Fringe Observer Communicator - Part ID?

Tothiro

Hi,
I searched a bit on Fringe props but only found threads discussing the show itself.
I'm curious if anyone has ID'ed the box used for the Observer's Communicators... I thought at first perhaps a Survey Compass case, but I haven't been able to come up with anything. Anyone have some insight?

Screengrabs for ref:
oc_1.jpg

oc_2.jpg

oc_3.jpg

I took some screen-caps from the making-of doc on the DVD and managed to identify it as a Kuhrt brand German compass from WW1 (or is it WW2?).

open.jpg

I've been keeping an eye out on eBay, but these tend to go for around $80-100 (which is more than I'd be willing to pay for prop with so little screen-time).

Not to be confused with the Kuhrt II compass (which is more readily available, and cheaper), which is very similar but has different details.

I took some screen-caps from the making-of doc on the DVD and managed to identify it as a Kuhrt brand German compass from WW1 (or is it WW2?).

open.jpg

I've been keeping an eye out on eBay, but these tend to go for around $80-100 (which is more than I'd be willing to pay for prop with so little screen-time).

Not to be confused with the Kuhrt II compass (which is more readily available, and cheaper), which is very similar but has different details.

Excellent, good eye! Thank you much... at least I have something new to add to the search list!
Looks like the patent info on that sets it at 1939. It also appears the only change was the inset for the character key plate...

compassmuseum.com offers up the following specs:
Technical Data- Case: bakelite
- Dimensions: 90 x 77 x 18 mm
- Ruler: 70 mm
- Weight: 115 g
- Divisions inner scale: 6400 mils, counterclockwise
- Divisions outer scale: 360 degrees, clockwise

As insane as it is I may jut file it away for a scratch build project later...

Last edited:

open.jpg

Great find! I was wondering about this the day that show aired!

Isn't the compass set into the lid though? that door looks flat

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back