alternate fire modes from the game.
I don’t think that’s a possibility anymore

It's a reboot big surprise that there are some fairly obvious faults but I had such a fun time! So much fun that I'm going to see it again tomorrow lol. I recognized many of the issues brought up here and elsewhere while watching it yet I still really liked it. I guess I just didn't care. It was that fun and heartfelt. I can't say that about many modern reboots.

*edited wording etc.

Last edited:
It's a reboot big surprise that there are some fairly obvious faults but I had such a fun time! So much that I'm going again tomorrow lol. I recognized many of the the issues brought up here and elsewhere while watching it yet I still really liked it. I guess I just didn't care, it was that fun and heartfelt. Can't say that about many modern reboots. At least I can't.

*edited wording
Your view is pretty much what I've seen as the consensus from people that have been 'critical' of the film. The fan-service, ham-fisted nostalgia, & beat-by-beat retreads are obvious & plentiful ... but it's so well done & completely enjoyable that no one really cares.

It's a reboot big surprise

Have we just given up on the meaning of words around here? I've given up expecting accurate terminology from trade publications at this point, but fans are usually better about it. Afterlife is a relaunch, just like Jurassic world or The Force Awakens. GB 2016 was a reboot. Reboots jettison all previous continuity and start fresh. Remakes get rid of the continuity but tell the same story again. Relaunches are sequels made after a long gap that attempt to revialize a property.

Spoiler warning… kind of a Easter egg warning lol

The toaster from GBII is somewhere in the farm house

Reitman explains GB2 is still canon, and hints of it was in the film. He also won’t answer the question why they didn’t use the ecto-1a.

He replies that they are ready to explain that, hinting towards maybe we’ll get that answered in a sequel

Hey hey. I’m dyslexic I got a excuse ;)
:lol: I know buddy. And I also realize that there are international members whose first language isn't English, with its arbitrary rules (which are often counterintuitive).

But I see more and more that social media has become an echo chamber of terrible spelling, grammar, and punctuation, and people have gotten lazy and just perpetuate/regurgitate it. :confused:

Have we just given up on the meaning of words around here? I've given up expecting accurate terminology from trade publications at this point, but fans are usually better about it. Afterlife is a relaunch, just like Jurassic world or The Force Awakens. GB 2016 was a reboot. Reboots jettison all previous continuity and start fresh. Remakes get rid of the continuity but tell the same story again. Relaunches are sequels made after a long gap that attempt to revialize a property.
It is a relaunch and not a reboot. I agree that the difference is important. Thank you for pointing it out.

:lol: I know buddy. And I also realize that there are international members whose first language isn't English, with its arbitrary rules (which are often counterintuitive).

But I see more and more that social media has become an echo chamber of terrible spelling, grammar, and punctuation, and people have gotten lazy and just perpetuate/regurgitate it. :confused:
i remember stuff like 2u, cu later, ru

Got back from watching it. Saw it twice in a row. The heart of Ghostbusters is still beating, and GB:A has proven it still has a pulse. It was a fun film, and the ending of the film was so heartwarming. I'm impressed with how they were able to wrap up Egon's story (and it brought tears to my eyes, I'm not gonna lie). Now, I'm interested to see where things go from here.

You're 100% right. I make the mistake of multitasking while writing or reading posts and I shouldn't. If we don't care about how we present our thoughts (even on the internet), why would anyone else care what we have to say?

You see, though, it’s exactly this understanding of why the original is great that makes it so I enjoy the new one. I know it’ll never be Ghostbusters! Nothing will ever be Ghostbusters! I have never expected anything else to be Ghostbusters! It was 100% lighting in a bottle, product of the times, everything coming together just when it needed to. It’s witty, it’s dry, it’s fun, and it’s a classic. But comedies like that don’t exist anymore. And as several people have brought up, the main “gag” of Ghostbusters—that they take something supernatural and spooky and ethereal and make it mundane and schlubby and normal—doesn’t work after one movie. The juxtaposition of ghosts and crass exterminators catching them doesn’t play anymore because it’s now a part of our pop-culture. That element of humor is and forever will be gone outside of the original. So I guess my point is, if anyone was expecting this movie to somehow be just as clever as a movie from 30 years ago that was released in a very different climate by very different people and mindsets, I’m sorry. But that’s just kind of deluded. Like, I feel like I can expect good Star Wars content, for example. (I don’t feel like I’m getting it, but that’s not the point.) What I mean is, there isn’t necessarily anything there in the OT in my mind that could not be replicated with enough effort, skill, and passion. Whereas expecting a spiritual successor to Ghostbusters? Nah. It just won’t happen. I would say the closest I honestly could come up with (and it really isn’t that close) is What We Do in the Shadows (the movie, not the show). Not to mention that I love SW a lot more than Ghostbusters, so I guess I’m also more easily satisfied by Afterlife than if I were a bigger fan.

All in all, it's not a bad movie. It respects the legacy of the original, but in a lot of ways it failed to be it's own story because it hits all the beats of the original. Afterlife respected it's source material, but perhaps it forgot that in order for it to be truly great it actually has to tell a new story, and not just copy the one that started it all. If they do go forward I hope they take the time to really establish the new cast so that they have their own arcs which is what I thought was lacking.

I can’t disagree with a lot of the points made by the HitB crew but I think it is their own nostalgia that is blinding them on this one. ”Why wasn’t this more like the first one?“, “why did they do this it was better in the first one.”

No nothing was really introduced in this film but it has characters I want to see more of. I want to see the mom now trying to manage a franchise she is only kinda interested in while Gary jumps in trying to move to fast. I want to see the car get cleaned up and then modified by the kids. I want to see them travel around trying to make a 40 year old business plan viable again. None of that can work if you don’t introduce them to it all first and I really can’t think of a more delightful way to do it.

The comments about Egon I completely agree with. I thought the exact same thing in the theater that as she held the wand his hand should help hold it steady and that’s it. Going all the way for as long as they did felt a bit gratuitous.

On paper I should've disliked a good deal about this movie as it did many of the things that I don't care for in relaunched/rehashed films (a good deal of which were mentioned in this video). I still really enjoyed GBA even after a second viewing despite its flaws. I can't entirely reconcile or justify that. I don't think I need to though. It's being filed in the section of films that are great because they're just pure fun entertainment, nothing else.

I fail to be bothered by a soft remake.

GB#1 came out the same year as 'Temple of Doom' and 'Terminator#1'. It's an ancient movie by pop culture standards. You have to expect a soft remake when any franchise that old is being revisited. Not even Star Wars ANH is immune.

So there's a limited number of franchises that have actually been relaunched, can anyone think of one that didn't do some kind of plot retread? I mean you have to write a movie that assumes the audience hasn't seen the original. Tron Legacy maybe?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back