Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And dude, I DID START A THREAD FOR JUST THAT PURPOSE! It was brought up 10 times that it was locked in THIS thread the instant it was put up. I EVEN PUT IN THE DESCRIPTION, PLEASE DO NOT BASH ME OR OTHERS FOR THE WAY WE DO THINGS, THIS IS TO KEEP THE PEACE!

What happened? it got locked! Within minutes!

I don't know why the thread was locked. Maybe the staff felt it was duplicative and they didn't need two threads on GB16 floating around. Or maybe they felt that such a black hole of negativity wasn't something they wanted on the forum.

You could ask them directly, though, and find out.

If this thread devolves into simply me and golden hawk trashing it constantly, i'm happy with that. if others aren't, I just don't know what to say at this point.

Do you realize how self-centered that sounds? You may not, actually, but your comment basically comes across as simply not giving a damn that the fact that you and goldhawk SO NEEDED a place to vent your negativity that you were perfectly happy to drive all other discussion and commenters away.

Dude. That is not how a community works. It's not all about you and your needs.

We can't trash talk it elsewhere due to censorship. We can't trash talk it in a thread designed to trash talk it...what other recourse is there for those who feel the need to vent about how sorry a franchise they once like has become? and if we like doing it, why walk away?

Because the way in which you're doing it is basically driving everyone else away from a discussion that ostensibly ought to be welcoming and open to them. You ask what other recourse you have. Here are a few options:

- Start your own thread (if the mods will let you).
- Do so over PM with likeminded individuals. Protip: you can include multiple people on a PM, I think, so you could have like a little discussion group if you wanted.
- Just stop complaining about the film and go find stuff to be happy about instead.

Alternatively, if none of those work for you, you can bitch in this thread in a way that doesn't basically shut down all other discussion. I think you may not realize that it's not simply that you have negative things to say about the film, but that it's the way in which you engage in that discussion that is driving people away. You aren't content to just let a post go that says something like "Check out this cool prop photo from the new film!" Instead, you have to chime in with "Ugh. Such garbage. And by the way, the film was such garbage, too." Hell, Goldhawk LITERALLY called posting something about props -- ON A PROP BOARD -- trying to distract from what he seems to believe is the central purpose of this thread: bitching about the film.

Quite simply, you are not allowing other discussion to occur without needing to at least jump in and say "IT SUCKED IT SUCKED IT SUCKED." And when people say "Dude, chill out. We're just trying to have a discussion here," you complain about how you've been silenced and censored and whatnot.

There are other ways to complain. Each "positive" (or, I suppose, non-negative) comment does not require an individual reply from you about how much you hate the film, how Paul Feig is the devil, how the props were ugly, the pro-GB16 folks are so mean, etc. It's not a contest, and you don't "lose" if there's non-negative stuff in this thread that goes unopposed. You can just let other people have a pleasant discussion about stuff that isn't bitching about the film.

But if you can't? If you're at a point where you simply have to interject and tell people how awful the film is and what a personal tragedy it's been for you that it exists at all in the universe? If you can't allow opinions contrary to your own to go unchallenged, even when they aren't being directed at you? Then it's time to either walk away, or at least expect people to call you on it.

All the opinions are one sided now on both sides.

Actually, that's not true. Not even remotely. D_osborn has been pretty clear that the thought the film was, eh, you know, fine-ish. Nothing special, nothing awful. He's also talking about some of the fun going on in the GB fan realms. That's not simply "THIS FILM IS GOOD AND ALL WHO DISAGREE ARE STUPID HATERS."

I don't know why the thread was locked. Maybe the staff felt it was duplicative and they didn't need two threads on GB16 floating around. Or maybe they felt that such a black hole of negativity wasn't something they wanted on the forum.

You could ask them directly, though, and find out.

Do you realize how self-centered that sounds? You may not, actually, but your comment basically comes across as simply not giving a damn that the fact that you and goldhawk SO NEEDED a place to vent your negativity that you were perfectly happy to drive all other discussion and commenters away.

Dude. That is not how a community works. It's not all about you and your needs.

again, agree to disagree.

The only reason i started to lean that way was because I felt like my opinions and the way I posted on things was annoying the people who like to be happy about things more often than not, where annoyed by how I Was doing things. that's the only reason I suggested starting a positive thread. I Was MORE THAN HAPPY to say I will stay out of it, and I didn't feel offended or insulted by not wanting to be around there. if others wanted to start a positivity thread, I really have no problem with that. I'll gladly stay out of it. I won't feel insulted by it. I see nothing wrong with that.

But god forbid you have a thread trashing things...

If all this is to get people trashing the movie tired of defending their way of doing things, congratulations, it's working.

I'm getting a headache now.

Even how you word things in this thread...

>>- Just stop complaining about the film and go find stuff to be happy about instead.>>>

basically comes across to me as 'negativity isn't needed, no matter how it's worded'. that's not really a great way to run a community either.
If I'm happy complaining and venting, what does it matter to you? again, just ignore it.

Since we are never going to agree on this, and it's going to be an endless back and forth, even I'm getting to the point of saying, mods, lock this thread...

you won. I'm done. hope it was worth it.

and just for the record, I don't care if people talk positively about this thing. I try to ignore most of it now. I try not to attack it...I just concentrate on bashing the movie. of course, we all have relapses at times.

Why did I just have a vision of a prohibition era for Negativity just now?

We all need secret speak easy's where we can spout negativity of things ;o) lol

Last edited:
This is the single most embarrassing thread on the forum. I can't believe it's still up.

- - - Updated - - -

Neil, this place is a community. It's our local hangout, of sorts. People come here to discuss all kinds of things in all kinds of ways. We have to share the space with each other. When everyone leaves the bar except for the drunk in the corner who never stops complaining, then that guy has basically driven everyone away. When his attitude is "Screw 'em! Let 'em find another bar if they don't like it!" it doesn't exactly engender a lot of goodwill towards him. That's how you guys are behaving currently.

THIS... I tried to write this very thing... but this was said much better.

It's funny cuz this could have been a fun thread to discuss Ghostbusters period... much like in the other forums for episode 8 and Rogue One we have a lot of fun dissecting Star Wars (STILL)...

But there's no point here. It's a wasteland.

If it's a community to discuss all kinds of things in all kinds of ways, then this is one of those things and one of those ways. If too much truth drives some people away to a "safe space", that's pretty much on them. The tone seems like it's been pretty civil as far as I can see. Not every opinion is going to positive, about anything. If that melts a few snowflakes, oh well. Suddenly, we're living in the world of Demolition Man. Be well.

Very well said Dan. There are a number of threads I have avoided simple because a number of members do nothing but s*** on everyone who so much as mentions they may like a movie that's not well regarded by others. There's not even any intelligent discussion just an endless barrage of insults leveled at the director, cast, crew, and other members of the forum. I have to say I am not enjoying the RPF as much as I used to...

I think thats a bit dramatic, and I know what thread youre referring to. I dont get the idea that when people disagree about something, they take it personal. Its so odd. This is the only board that I have seen that does that. I say I cant stand Zack Snyder and I refuse to watch any more of his movies, and you get all personal and butt hurt about it because you in fact like them. I dont care if you like them, hell, I envy you that you do because he seems to be the one that has his hands in everything, so if its DC related, Zack Snyder is going to be involved in some capacity. Not to thread jack what people have been saying in THIS thread, but man. Everyone needs to stop being so sensitive. Its a prop forum. On the damn internet. Does it really take THAT much out of your day if some blow hard craps on something you like? Or is incessantly positive about something you hate? I dunno, maybe Im just not used to forum culture I guess.

If it's a community to discuss all kinds of things in all kinds of ways, then this is one of those things and one of those ways. If too much truth drives some people away to a "safe space", that's pretty much on them. The tone seems like it's been pretty civil as far as I can see. Not every opinion is going to positive, about anything. If that melts a few snowflakes, oh well. Suddenly, we're living in the world of Demolition Man. Be well.

even though i love the demolition man reference, it comes across to me as more this.

'That's $37's...' -angry face, happy attitude 'that's awesome!'

- - - Updated - - -

dunno, maybe Im just not used to forum culture I guess.

it's sadly getting like this everywhere. I used to think RPF was the one last place of refuge where it hadn't hit yet.

guess not.

Last edited by a moderator:
You must realize that using the original to promote/prop up this case study in folly was an act of life support. Right? After doing everything to disavow the originals, insult the fans, and rebooting it in the worst way possible, they then went back to the original to prop it up as it became apparent that it was a disaster. A movie that can stand on its own stands on its own. If it could've, it would've.

But, I get it. It's all part of our culture of weakness and aspiration to "almost mediocre" these days. Nothing is ever a failure. God forbid. Failure hurts feelings. Better to BELIEVE you've succeeded and live life in denial than to accept failure, learn from it, and do better next time. We could be on the Titanic. The waters rising and pointing out that the ship is sinking and a snowflake would say, "That's mean. You're just being negative. Someone worked really hard on this ship and exciting things are happening in ship building these days"......

This is such a great post, it sums things up rather nicely. Especially the "nothing is ever a failure" part.

Yeah, thats right. Just keep saying its everyone else's fault. None of it is on you at all. Yet, you accuse others of being in a fantasy land. Sure. Sounds completely legit. Totally sound logic right there.

Seriosusly, this is idea that if you're not completely against something, then you're 100% in favor of it just boggles the mind. Who lives in a world like that?

This is such a great post, it sums things up rather nicely. Especially the "nothing is ever a failure" part.

trophy for trying.

At this point, this thread is just a battle of wills to see who will give out first.

I won't be dissapointed if it gets locked.

It'll be like that simpsons book in tree house of horror two, where you open it, all that will happen is ghosts popping out saying 'evil, evil , EEEVIL!'

No one is saying you can't not like a movie. But this thread and the way you guys are handling it IS EMBARRASSING.

I didn't like the movie... it is absolutely a failure. A bigger failure is this thread.

An even bigger failure is for certain individuals not seeing how their negativity isn't doing anything for their cause on THE RPF.

No one is saying you can't not like a movie. But this thread and the way you guys are handling it IS EMBARRASSING.

I didn't like the movie... it is absolutely a failure. A bigger failure is this thread.

An even bigger failure is for certain individuals not seeing how their negativity isn't doing anything for their cause on THE RPF.

I see what youre saying, and yeah, its gotten excessive. But why is the "thread being a failure" so unnerving? How is that even a thing? Its going to get pushed back into obscurity soon enough, and maybe, MAYBE get referenced elsewhere. Big deal. Its not like this is mandatory reading when you join the RPF, so I dont get how one negative thread affects the entire forum. Thats kind of weird to say. Especially considering how often people post on here, and how many threads are active.

"Negativity"....the PC code word for honesty. Can't have any of that, now. Like Carlin said, "Honesty would F this country up!".

or negativity like bashing someone who has you on ignore simply for having you on ignore...

Or calling people out for not donating to a charity (as far as you knew) and proclaiming proudly, 'look, I donated! I'm being 'positive'. meanwhile, people who do donate to charity's don't brag about it. they just do it.

meanwhile, all us evil people are doing is bashing a movie no one here has any investment in...

unless....

nah.....tin foil hat time ;o)

I see what youre saying, and yeah, its gotten excessive. But why is the "thread being a failure" so unnerving? How is that even a thing? Its going to get pushed back into obscurity soon enough, and maybe, MAYBE get referenced elsewhere. Big deal. Its not like this is mandatory reading when you join the RPF, so I dont get how one negative thread affects the entire forum. Thats kind of weird to say. Especially considering how often people post on here, and how many threads are active.

It's more that it COULD have been a fun discussion thread that's been lost... There have been some good discussions, comparing and contrasting to the old flicks. What the original did right, what the new did wrong/could have done better... why the second is maybe as bad as the new, if not worse...

But that was lost when 5 posts after are just "LOOK HOW IT'S FAILING NOW! SUCK IT FEIG!"

Maybe down the line such a thread could exist (like prequel discussing in other Star Wars threads), but not yet.

- - - Updated - - -

"Negativity"....the PC code word for honesty. Can't have any of that, now. Like Carlin said, "Honesty would F this country up!".

Again... no one said you can't think negatively about a movie... it's about it being a discussion forum, not a spread the hate and take glee in it forum.

If anyone has 12 people on ignore there has to be a point where one asks is it them or is it me.

You're absolutely correct, it doesn't effect anything. And being negative towards a film is perfectly a-ok. In fact, I haven't even seen this film and have no desire to, although I was just in a Wal-Mart getting camping meals and heard a little boy tell out Ghostbusters excitedly to his Mom in the toy aisle.

Where this thread went really south and the point I became engaged was when the conversation turned towards making accusations such as the female President of Paramount sleeping her way to the top, or the very borderline misogynistic attacks of the actresses themselves (which has precedence here in the RPF, see the TFA thread and claims that Rey was a Mary Sue, I aggressively fought against that characterization as well), and the most amusing to me were the cries that the film negatively portrayed men. Having never seen it I can't speak to that but if true, the way women are usually portrayed in films I say we owe them one at least. None of this had to do with the movie and some was deemed offensive enough to warrant removal by the Moderators. I have been here long time and have had plenty of disagreements and dust up with members but have never been told to pull a comment and have certainly never put anyone on ignore. I think this distinction is important and should not carry over into other threads.

Last edited:
GB .jpg

Found this on my desktop yesterday... still holds true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back