General Doctor Whoniverse Discussion

Putting aside the inconsistent reports of the Doctor's age over the years, is it the intent that his subjective period of time spent during the course of the show has more or less coincided with the amount of time the show has been on the air?

That would mean he went several hundred years as Hartnell and has had a terrible run of bad luck the last 48 years, running through most of the remaining regenerations during that brief span.

Which seems unlikely, but where would one cram all those extra centuries into the continuity? I realize writers have found gaps here and there in which to insert "new" adventures of previous doctors, but there's usually the mess of a companion being there before and after the "aside" not having aged a bit.

Also, even to a time traveler there has to be a "present". Is ours the same as his?

Kind of tickled me in Deadly Assassin concerning all the commentary about the "old" model Tardis still being in use. Well, how do they know it didn't travel there from the past, and therefore isn't old from its POV? Those were the last kind of comments I'd expect from Time Lords.

To respond in reverse order...a timelord's temporal POV is probably Gallifrey-centric so speaking about an "old" Type 40 makes sense.

I think the short answer is that the Doctor doesn't know how old he is and that his constant throwing out of numbers is barely even an estimation. He could be 900, he could be 9000....and what's a "year" to a Gallifreyan anyway?

The long answer is here.

Not to mention that assuming all the time went to Hartnell's doctor implies that we witness all moments of the doctor's being since the show premeired. Who's to say that the others didn't live off screen substantially longer than we're aware. Just look at last season, Matt Smith's doctor had been away for years at the opening of episode one.

Yep, like the 4th Doctor's visit to Leela's planet waaaaaay before he met her. Plus all the audio adventures (which I am just starting to delve into) which are canon.

They've established that The Doctor lives adventures that we don't see, so it's not a stretch that we've missed decades (or centuries) of his life. I really think they should have done that with Tennant (implied that he adventured for 100s of years before Matt Smith came onboard).

Remember, though, that we don't KNOW what's up with Matt Smith's Doctor. He could still be a clone/alternate universe Doctor/etc - it may not be the ACTUAL Doctor.

I'm watching Tennant's era right now and just in his first season alone he and Rose talk about adventures they've been on "off camera". Safe to say there's a lot going on we don't know about.

To respond in reverse order...a timelord's temporal POV is probably Gallifrey-centric so speaking about an "old" Type 40 makes sense.
Yes, but for all they know this Type 40 traveled to Gallifrey "present" directly from the assembly line, however many years ago that was. So to be so amazed that one was "still" in service makes no sense coming from time travelers.

(I also wonder how they can spot Tardises, and identify their model number, just by viewing its chameleon disguise. Ah, but we be but mere humans. ;) )

There have been some mentions about how Gallifrey is sort of a time-standard and Timelords can only travel to Gallifrey's "present". In other words, time travel on Gallifrey isn't possible, only off-world. I haven't seen all of the classic series, so I don't know if they ever broke that rule, but from what I've seen it holds up.

So I'm listening to my wife sing our kid to sleep right now and not that it ever needs confirmation but you really know you've ended up with your true love when her version of "Old McDonald" has a verse that goes..."and on his farm he had some Daleks, ee i ee i oh. With an EXTERMINATE here, an EXTERMINATE there, here EXTERMINATE, there EXTERMINATE, everywhere EXTERMINATE..."

So I'm listening to my wife sing our kid to sleep right now and not that it ever needs confirmation but you really know you've ended up with your true love when her version of "Old McDonald" has a verse that goes..."and on his farm he had some Daleks, ee i ee i oh. With an EXTERMINATE here, an EXTERMINATE there, here EXTERMINATE, there EXTERMINATE, everywhere EXTERMINATE..."
You're living the dream man. Living the dream.

I agree about 10th Drs years. Wish RTD hadn't pinned an age to 9 & 10. The other Drs you can add non screen years to, but not with 10, which could make him the shotest lived Dr. As for ageing companions I always saw it that those who travel with the DR aged at a slower rate due to TARDIS inside being 'out of time' so to speak. No evidence for it. Just an idea I always had.

New Who on Saturday!!! In other news....holy crap, the new faux LEGO Who toys are a serious addiction. Not good, because I like 'em and so does Scarlet. Picked up the 11 Doctors and a bunch of blind packs. *Trying* to only open 2 packs a day with the kid.

tumblr_lo62g5JYlg1qev2vuo1_500.jpg

EXTERMINATE!!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back