GB1 Hero Proton Pack Build

Yes. I'm still relatively new to this. I don't have the experience or knowledge to start modifying the shell.......yet. I'm leaving this shell as is. Future builds ill maybe work up the courage to do it

Small update. Finished bondoing, painting and mounting my half moon spacer

9y9ugumu.jpg

Update time. Finished painting all the parts and shell. Finally for my speakers in so I began mounting them to the mobo in preparation for paint. The 1/2 spacers where to large so I went to 1/4 spacers and they worked great. I also made to brackets to hole my perf board to house my electronics. Test fitted the shell over for clearance and it worked fantastic. I got the lenses installed (one of fav parts of a build) and started to install all my parts. I riveted my beam tubes to the L bracket then built my ion arm. I need to finish getting my tubing installed and get my stickers printed. I went to multiple stores and couldn't find the appropriate sticker paper so I had to order it in. I planned on putting my joe Luna stickers on but ran out of time. Let me know what you all think! Ill be starting the thrower this weekend.

2u8u3yde.jpg

he2ejave.jpg

jupu5a4y.jpg

agy4ybug.jpg

nuzamyse.jpg

2u7uveta.jpg

8etasa2e.jpg

uqyduva2.jpg

9asemuty.jpg

gyda9u3y.jpg

Left the lateral side of the L bracket silver as seen in some of the screen shots

8a2ygasy.jpg

ha2uzury.jpg

abemute5.jpg

8y3yny5a.jpg

Looks really good! You and I have used some of the same parts, including R2Devo lights, a Vinny shell and a Venky bumper.

I did my own aluminum tubing, though, following Vinny's DIY tutorial and suggested stock from Speedy Metals. Had the welding teacher at the high school let one of his kids TIG weld it together for me.

Where did you get the yellow 'Clippard' tubing? That looks great!

All of my tubing is from GBFans Shop (AJ Quick), as are the resistors, ladder, GB1 ribbon cable, crank knob, gun knobs, acrylic rod, trigger tip, heatsink, and Clippards.

I clipped off the upper solder lug of the small resistor on the ion arm, and now I regret doing that. Wish I'd left it unaltered like yours.

Also on the ion arm, you've got your large Dale resistor with the ribbing vertical. Mine is like that too at the moment, but I was watching the movie the other day and saw it horizontal in several scenes.

I tried to turn it in place but it just locked down really tight right where it was. I'm dreading having to remove the ion arm from the shell to unscrew the nut on the inside so I can rotate it 90 degrees.

Really gorgeous looking pack, can't wait to see it all finished.

Alex

Somebody was selling the genuine clippard tubing on GBFans a while back and I saved it for this kind I build. I also have to switch the ph-25 to one without the disc on top, still waiting to get that. I appreciate the kind words!

Why are you worried about taking the ion arm off?

Ha! I never noticed the disc variation, now I will have to source a no-disc one as well!

Not worried, I just dread it. The way I screwed it into place, it's a chore to unthread/re-thread the screws.

Whose thrower is that one you're using? I have one of Vinny's metal ones, but I still need to get a rear cylinder... probably will go with FreakyGeeky (formerly Dimensional Fabrications?) for that piece.

I'm stymied at the moment on a) the internal mechanism to extend the acrylic tip via the green lever and b) whether or not to add the twisting barrel. I like the detail, but it will be tricky to do without constantly wearing/tearing on the wires for the gun ear light and the push-button switch (which I use for the 'vent' sound effect from the VideoGame).

Alex

Last edited:
I'd love to see a video of your pack! My gun is a full freekygeeky kit. I don't think I'm going to twist my barrel just for the reason of I don't want to ruin the light kit. I waited so long for my r2devo kit that I'd hate for something to go wrong with it. I want to get a Vinny gun kit, build it up and problem solve the barrel extension and barrel twist. If I can do that I'd just swap throwers an put my freekygeeky on my first pack.

Are you Alex newborn on GBFans?

Yep, that's me.

Lotsa videos on my build thread there... including this most recent one:

That's my resin gun, I haven't yet put my metal thrower together. When I was adding sound and putting all the extra DPDT wires in the TC gun, I ran out of space for the red LED on the R2DEVO lights, so I just left it off that day rather than unthread all those wires and drill the hole bigger. I'll be sure to make some extra room on the metal thrower.

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn Alex glad to see you over here! I've watched your videos numerous times and it helped me on my build! Well done sir. Vinny how I love when that Italian side comes out in you. Your def my paesano!

Heaven forbid someone point out easily corrected flaws in a shell that came from a new mold; the master of which was reworked for small blemishes, while the glaring issues remain (after said seller was informed of them and how easily corrected they would be). I suppose when money is changing hands, some people are all too happy with the status quo, regardless of accuracy.

It's a very good pack build; it's just a shame that those few simple details tarnish the final product, especially when there's so few stand-out packs anymore.

I take offense to you calling it tarnished. What the hell is that supposed to mean? You may think my build isn't up to par anymore but I'm incredibly happy with how my build has gone.

Your build is very good; there's a few things that you could have fixed on your purchased parts that would have really knocked it out of the park though. I think that by not fixing said things, you've wound up with a well-built pack that doesn't stand out, since so many people have those very same parts.

What is a nice pack (better than most) had the potential to be an insanely great pack, save a few details, that honestly, you shouldn't have to correct.

But I digress. Are you planning on doing anything to the bellows like PChrisBosh did to knock off some of the coppery sheen?

Terrific build, you're using great parts and you're doing a bang-up job. I love the tiny details that show that you're a perfectionist, like the deburring of the power cell bracket and the way the light kit is mounted. Looks like an epic pack in the making. I especially like the way you've installed the N-filter; it's easier to cut the shell to match the filter than to cut the filter to match the shell. :p

Wow thanks for the amazing words guys. Especially you filandrius. Your builds have been an absolute God sent to my build. I've studied your build since my first pack. It means a lot to have you stop by and give me that comment! Thanks phish, that clippard tubing I actually got from you quite some time ago and have been holing on and cherishing it till this very build! Thanks for stopping by!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back