Fred Astaire movie

joberg

Legendary Member
New Fred Astaire movie with Tom Holland in the leading role:unsure: I don't think he's the right choice for that role, but I would've chosen Peter Sasgaard instead.
1638824041895.png
1638824060006.png

I don't know. With his hair slicked back, and his higher toned voice Holland could pull it off. But with his success in portraying Spiderman, audiences might not accept him in the Astaire role.

tom-holland-photo-jason-kempin-getty-images-801510482-profile.jpg

TazMan2000

Hmmmmm….Astaire reportedly never wanted a bio-pic made of his life and even had it placed in his will.

I am wondering how a creatively bankrupt Hollywood is going to approach this one…the standard formula won’t work for Astaire. That standard for formula, seen in nearly ALL Hollywood bio-pics of singers, dancers, and actors is:

- In the first act, the star grows up in a hazy sepia setting and is recognized early as a gifted talent. A parent or sibling usually dies.

- in the second act, the star EXPLODES on the scene.

- The third act is defined by a self-destructive phase, usually plagued by alcohol and drug use and a career slump.

- The fourth act is capped-off by a “triumphant return” usually captured at a concert (if they are a singer) or movie or play (if they are an actor or dancer). Then they die.

Perhaps they will warp Astaire’s life to for that narrative formula?

Last edited:
They probably selected Tom because of his dancing experience. Then again, when Donald O'Connor was selected to dance/sing in "Singing in the Rain", he wasn't a dancer and had to re-hearse long hours over many months to achieve a very good performance. So, they could've selected someone else...no word on the actress who'll play Ginger;)

While I am certainly aware of the greatness of Fred Astaire, I can't say that I've ever watched any of his movies.

To me, he is the Postman in Santa Claus is Comin' to Town......and that in and of itself is greatness. I mean, who doesn't watch that every year?

While I am certainly aware of the greatness of Fred Astaire, I can't say that I've ever watched any of his movies.

To me, he is the Postman in Santa Claus is Comin' to Town......and that in and of itself is greatness. I mean, who doesn't watch that every year?

Try The Band Wagon (1953) just for the silent-noir-dance play he puts on. It's genuinely great.

I have seen many of the dance scenes from his movies, just not the entire movies. The one that comes to mind is the one where he dances up the wall and onto the ceiling.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back