Ghostbuster GB1 "Minnesota" Proton Pack

Filandrius

Sr Member
Update 10/12/15: See last post for pics of completed pack! :D

Hey everybody! In the last few months, after having finally getting the missing parts for my build, I've pretty much completed my GB1 proton pack to go with the thrower I've posted last year (reference: Ghostbusters GB1 Particle Thrower/Proton Gun) As with the thrower, that pack is built to replicate the one used by Bill Murray in the first movie. As much as it is possible, as as best as the reference allowed, I used the same exact parts and the same methods used on the real hero prop. Vintage parts (including a real bellows and some Legris 4mm elbows) aluminum parts, resin parts cast from screen-used ones, accurate fittings, resistors and fasteners, the works. I won't go into detail to not bore you guys to tears, but if you have any questions, ask away. In the meantime, here's some pictures I took during the build. There's a few things left to do (like installing the ribbon cable, and weathering the damn thing if I ever find the nerve) but it looks and feels complete, so there's that. Enjoy! :)

EDIT: See last post for latest pictures.

Last edited:
Here's the remaining pictures, including the ones with the "completed" pack with the thrower installed. :)

Last edited:
I have a question about the hose from the thrower to the cyclotron, Is it a cable collecting hose? , that is cut open and that is why its got electrical tape around it. I seen on the Hero movie one it also have cable ties.

Yes, it is a cable collecting hose, or a "split loom". It's not cut open, it comes that way (to help insert the cables/wires) The electrical tape is around it to hold it closed, but also because it's accurate to the screen-used pack (some people also use splitless loom, but that's not accurate to the movie props) The cable ties at each end are there to hold the loom to the thrower and to the pack (you guessed it, just like on the real packs)
I have a question about the hose from the thrower to the cyclotron, Is it a cable collecting hose? , that is cut open and that is why its got electrical tape around it. I seen on the Hero movie one it also have cable ties.

Yes, it is a cable collecting hose, or a "split loom". It's not cut open, it comes that way (to help insert the cables/wires) The electrical tape is around it to hold it closed, but also because it's accurate to the screen-used pack (some people also use splitless loom, but that's not accurate to the movie props) The cable ties at each end are there to hold the loom to the thrower and to the pack (you guessed it, just like on the real packs)

Thanks for the reply , Now i know what i should look for in Swedish stores:thumbsup. Planning of doing a budget pack for next years reboot release.

Lights are already in it, if you take a look at the build pictures in the first post, you'll see the pics showing the installation on the motherboard. As a matter of fact the lights were running when I took the last pics. No sound though, not planning to, either.
Great work Filandrius. Are you going to wire it with lights...and perhaps sound?

TazMan2000

Last edited:
Awesome built!!
I wish I could have time and skills (and money ;)) to build one too!
Any idea of how much it cost for all the materials and parts?
Thanks

Well, this is a full-blown replica of the hero packs, including all of the most obscure details and features (whenever possible) and those are arguably the most expensive replicas to build. It literally took me years to assemble all of the parts needed (I've been at it since at least 2011) Fiberglass shell, all metal parts (including the thrower which is all metal) vintage greeblies, most of it extremely expensive and insanely rare for reasons I won't go into right now. Long story short, you're looking at a four-figure number, even if you cut some corners (example: no electronics, no metal parts, modern replacements for the greeblies, etc...)

Well, this is a full-blown replica of the hero packs, including all of the most obscure details and features (whenever possible) and those are arguably the most expensive replicas to build. It literally took me years to assemble all of the parts needed (I've been at it since at least 2011) Fiberglass shell, all metal parts (including the thrower which is all metal) vintage greeblies, most of it extremely expensive and insanely rare for reasons I won't go into right now. Long story short, you're looking at a four-figure number, even if you cut some corners (example: no electronics, no metal parts, modern replacements for the greeblies, etc...)

It looks really accurate, indeed! Congrats for this amazing piece.

A few more pics with the completed light setup (i.e. the cyclotron lights) Like the screen-used pack worn by Murray, they run counter-clockwise.

Last edited:
After a short hiatus, I finally managed to complete my proton pack replica last week. This has been a long and epic build (I've been working on that thing, on and off, since 2011) and I'm glad to say that it's finally done. Enough said, here's some pictures.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back