Freddies Glove

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by kdawg1, Sep 20, 2005.

1. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

I'd like to make a Nightmare on Elm Street Fredy Glove, is there anywhere on the net to show how or atleast some sort of dimentions or some to aid in the building of one of these.

2. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

Just buy mine and study it :lol (Junkyard)

3. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Its not much, but there is some info here:

http://nightmareonelmstreetfilms.com/night...wstheglove.html

There are bound to be plans online somewhere.

I remember making a Freddy glove when I was a kid from copper pipes and cheap kitchen knives. First 'proper' prop I ever made, I think, aside from a Ghostbusters pack from an old hoover. :D

If you find the plans / templates, please let me know as I wouldn't mind having another go at one of these at some point.

4. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

I have a template that some other kind RPF'er sent me several months back when I was looking into making a couple of these. (I have two bladeless gloves sitting on a shelf right now waiting for me to get some blades going...)

This needs to be printed at 300 DPI to look right. Oddly enough though, one image program I have prints this out fine and another prints it out giant size so do a print preview and play with it ahead of time.

Freddy Glove Template

No credit to myself for this. I just wish I could remember who was nice enough to post it for me on here a few months ago.

5. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

q

Thanks for all the info. I'm just gathering the info for now so I'm ready for when the snow flies.

6. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Yeah, thanks from me too Flagg, for the template. :)

7. dkwd

dkwd Well-Known Member

Nope - it's a giant glove for me - I can never figure out how to resize to print 300DPI - I would noremally copy and drop it into paint or word - but it doesn't seem to let me copy it either.

David

8. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

Usually on your photo editing program under the print options you will see one for size or quality. You can usually change your DPI there.

I use photo impression and it comes out fine. If I use Adobe though it's all FUBAR.

9. Reaper57

Reaper57 Well-Known Member

i made mine fron emt conduit and a metal box cover ,.

i did not like he copper type.

john :cool

10. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

THose were realy old plans of mine. :lol If you use it you need the makebackpllate alot maller the rear of the blade longer and you need to make the finger tips longer. I used 3/4 inch copper type m pipe to make mine this is what it looked like. You need to use 1 inch. This is temps for the VS glove

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see teh fingertips are way to short.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Magic Man

Magic Man Well-Known Member

Freddy gloves are very easy to make. You shouldn't have a problem.

Brad

12. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

They are easy I wan't gona lie about it. Soldering it is a bitch though.

13. Ash

Ash Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Bump awaiting more info

-Ash

14. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

I agree, still havent gotten soldering the blades to work right. I cant find anything inexpensive to use as blades except steak knives, which are stainless and refuse to solder. I have a work around for that until I can find another type of metal to use though so for now I'm happy.

15. E2K13

E2K13 New Member

You need to use Brazing Rods to attach the Blades. Connecting Copper to Steel is a pain but I was always successful with Brazing rods.
    For those not firmiliar with Brazing Rods, they are similar to solder in the respect of how they are used but suit this purpose well.

I also always used Copper Conduit for the fingers. It is already bent at the right shape and easy to cut with a pair of tin snips and dremel.
    Good luck

16. Ash

Okay so we have the plans. do you have an actual step by step process if someone was to do this for my I would OWE them so HUGE. I'm trying to do a Freddy Costume and my brother wants to do a Jason Costume and we wanna scare the crap outta some kids and adults before, durring, and after trick o' treating.

-Ash

17. Ash

Bump

-Ash

18. troopermaster

troopermaster Well-Known Member

Here's a couple of pics I found a while back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I remember making one of these years ago when I was still at school.Funny how I was only thinking about making another one the other week when I saw some copper pipe laying around.I never actually fixed the blades on though,but I would if I made one now.

Paul. :D

19. burningman

burningman Well-Known Member

I actually built mine back in 88 and did it using the begining of the first film as a guide. I made mine almost exactly the same way but my blades were plated brass.

20. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

Here is the first one I built. Type M 3/4 copper pipe. I just used the pic from the sweater bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Ash

Okay maybe I should just ask some questions then...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help.

-Ash

22. burningman

Welp I used copper pipe on mine and cut it lengthwise and trimmed it to shape then just beat it on an anvil i had access to too make the right shape. My finger rings were just section of the same pipe cut out to make rings then brased in to the fingers. My joints were all done with brass rivets.

Alot od the freedy gloves I've seen use kinda fat blades. I made them tomato knife thin. Very very close to the first movie shape.

23. Ash

Bump

-Ash

24. dkwd

dkwd Well-Known Member

I never understood one thing about this. - What's up with the thong on the back of the wrist?
    Was it part of the base glove or added. What purpose is it for?

David

25. burningman

part of the glove if you are reffering to the little strap thing

26. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

Those are actualy parer brads from staples. I didn't have arecource for rivets back then.

27. turok96

turok96 Well-Known Member

I have one question that needs to be asked. What was the brand of leather glove used for making the prop? I kind of forgot and don't remember. :confused

28. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, can someone tell us teh make of the glove or a source for a glove that wold look right?

29. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

You won't find them anymore they stoped making that model . They are Wells Lamont gloves (All of the movies) the closeset you will find is a standard STANLEY working glove. They are a dead match accept for the drawstring

30. turok96

Ok, now I have a stupid question. What is connected to the glove so it won't fall. The triangle points on the plate or at the points where the joints meet the main plate or both?

31. Bowelrock

Bowelrock Sr Member

The versus glove used both the knuckle rivets and backplate rivets. All the original gloves just used the 3 back plate rivets.

32. turok96

Thanks for the info Bowelrock. :)

33. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

OK, I'm going crazy here trying to get this to work to no avail. I asked months ago how to attach the blades and was given all types of advice on how to solder them in place. NOne of it worked. I asked again and was told to try brazing them. I went out and got a new torch that will burn hot enough to braze and am having much the same problem...

I can get the brazing rod to stick to the SS blade but for the life of me I cant get it to flow onto the copper to hold everything in place. I tried just using the brazing rod which was covered in flux with no luck. I tried adding acid flux paste and that didnt work either. I did eventually manage to heat the copper to the point that one finger pretty much fell apart into tiny pieces while trying to figure out how to do this though. LOL. WHat am I doing wrong here??

I have tried heating the blade until its red hot while trying not to bake the copper until it crumbles and that didnt work. I tried heating the brazing rod until it was nearly molten and then heating the blade/copper and sticking the rod in quick and that go me a clump of brazing rod to stick to the blade but regardless of how much I heated it after it wouldnt flow onto the copper or any further onto the blade itself.

Just for information sake I am using heavy copper flashing and not a copper pipe or conduit for the fingers and back plate. Maybe theres something about that kind of copper that isnt helping matters??

Please. Someone help me out here. Anyone. I'm begging you. :p

34. DarthCalibar

DarthCalibar Well-Known Member

COUGH*bump*COUGH

35. DarthCalibar

DarthCalibar Well-Known Member

ok, well now that i finally decided to attempt a freddy glove the template on page one doesnt work. anyone have it saved, have another template or anything?
    thanks.

36. clownluv15

clownluv15 Well-Known Member

someone should repost the template,along wit a complete tutorial.

37. Goldenrod

Goldenrod Sr Member

Just epoxy the blades on and paint the epoxy around the blades silver. No one will be the wiser once you've weathered it all:)

38. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Here's mine - I would like to thank topshelfcollections for making me this. The workmanship is top notch, I can gighly recommend these gloves for anyone considering owning a replica of this prop at a great price.

I actually made one of these for myself many years ago, it was one of the first 'real' props I ever attempted - so its great to have a (much better.) replica back in my collection.

Right, on with the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards,

Al

39. Gman666

Gman666 Well-Known Member

Got a link? Do they make different versions? I hate that style of backplates. Cool glove.

Greg

40. Simmon M

Simmon M Sr Member

Check out Nightmaregloves.com - I think there's a tutorial there (I'm at work and too lazy to check). Here's one of his gloves in my collection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

41. clownluv15

42. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(clownluv15 @ May 11 2006, 04:06 AM) [snapback]1242344[/snapback]</div>
    I've just modified my glove to become a generic parts 1 - 3 style. Parts 1 & 3 are my fave NOES movies, so that's really the replica I wanted.

Firstly, I cut down and modified the backplate then added a few paint and weathering effects to more closely resemble the screen-used look. Next, I did a liottle work on the steel knives, adding weathering and bright metallic highlights to the edges. Finally, I reshaped the finger sections a little bit making them slightly more slender and closer to the part 1 glove.

I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, here are the results - much improved, I think. These are thumbnails - just click on them to expand the size:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards

Al

43. clownluv15

dude thats sweet,still havent got to start on mine yet.could you post the pattern?what gauge copper did you use?

44. staermose

staermose Sr Member

Ditto to what clownluv15 said.

:)

45. mike5150

mike5150 Well-Known Member

My gloves but of course I didn't make them. :D

[​IMG]

46. clownluv15

who made those?I would love to own one,i would like even more to make it myself.i think i have a good template to go off by,trying to get as close to the actual glove on pt 3,but i dont know what chemical to use to strip the sheen of of the copper,or how to blacken the brass or color the fingers right,anyone willing to share their secrets?

47. mike5150

The Part 1 is from Kruegear and the Part 4 is from Razorback Replicas aka SecondSkin Studios.

48. Lifehost

Lifehost New Member

I'd also be very interested in making one of these for myself.

Any chance someone could post the template back up, and maybe a tutorial showing metal work and such? I have not the slightest clue where to begin, not even the brand and type of glove to buy. I would much rather make my own than spend $250 at nightmaregloves.com, even though they look superb...

So, would appreciate it :D

49. DemonSeed

DemonSeed Well-Known Member

I knew a glove maker a while back, and he used a black automotive epoxy that came in a can from the automotive section of walmart.

I work in a sheet metal shop. good luck soldering SS to copper. that would be a mircacle, i think its not possible.

Wheres the template?? I could knock a glove out in a day. ALSO i have a insulation knife that looks dead on to the part 1 blades. If I work tommorrow ill snap pics.

50. mike5150

I think anyone can make a glove but the detail put into one is what makes or breaks it.