Frostmourne(new pics) 1st build sword of The Lich King

godproject

So, I've been a lurker on this site for awhile. Dreamt of building my own Master Chief suit sometime ago and found the 405th. Got excited and went and got a printer and some thick paper and printed a pistol...6 months later I'd cut out about two of the pages for that pistol and probably lost a good portion of the rest. It's lost to posterity now. I built a few little things with my girlfriend and we had fun with it one night collect cool pepakuras and stowing them away for a rainy day. Those were mostly spent being naughty or on netflix. So then I decided I was going to find a way to make an iron man suit....and found this site. For three weeks straight anytime I was home I scoured through this forum....gathering information and ideas.

While this project started as something much more grandiose (and I wouldn't count that out just yet) I scaled it down a bit to be at least more feasible and to see some results. Well, I've done a bit on this project and that all should've probably been in my introduction speech in the sticky thread but here it is. But I digress.

I've been working on this sword for about maybe 6 hours in total so far. I ripped the files from the game and exported from 3DS Max into pepakura designer and unfolded it. Then I cut out the hilt and pieced it together and gave it some stability by placing a trimmed broom stick I had laying around down the paper hilt. Now it's a Low-polygon model that is meant to be used in the game so it has no real detail so to speak other than giving me a reference for size, shape, placement, etc. So tonight I started working with sculpey to get the details in and I was so proud of my results. Also, I'm eager to bounce my process off the other amazing and talented craftsmen/women and artists here so I'm posting my first build thread. Cue confetti and balloons. What? No confetti. Okay then...

This is the sword I'm making.... frostmourne

5822458683_b1858436e5_b.jpg
[/url]
100_0471 by trickoftheiprod, on Flickr[/IMG]

And here's the main goat heads skull I sculpted tonight...

5821124164_041e98053d.jpg

5820563407_5d0591a928.jpg

I also have the work I've done on the hilt and blade...

5822946656_1d344b67a9.jpg
[/url] 100_0467 by trickoftheiprod, on Flickr[/IMG]

5822946318_d964672874.jpg
[/url] 100_0466 by trickoftheiprod, on Flickr[/IMG]

5822382605_6ac6984738.jpg
[/url] 100_0468 by trickoftheiprod, on Flickr[/IMG]

5854786635_e5e0891da4.jpg
[/url] overhedskullbasenhndgrd by trickoftheiprod, on Flickr[/IMG]

5854786611_fb9721c7bd.jpg
[/url] handguarddetail by trickoftheiprod, on Flickr[/IMG]

5855338530_84b30e40bc.jpg
[/url] ovrhedswordprog by trickoftheiprod, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here's the work I've done. You can see how it will all fit together eventually. The handguard itself is solid sculpey. I do want to try to hollow it out and reinforce it so I can salvage some of the sculpey as it is damn expensive for the amount you get, but I like it...I plan on adding more detail after I bake it, with a hand-pick and possibly a dremel. The base for the sword is foamboard pieces stacked on each other and sculpey to make the bevel and eventually the runes inset.

Last edited:
Re: my first build to show on here....It's Frostmourne, the sword of The Lich King

Yeah thats how it is on mine as well. The render show up fine, but no 2nd/3rd pic love.

Re: Frostmourne(new pics 6/28) 1st build sword of The Lich King

Quick update....

5883149020_fa4634ba03.jpg
[/url] handguardendfrt by trickoftheiprod, on Flickr[/IMG]

5882587647_948ef23efe.jpg
[/url] handguardendside by trickoftheiprod, on Flickr[/IMG]

5882587615_02d8834620.jpg
[/url] handguardendiso by trickoftheiprod, on Flickr[/IMG]

This is the nearly finished version of the end piece of the hand-guard. I removed the bar so I could re-do it better and added this detail and baked the piece. All that's left is to sand it and then seal it. Oh and finish the rest of the sword....cast it.....cut it in half...add electronics....recast it.....do test paint-jobs on it.....decide on a new color scheme....and finally scrap the rest of the project to restart work on an Optimus Prime costume.

That master is gonna be one heavy mutha when you get it done. Be careful with the sculpey. It shrinks some when it cures and will crack over time when placed over a substrate material.

Another material you can try is DAS air dry clay. Can be bought at Michaels and will not shrink when it dries. This could allow you to build up layers in plastic and cover it in clay and save on material.

thats pretty awesome man. nice work on that and your cap america shield too. I'm trying to get away from that look. I like the more extreme version in the pic I put up top and Ive added some personal flairs.

thats pretty awesome man. nice work on that and your cap america shield too. I'm trying to get away from that look. I like the more extreme version in the pic I put up top and Ive added some personal flairs.

I like that as well! but.. in steel, the person, although he was 7ft tall, probably would not be able to lift it too easily, much less fight with in the stage show they did, lol.

and now for more....

This is the Goats head for the other side of the blade. I wanted its dimensions to be similar to the Rams head but identifiable as its own sculpt and not just a reproduction. I shot them side-by-side so you can see the comparison.

6010664900_d9764a6e26.jpg
[/url] 100_0537 by trickoftheiprod, on Flickr[/IMG]

6010664888_ea3bce193f.jpg
[/url]
100_0536 by trickoftheiprod, on Flickr[/IMG]

6010116385_cbd4518b43.jpg
[/url]
100_0534 by trickoftheiprod, on Flickr[/IMG]

There you go..let me know what you think.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back