Galen Erso's Message Prop?

So let me ask your opinion. The circuit traces are obviously gold/brass. But what color(s) is the key/drive itself? When Edrio TwoTubes is holding it, it looks gray. When Saw is holding it it kinda looks gray but in other shots it also looks gold/brass to match the traces. Not the chip part but the butt end and the two bars up the side, what color are those?

Updated traces for Solo security key on the left and rogue one message drive on the right.

The message drive is the same file but cut short to accommodate the different housing. I may end up making the chip a separate piece that can be removed from the base. That way I can use the same chip and traces for both props as well as use that as a way to expose the thumb drive if I can figure out how to do that.

Let me know what you think. Again it’s silver because it’s a test cut on scrap material.
277524d7bbed1f41eb4992af402e54cc.jpg

SoloCardFixed.jpg

For the Solo one do you guys see silver traces or gold? it's not as silver as the ball chain but not quite gold either. hard to tell if it's just washed out or not.

OK so which is it? Gray or Gold?
Here it looks Gray to me
Screen Shot 09-30-17 at 04.27 PM.PNG
Like this
ccf4bf5d43d7f1dbf6a0123ba205924c.jpg

But here (and this is the same side that doesn't have the circle) it looks gold to me.
Screen Shot 09-30-17 at 04.29 PM 001.PNG

Like this test piece.
1c1267f056b2388ad694f134d57c1535.jpg

I might be onto something. Tell me what you think. In the above pics I clearly see a dull gray in one shot and a semi shiny goldish color in another. But I couldn’t think of a way that the same piece could appear as both

But

What if it was a weathered silver like this?
dbe5d9442c5b0e7b8f96b7cad3f8aa86.jpg

64fa6a31319b9b592aadff7ef3a552c6.jpg

Because then depending on the lighting it CAN appear as both

Dull gray
05e5d9bb3a8a6720bffb558aa3d1292f.jpg

Semi shiny goldish color
adba76a2dd4042395e01fd92317b5cde.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I might be onto something. Tell me what you think. In the above pics I clearly see a full gray in one shot and a semi shiny goldish color in another. But I couldn’t think of a way that the same piece could appear as both

But

What if it was a weathered silver like this?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180724/dbe5d9442c5b0e7b8f96b7cad3f8aa86.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180724/64fa6a31319b9b592aadff7ef3a552c6.jpg

Because then depending on the lighting it CAN appear as both

Dull gray
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180724/05e5d9bb3a8a6720bffb558aa3d1292f.jpg

Semi shiny goldish color
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180724/adba76a2dd4042395e01fd92317b5cde.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Geeeee, awesome work! And I think you it the jack pot. The only difference is that while the silver does look just like the gold on screen, it does not look identical to the rest of gold you have on your prop.

Geeeee, awesome work! And I think you it the jack pot. The only difference is that while the silver does look just like the gold on screen, it does not look identical to the rest of gold you have on your prop.

Right but that's the only way I can think of to do it so that it could also match the dull gray appearance from the shot where Two Tubes is holding it. If it was actually gold, there's no way it would look gray in that shot. There are other factors as well. I'm using gold vinyl that is only semi reflective. They may have laser etched and/or gold plated the real prop. And the lighting is very different in my office from in that shot.
Having said that, I can still hold it in a way where the golds look much closer to the same color like in the photo you're talking about.
For example
ee4250bfd56d6a2e0c2fad6d86085128.jpg

Last edited:
Right but that's the only way I can think of to do it so that it could also match the dull gray appearance from the shot where Two Tubes is holding it. If it was actually gold, there's no way it would look gray in that shot. There are other factors as well. I'm using gold vinyl that is only semi reflective. They may have laser etched and/or gold plated the real prop. And the lighting is very different in my office from in that shot.
Having said that, I can still hold it in a way where the golds look much closer to the same color like in the photo you're talking about.
For example
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180724/ee4250bfd56d6a2e0c2fad6d86085128.jpg
Yeah, nothing to worry about I doubt it could be made better, it's just a small detail I noticed, and it's plenty good enough. The only way it maybe could be changed is if you find a different vinyl sticker. But that's kinda unescesarry.

I'd go for the semi shiny silver color, although it looks goldish on screen.
It only looks gray in the Two-Tubes shots, in all the close ups the raised surfaces appear metallic. Maybe two props have been used :confused
Reminds me of the white-or-silver-discussion about the surface of the death star data card :D

I would choose the golden one.
we have to think that the prop used in SOLO is 10 years newer than the one used in ROGUE ONE, it may be the same piece reused by the Imperials 10 years later , brings by body rock, imperial pilot.
Over time,use and dirt may have modified its original appearance...

I would choose the golden one.
we have to think that the prop used in SOLO is 10 years newer than the one used in ROGUE ONE, it may be the same piece reused by the Imperials 10 years later , brings by body rock, imperial pilot.
Over time,use and dirt may have modified its original appearance...

I doubt it's meant to be the same piece. Imperial issue, sure. but besides the circuit traces being the same pattern, the size, dimensions, design of the housing, etc are all different.
I'm doing a few more tests but the more I look at it, the more I'm convinced it's weathered silver on the housing. that's the only way you can get both a gray look and a shiny goldish look on the same surface with just angle and lighting change.

Edit; After printing both version in what I think is VERY close to perfect scale, the size differences are vast.
I have to think the only thing in common with them is that someone in the prop department grabbed the same file for making the circuit traces. But it's been shrunk down a lot in order to fit the security key from Solo. I don't remember seeing it in the film so the only thing I can go on is that one photo. But assuming the chain is standard dog tag chain, the beads are 3mm so that helps me scale it really close. Once this latest version is done I'll post more pics for people to critique.

Last edited:
I was referring to the golden color, obviously it's not the same piece ...
I think like you, it's just the same circuit with a different housing! ;)

Ugh... Spotted another problem with it. My chip is too thin. Is this the only photo of this prop?

I guess I'm assuming its recessed into the housing on both sides, but if you look at the bottom right corner where the housing is sitting on top of the chain, you can barely make out how thick the housing is, which looks really close to the thickness of mine. But it the chip is that much thicker than mine then it's not evenly recessed into the housing on both side, but rather sits low to the bottom side. Any ideas?

Untitled.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back