G1 Autobot Group Build

Trek920

working on about 10 G1 autobots at the moment. the pictures should help understand the process involved. any questions, please ask!

https://www.facebook.com/arizonaautobots

[URL=http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/Zareckimobile/media/10509695_10203391971852826_8506110135832025112_n.jpg.html]
10557285_1444734135788073_3421024145904487117_n.jpg
[/URL]

Very cool. Subscribed. I'll be doing transformers next year I think for Halloween. Attempting a TMNT build for this year. Are you covering the cardboard forms in foam? What kind of paint and method did you do on the foam heads? Looks great!

wow. After seeing the movie last week (3 rubber chickens) I was thinking I have not seen anyone attempt the original bumblebee. Well done. This will be awesome.

Warms my heart to see those old cartoon G1 Transformers. Good luck with the build. And I second Darth Vapor's question: are you covering the cardboard or just using that for sizing/POC and then cutting the true costume out of foam or another material?

i am covering the cardboard. using it for structural stability. my full scale space marine I didnt do that, but these guys I feel will be touched more by kids so will need some hardness factor.

Great work so far! The curves on the bumblebee body are turning out really nice. I like the carved faces as well. Keep up the great work!!!

Still lovin it..Bumblebee is spot on. Let us know how the cardboard lining helps the durability.

Still would like to know your paint process and what kind of paint your using. I spent way too much $$$ on painting my iron man suit. Making a TMNT shell out of foam and am looking for some advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and what did you use to carve the lines? They are very clean.

as always, the arms and shoulders are attached just like a stromtrooper.

Started work on Grimlocks head. the ears have since been chopped down width wise, as I thought they were far too wide.

hello!!! awesome builds!!! I like your method of adhering the eva foam onto the cardboard boxes for stability and a template of sorts! my 7ft optimus prime (with Peter Cullen as reference lol) is built from Elmer's foamboard which is basically paper glued on a foamboard which can rip if not careful. I wanted to improve my optimus with eva foam so I can wear him at more conventions and events. you're thread gave me the idea of simply using my existing optimus prime and adhering eva foam on top of it. what glue do you use to work with eva foam? any tips you have for me? thank you in advance!!!
SCAN0033.JPG

Carlos O
San Antonio, Texas

Hey Carlos, we have just been using hot glue to adhere the foam to the cardboard, it's working great so far.

As far as paint, we mostly just spray a few coats of plasti dip on the foam, then paint with rattle cans. There are some nice ones with the shiny, silver fleck in them that you can buy at Michael's.

Sorry to jump the tread Jay, just saw a few questions on here.
hello!!! awesome builds!!! I like your method of adhering the eva foam onto the cardboard boxes for stability and a template of sorts! my 7ft optimus prime (with Peter Cullen as reference lol) is built from Elmer's foamboard which is basically paper glued on a foamboard which can rip if not careful. I wanted to improve my optimus with eva foam so I can wear him at more conventions and events. you're thread gave me the idea of simply using my existing optimus prime and adhering eva foam on top of it. what glue do you use to work with eva foam? any tips you have for me? thank you in advance!!!
View attachment 370518

Carlos O
San Antonio, Texas

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back