FORBIDDEN PLANET Uniforms...?

MaskMaker

Little help...? There's not a lot online that I have found. I do have some logo patches on order and am working on a blaster kit. Need to know if anyone out there might have a handy-dandy uniform pattern lying around. :cool

I don't have a pattern lying around, but the idea of someone doing this costume is making me smile. Great movie, great costume. Good Luck!

3c2d43ddb9e40a12cbdd0a015ae06004.jpg

My seamstress wife is a genius at altering patterns, but I thought I'd give a looksee just in case there WAS something out there. Great photo, by the way.
On a related note, I got to see FORBIDDEN PLANET on the big screen a few years back at WonderFest. Ann Francis was the headliner guest and she introduced the film. It was quite an experience.:cool

Little help...? There's not a lot online that I have found. I do have some logo patches on order and am working on a blaster kit. Need to know if anyone out there might have a handy-dandy uniform pattern lying around. :cool

I don't know if you're still interested, but this might be of some minor help to you:

Although I don't create costumes myself, not too long ago I got a wild hair up my ass about figuring out the rank system used for the crew uniforms aboard the C-57D. To the Blu-Ray player, Robin!

After way too many hours searching and freeze-framing, I came up with what (I think, anyway) is a pretty accurate rundown of the various ranks and insignia used in the film. I have them as Illustrator files; if you're interested, let me know here, and I'll try to post what I have as PNGs for your inspection.

I realize this doesn't help much with constructing an overall pattern, but hey, every little bit helps, right?

Good luck, they were really nicely designed uniforms. Too bad they showed up in 10 episodes of the Twilight Zone.

At least Twilight Zone treated them with a little respect. But they also showed up, in full color, in that immortal 1950's stinkburger, Queen of Outer Space; now that's humiliating.

Well... nobody's asked for this, but I did it... and it's not doing anyone any good just sitting on my hard drive. So here it is.

Most of the ranks and the characters they belong to are obvious to anyone who's seen the film: Commander, Ship's Surgeon and Lieutenant belong to the characters of Adams (Leslie Nielsen), Ostrow (Warren Stevens) and Farman (Jack Kelly). The Crewman 1st Class patch is worn by the extras and the few "crewman" speaking parts in the film; the moon-shaped 2nd Class patch is worn by Cookie (Earl Holliman), the ship's cook, and no one else as far as I can see.

The remaining two noncom ranks don't come from the script, but are purely conjectural based on clues. The Bosun (George Wallace) is in charge of all the crewmembers, so I decided he was probably a CPO. (Bosun, or boatswain, isn't a formal rank as such, being a holdover from early merchant marine vessels, so it's being used in FP as a traditional, informal title, much the same way as first officers on Star Trek are referred to as Number One). Chief Quinn (Richard Anderson) is the head engineer, and noncommissioned technical leads in the Navy are usually warrant officers, so that's where that came from.

Enough jawing. Here's the graphic:

Last edited:
I've been working on this project for a long time - here's some images of a preliminary uniform jacket repro. Let me know what you think.

Yes, was not tailor fitted to fella modeling it for the pictures - was a preliminary jacket design made to evaluate pattern & fabric. Plan on offering tailor made jackets and optional trousers in the near future depending on interest. Will be nice to have a complete uniform with the cap and belt with attachments.

They re-used these FP uniforms in a couple of low-budget sci-fi films in the early 1960s!

The stories I've read about outfits being reused in different TV series and movies are outrageous.

Yes, was not tailor fitted to fella modeling it for the pictures - was a preliminary jacket design made to evaluate pattern & fabric. Plan on offering tailor made jackets and optional trousers in the near future depending on interest. Will be nice to have a complete uniform with the cap and belt with attachments.

Some time ago some friends and I looked into recreating this costume. We never actaully did, but we had determined that the fabric used was most likely a wool gaberdine -which had been used by our military for the U.S. uniform at that time- judging by the way the fabric drapes over the body and also considering that the designers had stated they were going for a military type of uniform. Wool also seemed to be the fabric of choice for a lot of Hollywood costumes in those days.

Hopefully this will help narrow the selection of fabric for this costume.

Some time ago some friends and I looked into recreating this costume. We never actaully did, but we had determined that the fabric used was most likely a wool gaberdine -which had been used by our military for the U.S. uniform at that time- judging by the way the fabric drapes over the body and also considering that the designers had stated they were going for a military type of uniform. Wool also seemed to be the fabric of choice for a lot of Hollywood costumes in those days.

Hopefully this will help narrow the selection of fabric for this costume.

You are absolutely CORRECT. I saw a real uniform shirt at the FORBIDDEN PLANET REUNION in November 98 at an autograph show in Orlando, Fl. It was owned by some people I knew. Got a good close look. Wish I had had a camera to take PICS though.:cry

Confirms information I received that originals were made using wool. Is quite difficult finding a RELIABLE material source for both the correct (or suitable) fabric AND that specific color but I am determined.

Any leads to a good fabric supplier for this project will be much appreciated.

I'm very interested in making these. I've been collecting what images I could find over the years & the best info seems to be coming from the current trend - prop auctions. (watch the skies!)
I really appreciate the work that was done on that 'ranking system'!!!
Thanx for posting that!

I've basically given up on this after working with 3-4 local seamstresses who couldn't seem to tackle the project with enthusiasm and persist at it until a satisfactory result was acheived. Of course, throwing mucho $$ at them (which I don't have to spend) may have helped but in any case it seems there is a real problem obtaining suitable material (and a source for).

One of the actual uniforms (George Wallace's) was auctioned off sometime back and I will post pictures with this.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back