Fraggle Rock Doozer build!

The latest prop build—A Fraggle Rock Doozer! Despite bring a fan of Jim Henson’s creations, I don’t know much about Fraggle Rock. But I’ve always thought the design of the Doozers to be instantly likable, and each one of them looks subtly unique.

Photo of original Doozers for reference:

View attachment 1449175

I got this incredible kit from a well known member here—who wishes to remain anonymous, so don’t ask me where I got it, haha—through a recent trade. The body is foam with a wire armature inside; resin hat, gloves, and boots; and urethane belt pieces. The parts have lineage to an original production piece, making it even more cool. All parts are very clean—I didn’t really need to do much prior to putting things together and getting ready for paint and flocking.

A quick cel phone shot of it in its raw state:

View attachment 1449154

Some minor trimming here and there, and attaching the limbs (not glued in yet at this stage)

View attachment 1449155

View attachment 1449156

I gave the foam body a light coat of paint, to help make it easier for the flocking to blend with later, color wise. Also started to paint some of the accessories.

View attachment 1449157

Flock test:

View attachment 1449161

View attachment 1449158

This was my first time working with flocking, but it worked out pretty well. I used a spray adhesive, but if i were to try it again I’d probably try using a brush on adhesive (I hear mod podge works too, but takes a very long time to cure). Blast the piece with the flocking tube. Afterwards, I gave the piece a few light sprays of matte medium mixed with water, to help make the flocking a bit more durable. I had to do the flocking outside—it’s a real mess and gets everywhere!

View attachment 1449159

Experimenting with a few mustaches. I glued the hair to a small piece of thin wire, and the wire just simply pokes into the foam and stay put, while remaining removable. I also gave parts of his body a few light mist coats of Tamiya brown and green colors, to help create a very subtle hint of shading.

View attachment 1449160

View attachment 1449163

View attachment 1449177

View attachment 1449180

Belt material is very flexible urethane. A lot of really nice detailing captured in the castings:

View attachment 1449164

Belt assembled and glued together with superglue. I also changed his mustache. The eyes are sewing pins!

View attachment 1449165

The rest was fairly straightforward, but I decided to make a small pencil accessory for him, complete with a real eraser :D

View attachment 1449166

Tools:

View attachment 1449168

Current—finished?—state. I may add a few more accessories to his belt, but it’s basically finished, aside from the two little ‘antenna’ that are often seen hanging out of the bottom of their helmets. This was easily one of the most fun builds I’ve ever done. I think the variety of different materials used makes the piece even more interesting!

View attachment 1449167

View attachment 1449170
View attachment 1449171

View attachment 1449172

View attachment 1449173
I'm sorry for replying to such an old post.

But I'd like to know what type of foam you used to make the articulated puppet bodies and where can I find it, I also have plans of building a similar type of puppet for a small stop-motion project.

My Latest!

Attachments

• HC1.jpg
    HC1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 90
  • HC2.jpg
    HC2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 84
  • HC3.jpg
    HC3.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 81
I'm sorry for replying to such an old post.

But I'd like to know what type of foam you used to make the articulated puppet bodies and where can I find it, I also have plans of building a similar type of puppet for a small stop-motion project.

I used FOAM IT 17 for mine. SMOOTH ON product, but, depending on your puppet, you might go with a softer or harder foam.

Frank

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back