Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ghostbusters Post Release

Holy cow tripoli have you not been to this part of the forum the last few months? Nothing you have posted is new from the last thread. This thread is about reviews and reactions. Maybe you and NeilT can keep your theories over in that thread where it belongs, thanks! :)

A common tactic when you cannot provide any sound rebuttal. Do not talk about the issue, instead bully those who disagree and try to silence them. Should be a red flag waving high in itself whenever you see this tactic used. Time tends to corrects such.

*snicker* Holy cow I feel like this is straight from 4chan or a similar board. Hey all, the latest Trump controversy is just a false flag for Ghostbuster reviews!

This flick is so controversial that I think even the best reviewers may show biases. They all do it occasionally.

Between the cheap reboot frustration on principle, to the sexism in the movie, to the fans' reactions, to the studio's reactions to the fans' reactions, to being already sick of the movie just walking in . . . it seems like there is something to cloud the issue for almost anyone.

But mainstream reviewers from trusted sites/mags are still more reliable than the alternatives.

How funny will it be when this settles out with a superior critical response then Batman v. Superman? It won't come close to that box office but still, after all this negative hyperbole a just reward.

I guess I made peace years ago that a new GB film was never going to be anything other than random summer entertainment. Seriously-- how many sequels and reboots of beloved properties stand up to the originals? The best I hope for with this sort of thing is a fun two hours. Anything more is an awesome bonus. With that in mind, GB16 sounds like a fun night out.

Thank you for so perfectly capturing the problem. This attitude, right here - the willingness to plunk down $12 for this nonsense and not only excuse it but explicitly say that it's all you want/need from the studios - that's why this movie is awful. That's why we get TMNT and Transformers and GI Joe and Mary Poppins 2 (sorry, Lin-Manuel!). I'm not even saying that Ivan and Dan were kicking around ideas which Murray should have signed off on, but there absolutely were talented people offering up good ideas for a Ghostbusters sequel. Sony's approach was JUST to chase your easy dollars, never even considering the story or legacy of this beloved franchise they'd inherited from Columbia. Until audiences demand something more and stop with this "just a popcorn movie" nonsense, we'll never get anything better.

sigh... dont we already have a thread like this?! now i gotta keep track of both of them?

just the nature of the beast. It'll be a good endurance test to try and stay out of whatever comes next ;o)

- - - Updated - - -

thank you for posting the reddit link. everyone always brings up reddit, but i can never figure out how to navigate it. the layout is like being stuck in a Prodigy BB circa 1993 ;o)

you know i never really listen to reviews, i usually go see the movie for myself. i am no critic but there are some movies i really really love that many people dont. theres many movies people consider to be bad that I've gone and seen twice.. hell TFA many people hate and i saw that 11 times in theaters.

ill wait to review the new ghostbusters when it comes out on HBO...

you know i never really listen to reviews, i usually go see the movie for myself. i am no critic but there are some movies i really really love that many people dont. theres many movies people consider to be bad that I've gone and seen twice.. hell TFA many people hate and i saw that 11 times in theaters.

ill wait to review the new ghostbusters when it comes out on HBO...

It's art as entertainment and entirely subjective if any one person considers it "good". As I frequently pointed out in the TFA thread was the only "objective" facts about a piece of art is an aggregate off critical reviews and financial strength. That's where the rubber hits the road objectively. This film will likely be a modest financial success and it's entirely possible after the open weekend Sony will start plans for a second film.

Last edited:

ver the film on a thematic level."

That's a shame as this was suppose to be a movie that focused on Ghostbusters, not a personal agenda as it is.

i'm going to try and stay off this topic, and i know everyone knows this by now, but it bares repeating in the sony revisionist history.

but it WAS the movies own fault. IT WAS a personal agenda right from the start.

even before we knew what went on in the email leak,
the very first tweet was 'get ready for four funny females busting ghosts next summer'. When it should have just mentioned ghostbusters. Then, Paul FigNewton mentioned in his tweet 'yes, and it will star funny women'. as if that was the question on all our lips...sorry, chapped lips and we where just DYING to know if that was the case or not.
The guys own ego played right into pascals hands, and she found someone to not only support and push her hateful agenda, but actually agreeing with it and going farther!

this thing deserves all the hate it gets. the agenda was right there from the start, and only the blind or those willing to ignore it, or those too afraid of backlash for pointing it out let it get this far.

Again, if you folks want to hate watch this without adding to the bottom line, there are options.
1- buy oreos (I believe it was) and get the free ticket offer. sony gets no money from that.
2- buy from fandango. I think that YTer said only something like $2's goes to sony, the rest goes to fandando or the theater.
3- Buy a full price ticket for another movie, and go into feigbusters instead.

Secret life of pets might get my money twice. or i'll just do the oreo thing. after bashing it for this long, I want to see how bad bad can get, so I can PROPERLY tear it to shreds in a review, so anyone who supports it won't have any place to hide when the facts are brought out. at least, my version of the facts that i see on screen. your version of the facts based on your sensibilities may of course vary ;o)
I also want to see the stunned silence, the shocked stares, the booing, and if anyone is still there bythe time the third act comes along. Viva la Vindication ;)

When I think back to the making of a lot of the films most of us love, Star Wars, Alien, Jaws, Empire, Ghostbusters, Terminator, Die Hard, Predator, Indy, etc. - the making of these films always felt like it was filmmakers in the trenches who against all odds, were gonna shoot for the moon and go for it - there were just gonna fight and fight to make something visionary and awesome - and I think that comes across on screen in most of these "classics" -

- but now, I don't know, it's like the filmmakers are just like, "Eh, we're just making this thing..." like they're just some extension of the marketing department and business affairs divisions at studios who did their research about which property from their library they could exploit... So many modern movies, err, "brand extensions," come across like this... I get it. It's a business. Doesn't mean you have to aim for mediocrity.

When I think back to the making of a lot of the films most of us love, Star Wars, Alien, Jaws, Empire, Ghostbusters, Terminator, Die Hard, Predator, Indy, etc. - the making of these films always felt like it was filmmakers in the trenches who against all odds, were gonna shoot for the moon and go for it - there were just gonna fight and fight to make something visionary and awesome - and I think that comes across on screen in most of these "classics" -

- but now, I don't know, it's like the filmmakers are just like, "Eh, we're just making this thing..." like they're just some extension of the marketing department and business affairs divisions at studios who did their research about which property from their library they could exploit... So many modern movies, err, "brand extensions," come across like this... I get it. It's a business. Doesn't mean you have to aim for mediocrity.

It's like that back to the Future Documentary that just came out. The Directors, all kids who look barely older than 25, are supposedly just these huge, big fans. yet, one of their answers to a question was 'I didn't even know james tolkan was still alive...' I mean, seriously? they also didn't answer any of the questions with anything but sleepy eyed enthusiasm. Do all they do in hollywood now is hand out projects to 'big name' directors from a hat? Here, put your hand in, this is what we've got on the slate, whatever you pull out, you've got.

It's the only way I can explain studios not caring about these HUGE franchises they keep on butchering by giving to people who just don't give a ****. JJ with Star Trek. Michael Bay with Transformers and TMNT. Feig With Ghostbusters. Probably whoever gets He-Man since sony has it

Do you know how many fans there must be in the industry that would love to take a crack at that thing? you don't have any more to loose by choosing one of them than you do going with someone who doesn't care.

If Studio tentpoles are so important to studios, how do they not understand this simple logic?
If your main female star tells fans to ** because they give her criticism......back in the day she would have been fired and recast. now she's given a sequel..

Bizzaro world.

NeilT might be overstating some things but the main thrust of his argument is not wrong IMO.

It is revisionist history to pretend this project was totally benign (in the gender sense) until the the angry male nerds started griping. A big percentage of the GB fanbase smelled something they didn't like from day#1. The all-female cast (a point that was rammed down our throats at every opportunity) was just the most tangible evidence everyone could point to.

I'm sure Sony itself never wanted to pick this fight. But they hired people who did. And those people were hired because Sony lacked enough respect for GB to take the project very seriously. They expected to reboot GB with the disposable-poop approach and then get a tentpole-franchise result.

Last edited:

Er right now it has 41 review for 76%. Your screenshot is just 7 reviews. Look I picked 7 reviews and it has a 100%! Who won?

Jeyl: If you try to prove that ALL the good or decent reviews AREN'T "shills or SWJs" you have your work cut out for you. :)

Here is a question for those that have been complaining about this thing for months - WHAT would it take for you to believe this turned into a decent movie? An aggregate of reviews? A certain reviewer liking it? Most of the people on the RPF that post here said they enjoy it? If NONE of these is the case you may want to take a better look at how you make decisions.

It cant.There is no way it can be a decent movie. Maybe I expect too much out of movies, I dont know. Im not going to pay money to confirm it. As its been discussed before, based on what has been shown, it cant be a good movie. Unless you like dumbed down hack jobs that arent funny, then by all means, go for it. The only way to tell if its a good movie or not is if you go in WANTING it to be a good movie and convincing yourself it is, despite what you have seen. Its funny how high and mighty you come off Karmajay, especially taking jabs at NeilT the way you do.

NeilT might be overstating some things but the main thrust of his argument is not wrong IMO.

It is revisionist history to pretend this project was totally benign (in the gender sense) until the the angry male nerds started griping. A big percentage of the GB fanbase smelled something they didn't like from day#1. The all-female cast (a point that was rammed down our throats at every opportunity) was just the most tangible evidence everyone could point to.

I'm sure Sony itself never wanted to pick this fight. But they hired people who did.

I sometimes wonder if pascal acted all on her own, and sony brass had no clue what she was doing..

I saw something on IMDB that said she supposedly started out as a secretary and rose fast to sony power.

hmm..

Thank you for so perfectly capturing the problem. This attitude, right here - the willingness to plunk down $12 for this nonsense and not only excuse it but explicitly say that it's all you want/need from the studios - that's why this movie is awful. That's why we get TMNT and Transformers and GI Joe and Mary Poppins 2 (sorry, Lin-Manuel!). I'm not even saying that Ivan and Dan were kicking around ideas which Murray should have signed off on, but there absolutely were talented people offering up good ideas for a Ghostbusters sequel. Sony's approach was JUST to chase your easy dollars, never even considering the story or legacy of this beloved franchise they'd inherited from Columbia. Until audiences demand something more and stop with this "just a popcorn movie" nonsense, we'll never get anything better.

Very well said.

A super-fan with nostalgic curiosities and realistic expectations is absolutely the problem with modern big-budget Hollywood. Glad we nailed it! Team work!

Welcome to corporate Hollywood. If you want 1984's Ghostbusters, this was never going to be that. There's great sci-fi, comedy, horror, fantasy, drama ALL out there being produced, but big-budget corporate IP cash-ins sure isn't the place to find any of it. If that's where you're looking for from a modern corporate remake of a lightning-in-a-bottle movie, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

...and blaming curious fans for subpar Hollywood tenpoles is a bit absurd. Fans are low on the totem pole for the studios. They're after the general public dollars. Every member of the GBFans boards could boycot the movie and it wouldn't matter one bit.

It's a shame our modern folklore is controlled by big business corporate boards and opening-weekend profits, but it is-- and I haven't seen any realistic options to try and sway the giant. GB16 has surely proven that extreme online whining, complaining, vitriol and foot stomping from fans won't do the trick. All it did in this case was reinforce a stereotype.

Last edited:

especially taking jabs at NeilT the way you do.

I'm used to being ignored and made fun of. but, like Officer Krumps picture on venkmans dart board. 'That's OK Dr.Venkman, Keep it up. You can hit it all you want, but you'll notice I keep on smiling. Will you?' (when the movie comes out?)

Just sitting here enjoying the turn of the tide in a few days ;o)

A super-fan with nostalgic curiosities and realistic expectations is absolutely the problem with modern big-budget Hollywood. Glad we nailed it! Team work!

Welcome to corporate Hollywood. If you want 1984's Ghostbusters, this was never going to be that. There's great sci-fi, comedy, horror, fantasy, drama ALL out there being produced, but big-budget corporate IP cash-ins sure isn't the place to find any of it. If that's where you're looking for from a modern corporate remake of a lightning-in-a-bottle movie, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

It's a shame our modern folklore is controlled by big business corporate boards and opening-weekend profits, but it is-- and I haven't seen any realistic options to try and sway the giant. GB16 has surely proven than extreme online whining, complaining, and foot stomping from fans won't do the trick.

We'll see. Perhaps this is the one that makes the studios reconsider their approach. Probably not. But I'm noticing the seesaw tilting towards the right direction: revivals instead of reboots, fans accepting whatever schlock the studios will spatter onto their trays less and less. No matter how many times you say otherwise, we simply don't have to just accept that this is as good as it can get for big-name properties. If we show the studios that we're willing to pay for quality, for thoughtfulness, and unwilling to pay for mediocre reboots, I guarantee you there will be a sea change. Yes, it's all a business. They'll sell us what we demand, and nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back